BM3 Beat Battle 02 (Entries by Oct 31st)

Comments

• @Sygma said:
    I would say this is a pop track, with different synths (Zeeon, Poison 202, iSem and Elektron Analog Keys), and of course all drums from the copper drumkit. Everything is done on BM3 of course !

I listened. I enjoyed it. I will listen again. The descending arpeggio is great - did you modulate the synth itself or filter the sound in BM3 to get the tonal variation?
    Love the sounds you’ve used. Like @triton100, I got 80s throwback soundtrack vibes [the plan is being executed and it’s tense, but the good guys are going to kick ass].

• @TheMediocritist said:

@Sygma said:
    I would say this is a pop track, with different synths (Zeeon, Poison 202, iSem and Elektron Analog Keys), and of course all drums from the copper drumkit. Everything is done on BM3 of course !

I listened. I enjoyed it. I will listen again. The descending arpeggio is great - did you modulate the synth itself or filter the sound in BM3 to get the tonal variation?
    Love the sounds you’ve used. Like @triton100, I got 80s throwback soundtrack vibes [the plan is being executed and it’s tense, but the good guys are going to kick ass].

Thank you! Great that you appreciate the 80s vibe as it is where I come from.
    The arpeggio is iSem, and I used BM3 automation for the cutoff, the lfo amount and the envelop decay of lfo

• Hey @Sygma

I'm really glad you decided to 'break cover' and find the confidence to start posting music on the internet. It's a really important step in your journey as a musician, and I'm so pleased it was sparked in some way by these BM3 Battles.

You've done a great job here BTW, and I can see you have a real feel for the soundtrack style. Production quality seems really high, but the thing I am most impressed by... you've obviously got a really strong concept of song structure - something which most amateurs (myself very much included) often have a great difficulty being good at.

I'm really keen to hear more of your productions - is this your usual music style?

T

• Phenomenal !!

• @tk32 said:
    Hey @Sygma

I'm really glad you decided to 'break cover' and find the confidence to start posting music on the internet. It's a really important step in your journey as a musician, and I'm so pleased it was sparked in some way by these BM3 Battles.

You've done a great job here BTW, and I can see you have a real feel for the soundtrack style. Production quality seems really high, but the thing I am most impressed by... you've obviously got a really strong concept of song structure - something which most amateurs (myself very much included) often have a great difficulty being good at.

I'm really keen to hear more of your productions - is this your usual music style?

T

@tk32 thank you so much for the feedback! It is like being face a mirror as what you said is exactly what I feel I am as a musician: for me music is a question of atmosphere and feelings, and that’s why I like having quieter parts in my song and then rises and more heavier parts after. I actually played guitar in bands in the past, and I guess this is where I learned to compose with good song structures, even if I have to say that I feel much less comfortable with synths (I never learned music theory)

You can hear some more music from me here :

• @Sygma nice jam :) Did you consider having the drums come in at 1.26? Just that the synth stuff sounds really nice and might be cool to just let that wash around for a while by itself without beats? Works great as it is, not knocking it all! Just personally would be curious to hear those synths without drums for a while to start with and see how that feels with beats coming in later. Great track either way tho mate :)
  • edited October 2017

I can't really fault it @Sygma. Involuntary replays is always a good sign, isn't it? Not in a position to judge, but I would suggest stereo balance tweaks, a small drop in the mids (or possibly in some of the instruments) and possibly side chained compression on the kick pulling on the lower notes, but that said... it would be ready for production in a full scaled DAW. Amazing you got that far in BM3 - respect! :)

• @Heyez said:
    @Sygma nice jam :) Did you consider having the drums come in at 1.26? Just that the synth stuff sounds really nice and might be cool to just let that wash around for a while by itself without beats? Works great as it is, not knocking it all! Just personally would be curious to hear those synths without drums for a while to start with and see how that feels with beats coming in later. Great track either way tho mate :)

@Heyez thank you ! Drums have always been my weak spot, and my tracks usually lack of diversity in drums. Which is a shame in a Beat Making forum :)

• @Nick said:
    I can't really fault it @Sygma. Involuntary replays is always a good sign, isn't it? Not in a position to judge, but I would suggest stereo balance tweaks, a small drop in the mids (or possibly in some of the instruments) and possibly side chained compression on the kick pulling on the lower notes, but that said... it would be ready for production in a full scaled DAW. Amazing you got that far in BM3 - respect! :)

@Nick thank you for the tip ! I am sure this would need proper mastering, I just used Bark Filter on the main out. Anyway, I don't have a good monitoring system, and I have to say I never dived into mastering (I guess this is because my tracks are not aimed to be shared)

• @triton100

I have seriously had "careless whisper" stuck in my head for the last two weeks -

;)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @triton100 I'm not sure the anticipation could be any higher for your next entry.

Love the positive vibes and enthusiasm everyone is showing in this thread.

...my track is also coming along well (in case you were wondering). The copper kit is truly quite a flexible thing of beauty. I've only had to modify a few envelopes, pitches and FX to squeeze out the few missing elements and textures for my beats.

@DeanDaughters (reigning champion) -- how goes it with you?
  • edited October 2017
    Any excuse to sing again, eh @triton100 ?

I think really you're just a vocal exhibitionist :)

...I do agree that the sounds dictate the style. I'm making tracks that are far from where I normally gravitate.
  • I salute your commitment and dedication. Please keep doing what you're doing.

It's always the easier option just to stick to instrumentals, or worse, like me... an iPad filled with 4 year's worth of crappy 8-bar loops ;)
  • Hey guys --

Looking forward to hearing some more entries! Work your magic and get them submitted!

I was not planning to "submit" an official entry to this one - I did show an idea I made with the kit though in the Free Drumkit video on page 1 of this thread. If I were to have submitted something, it would have been a fleshed out version of that bass music groove I think because I totally dig on it :)

But in general, my personal opinion would be that the last battle challenge winner would not actually "enter" the next contest that they have set the rules for. Certainly an unofficial "example entry" should be welcome which is why I mentioned my video example.

I hope that makes sense - I was hoping this policy would encourage more entries as nobody would ever be directly competing with the "winner" of the last challenge - leaving the field of competition wide open for all new players to feel that they have a solid shot at the title.

That being said, however, I am already 100% eager to throw down unmeasurable heat on Battle Challenge #3 in the hopes of reclaiming the Battle Challenge title ;)

(sorry I am long-winded)
    :D

• @DeanDaughters

Totally understand your position and reasoning. But also sad not to hear more of your shenanigans.

We hope to do your drum kit proud.
  • @DeanDaughters Was considering using Patterning then realised I'd forgotten its cloud kits feature - your kits would work well there :)
  • @tk32 Thanks, man - Lately, I've been busy working up some magic (hopefully) on my first exclusive freebie for my Patreon supporters :)

@Nick That is very kind of you to say - and it is such a good idea in fact, that I've beaten you to it. ;) I have 2 totally free drum kits in Patterning's "Cloud Kits" :) :)

Electronisounds Future Step 01
    Electronisounds Future Step 02

• why does this feel like a commercial?

The self promoting of unoriginal sampling is not an attraction.

Sorry to be a downer, and you probably don’t want to hear this, but it is an honest opinion.

• @Trig said: > The self promoting of unoriginal sampling

Really? You jump into this thread with your self-promoted negativity when we are all having a nice, friendly time here?

Unoriginal sampling? ~ sigh -
    After all I have been trying to do for the BM3 community from a place of creativity, positivity and sharing I have to say that is pretty uncalled for and offensive.

I am a sound designer and make all my own sounds and samples.

Have you even seen my videos? You know, all the ones where I show people how to design sounds from scratch?

Unoriginal sampling? WTF?!?!

Nick asked about Patterning and I responded - simple as that.
    (My drumkits inside Patterning are also FREE and are made with my ORIGINAL SOUNDS)

You do not have to support me - but you should keep your negativity to yourself.
    (I am trying to ENCOURAGE PEOPLE around here) B)

All I have done is share a wealth of my time, knowledge and inspiration with the BM3 community, spread the BM3 love and now given away a free drumkit for BM3 in the hopes of gathering more interest in what were doing here.

You are out of line, Sir --

Please enjoy this photo which shows years worth of my 100% ORIGINAL sampling from the 1990's
    (and i'm still not asking you to buy anything)

• @Trig I must say I also think you've been unreasonable to Dean here.

I understand you are trying to keep anything overtly commercial from creeping into forum activity, but in fairness, we all know Dean is an established vlogger and sample pack maker, and if you look carefully back at his posts you'll see he only refers to these things when he is asked a question in that direction.

I've never seen him promote the sale of any of his products, and nearly everything he posts here is strictly about BM3 and the 'music'
  • @Trig ... knock it off. His kits were downloaded from Patterning Cloud over 360 times without any noise here. He's sharing his work. How awful!

@DeanDaughters Nice to see your work alive in the wild :)

• Take it to PM people, lets keep the thread about the Compo ;)

• Pinging the thread to see how everyone’s getting on? Still unsure if I will have the patience to produce for this round, but some of the sketches already put forward are bearing well as far as I’m concerned. How’s everyone else feeling?
  • Over a full week left - Come on guys - There is loads of time to knock something out - You can do it!

B) :) B) :) B) :) B) :) B) :) B) :) B) :) B) :) B) :) B) :) B) :) B) :) B) :)