Double Layer Keyboards for AU’s too.. - Also - mini-keyboard request.

edited November 2017 in Feature Requests

Hey Intua,

1. I would Love the double keyboard for when I'm using AU's, etc, too.

2. When I/we put the AU into full screen mode (by hiding the main keyboard 'using the arrow far right') can we have a mini keyboard [option/toggle].

Cheers,

King

Great 3.0.3 update :-)

Comments

• @mathieugarcia said:
    Noted!

Cheers!

King

• edited November 2017

Regarding mini-keyboard.

Maybe:

Press arrow once = full screen with mini-keyboard.
    Press arrow again = no mini-keyboard (same as what it does now).
    Press a third time = main keyboard returns.

King

• edited September 2017

Also, cheers for the return of the double keyboard.

Brilliant!

King

• Another vote for double keyboard on AUis. Any word on this?

• Mini keys are fine but wasn't the whole point of BM3 for the MPC 4*4 pads workflow? For a square sized touchscreen interface I don't understand why anyone would want a mini keyboard. Besides GarageBand is a free AU host that already has that.
  • @LucidMusicInc said:
    Mini keys are fine but wasn't the whole point of BM3 for the MPC 4*4 pads workflow?

+1
    that's exactly why i bought.

• edited November 2017

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Mini keys are fine but wasn't the whole point of BM3 for the MPC 4*4 pads workflow? For a square sized touchscreen interface I don't understand why anyone would want a mini keyboard. Besides GarageBand is a free AU host that already has that

Not sure 100% of your question, but..

When you put an AU, example ‘Mood’ (that doe not have it’s own keyboard) into full-screen mode, there is no way to play notes on screen while editing.

“Press arrow again = no mini-keyboard (same as what it does now). ”
    In my options number 2 ^ was without a mini keyboard, so..

You understand now?

King

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Mini keys are fine but wasn't the whole point of BM3 for the MPC 4*4 pads workflow? For a square sized touchscreen interface I don't understand why anyone would want a mini keyboard. Besides GarageBand is a free AU host that already has that.

When you put an AU, example ‘Mood’ (that doe not have it’s own keyboard) into full-screen mode, there is no way to play notes on screen while editing.

You understand now? :)

King

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Mini keys are fine but wasn't the whole point of BM3 for the MPC 4*4 pads workflow? For a square sized touchscreen interface I don't understand why anyone would want a mini keyboard. Besides GarageBand is a free AU host that already has that.

You understand now?

• We all use apps differently, what one person does or doesn’t do is not the same as others.

Believe it or not, some people may never even use the pads in BM3..

“We don’t know what’s in someone’s pockets, much less their mind”
    That’s one of my own quotes! :)

King

• Yeah, I believe the point of this request is to have on screen keys to play while adjusting AU controls on the screen at the same time. The pads don't help this, because the pads are nowhere while using an AU on the screen.

Having double layer keyboards while viewing the half screen AU UI would be nice, and having a mini keyboard while the AU is in full screen mode makes complete sense. The only way to get around the limitations currently is to either have a midi keyboard connected, which not all users have available at all times, or you'd have to preprogram a pattern and loop it while adjusting the AU controls, which isn't ideal for trying out different types of sounds.

• edited November 2017

When I'm at home, I have several different physical midi controllers (such as the Korg Nanokey Studio) - but when I'm on my travels I do all my music on the touchscreen.

Sometimes I play melodies on the pads; sometimes I play drums on the keyboard. I like to mix things up, and I like software that lets me choose

My dream would be a flexible 'performance' mode where I could build a custom full-screen setup like this:

or maybe have 2 x keyboards, or a full screen of macros

• @tk32 I believe you can do that with a companion app such as touch osc, yeah? That's a good idea. I bet we could create some custom layouts that work well with BM3!

• Nice idea @ronji

I didn't consider using TouchOSC with BM3... I always thought of it as a desktop DAW control surface.

Worth investigating, for sure!

• hmmm, now I'm even wondering if I could use TouchOSC on my android phone to provide an extra control surface for BM3 when composing on the go!

• Same with my iPhone 7+ as a companion controller, great idea!

• @d4d0ug Looks cool.

Care to share any screenshots of your BM3 layouts with it?

The big advantage of TouchOSC (and Lemur) would be if I could also a separate layout on my phone as an additional control surface.

• edited November 2017

• edited November 2017

• The double keyboard in BM2 was super easy. Tap settings to open edit mode, tap the return button to reopen the double keyboard. The same could be done for AUs.