Missing samples with iOS 11

Recently updated to iOS 11. Every beat I’ve made with samples are coming up with the samples missing. Even older beats that I did with iOS 10 that I worked on more and saved with iOS 11 are gone. WTF!!!!!!
iPad Air 2 iOS 11

Comments

• You mean like old projects are OK when opening them in ios 11, but after saving in ios 11 and re-opening the samples are gone? That sounds potentially really bad if so :/ Think I have a few throwaway sessions saved pre ios11 I can test on. Will check in a bit.
  • edited September 2017

Could be that iOS has done some 'clean up' prior to the update?

I do not know how BM3 'tags' it files on the system level?
    Some apps tag files as 'temporary', 'safe for deletion' or 'cache' etc.

When iOS needs 'space' it will auto-delete those types of files...

OT, I just had my first 'crash' under iOS11. BM3 bailed on me when I tried to rename a bank.
    The 'Auto Save' just contained the first sample I had loaded in the new session...
    (When it crashed the session had 3 banks and 10+ patterns that 'got lost').

Hopefully @mathieugarcia catches the crashes in crash-logs... (iPad Air 2, iOS11.0).

Cheers!
    /Samuel

• edited September 2017

@Heyez said:
    You mean like old projects are OK when opening them in ios 11, but after saving in ios 11 and re-opening the samples are gone? That sounds potentially really bad if so :/ Think I have a few throwaway sessions saved pre ios11 I can test on. Will check in a bit.

Yep. Even old projects. It was happening and I thought it was because I sampled the same song differently on 2 different tracks but then I opened up old unfinished projects to add new ideas and saved them and the samples are pretty much gone. Projects that I don’t use samples are ok old and new.

• @samu said:
    Could be that iOS has done some 'clean up' prior to the update?

I do not know how BM3 'tags' it files on the system level?
    Some apps tag files as 'temporary', 'safe for deletion' or 'cache' etc.

When iOS needs 'space' it will auto-delete those types of files...

OT, I just had my first 'crash' under iOS11. BM3 bailed on me when I tried to rename a bank.
    The 'Auto Save' just contained the first sample I had loaded in the new session...
    (When it crashed the session had 3 banks and 10+ patterns that 'got lost').

Hopefully @mathieugarcia catches the crashes in crash-logs... (iPad Air 2, iOS11.0).

Cheers!
    /Samuel

Sorry to hear that Samu. I have an air 2 128gb. I thought about what you said but I have 58gb of available space.

• Am I the only one with this issue @mathieugarcia? I tried to redo one ofntge beats that I sampled and chopped and got the same results once I saved and opened it again. Please help.
  • edited September 2017

Hey @hansjbs,

It seems to be an uncommon issue. To get some context:

• Did you reinstall the app at some point?
    • Where you using a beta version of iOS11?
    • Did you move or rename files manually using the Files browser mode or an external app (iFunbox, etc.).

Anyway, I have good news for you. I added a tool that will locate missing samples automatically. This can happen for example if you rename directories. This would probably help you fix your loading issues. Available in the upcoming 3.0.4 update.

Cheers!
    Mathieu.

• edited September 2017

@mathieugarcia said:

Cheers!
    Mathieu.

Been waiting for this one! This is very helpful!

"Search from Session/Bank directory" does this also allow for a manual search function? or does it just search that session's banks? Meaning can sessions now be moved, then loaded and we can point search to where we know the files are?

Cheers,

King

• Anyway, I have good news for you. I added a tool that will locate missing samples automatically. This can happen for example if you rename directories. This would probably help you fix your loading issues. Available in the upcoming 3.0.4 update.

Cheers!
    Mathieu.

This is fantastic, thanks @mathieugarcia!

• Hmm.... But if the sample is/was 'renamed' shouldn't there be an option to 'browse' for a sample that will replace the missing sample? (Search will never find the original if it was renamed!?).

• edited September 2017
    @mathieugarcia
    None of the above
    I did not move my files. They're still in the import folder. Never reinstalled the app.I installed ios 11 last weekend, (never used a beta version) and that's when the trouble started. I'm hoping the 3.04 update will fix my problems. Weird that no one else have this issue. I've tried it a few times with the same results. Even restarted the iPad just to be safe. Oh well. Here's to hoping 3.04 does it. Thank you for the reply.
  • edited September 2017

Regarding [808 DR02]

"20, Missing files in loading sessions should have the option to Auto-search or manually search before the session is fully loaded. BM3 should be able to locate them and give you the option to load (individually).

@vincent said: We can add a "relocate missing files" option when there are missing samples."

(Developers of their word!)

King

• @mathieugarcia is there a way I can get my tracks back before this update. I want to make some more sampled music but afraid to loose more work. Why when I open the session it’s looking in the unsaved sessions for all the sessions I did even though they were saved.

• I dont know if it’s just me, but I’m getting a lot of missing files lately and i have lost recordings and edits/changes many times when processing audio tracks.

I have tried the save in the audio edit section, then save sessions and samples, or save session and samples as, but the edited/new files were simply not created. I was checking in the file browser at the same time (yep, I have refreshed the directory), and nothing was being added. Upon re-opening I was greeted with the missing files error.

This was all with recorded audio track tracks from my interface and saving session and samples. Happened so many times with different projects that I'm totally paranoid about using BM3 for audio. I'll probably jump to Cubasis from now on.

• You should contact Intua direct, that is very very bad!!

• Looks like I'm not the only one. This is th same issue I still have. You're right saving sessions with samples doesn't always work. I stopped using BM3 for now and went back to iMPC Pro.
  • Has anyone here who is experiencing missing samples recently flushed their Unsaved Sessions folder?

...the other day I made the foolish mistake of completely deleting my 'Unsaved Sessions' folder in BM3. I thought to myself 'surely there's nothing I need in this folder'

It turns out I didn't always use the "Save session with samples as.." when I eventually saved my sessions with a proper filename. This meant that any samples I recorded whilst the sessions were in an unsaved state were actually stored in the Unsaved Sessions folder, so flushing that folder has meant I've now got a few sessions that load with missing samples (as they are still trying to reference locations in /Unsaved Sessions)

I thought this might be worth sharing with others.. and (hopefully) it might explain a few of the missing samples experienced above, just in case it isn't actually a bug.

• Even with the unsaved sessions available I get the same. I tried load both unsaved and saved sessions. Nothing. I'm convinced its a bug.
  • I have never deleted unsaved sessions, and I have always used save sessions and samples. Theoretically this would mean that I should never get the missing samples error.

• 'Recordings' and 'Samples' are to my knowledge treated a bit differently so my guess is that the 'save session with samples' only saves/copies the 'samples' and leaves 'recordings' behind in what ever temporary session/directory they were recorded/processed to/with?(I seldom use audio-tracks and use BM3 more like a 'Roland W30').

I've not bumped into 'missing samples' unless I intentionally renamed or moved the samples...

• edited October 2017

Here's a summary of what caused my first missing sample error:

1. Started a new session
    2. Loaded a plugin and recorded some samples to pads (eg drum hits)
    3. After I'd made some progress I saved the session with a name - but didn't use 'Save session with samples'
    4. At some later date I flushed the Unsaved sessions folder, not realising it contained recorded samples that were referenced in my 'saved/named' sessions.

I just need to remind myself to either (a) save the session before I start sampling, so that all recordings go into the active session folder, or (b) remember to use the 'save session with samples' if my unsaved session contains newly recorded samples.