Cant hear bass without headset

Ok so when I put my headset on I can hear the bass in my beat. But without I cant hear the bass at all. Is there a fix or some settings that I have to adjust. Stil learning. Thanks.

Comments

• @MisterSinan said:
    Ok so when I put my headset on I can hear the bass in my beat. But without I cant hear the bass at all. Is there a fix or some settings that I have to adjust. Stil learning. Thanks.

Yeah, I’m supprized you hear anything without them on! lol

King

• edited January 2018

How low frequency is the bass, iPad speakers are only tiny little things.

• LMAO, never thought it could be about the iPad speakers.

Making sense.

King

• edited January 2018

Tips and Fix!

Use headphones or monitors, for creating.

iPad speakers, if you want to hear the mix on different types of systems.

Or transpose the bass up an octave or use a different bass sound.

King

• I use iPad speakers all the time for creating, probably my main start point for anything nowadays, and all my sound banks for BM3 start out only listened to n iPad speakers.

• Yeah, can be good, but prolly not too great for bass.

King

• Then again, depends on the iPad too, I use a mini2 so...

Don’t know what the OP has..

King

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @MisterSinan also, considering you're new to this, to get an accurate representation of your music, you want speakers or headphones with a flat response, meaning they don't have built in boosting for bass and whatnot. this is why I bought the Audio‑Technica ATH‑M50x headphones, because they're well reviewed for having a relatively flat response with a great price. don't be surprised when you make a tune that sounds awesome in your headphones but sounds like absolute crap on a car stereo system or other speaker system.

• I find listening to a lot of music with your new headphones is pretty important too. Gotta learn what they sound like.

• @KING said:
    Then again, depends on the iPad too, I use a mini2 so...

King

I have a iPad 2017. Mine is not pro and its def not a mini. Guess its a standard iPad. It only stated 2017 when I bought it.

• edited January 2018

@MisterSinan said:

@KING said:
    Then again, depends on the iPad too, I use a mini2 so...

King

I have a iPad 2017. Mine is not pro and its def not a mini. Guess its a standard iPad. It only stated 2017 when I bought it.

Yeah, best to use something other than any iPad speakers, when it comes to bass (and kicks)

I never use iPad speakers, headphones always plugged in. (That’s just me)

King

*Never = 99% of my creating time. There is always a chance.. ;)

• @ronji said:
    @MisterSinan also, considering you're new to this, to get an accurate representation of your music, you want speakers or headphones with a flat response, meaning they don't have built in boosting for bass and whatnot. this is why I bought the Audio‑Technica ATH‑M50x headphones, because they're well reviewed for having a relatively flat response with a great price. don't be surprised when you make a tune that sounds awesome in your headphones but sounds like absolute crap on a car stereo system or other speaker system.

Thanks for the info! And yeah im kinda new. I have a bose headset myself. It has a pretty neutral sound if I may say.

• There are two sides to this argument, you can jump on either side, but both are equally as important as each other.

1 As @ronji suggests : Flat response speakers/headphones can help you get a real well balanced mix.
    2 As @Audiogus suggests : Learn your listening environment inside out.

I personally would also add to number 2 above that you should have a hyped sounding set up (a HiFi or whatever passes as a HiFi nowadays) and listen to all your favourite music on that, and make your mixes sound like your favourite music.
    Having a flat response set up will help you find dodgy frequencies popping out or going missing, but, and this a very big but, only if your room is treated fairly well, if it isn’t then keep em low and keep em close, ie turn the volume right down and get closer to the flat monitors.
    Also keep in mind that flat response monitors don’t sound very nice, they will fatigue your ears, take breaks and even use the room as a buffer, go and listen outside the door, trust me, stuff will jump out as wrong.

Now, having said all that, most of it is utter over the top “I am engineer, I Iz da magic” BS, a good mix can’t make a bad song good, a bad mix can’t make a good song bad.

Go enjoy making tunes, if you think the iPad speakers should sound better, go to the Apple store and make them compare them to others of the same model, you may have a fault.

• edited January 2018

Therre is a great mega thread growing over the years by someone named Yep on the Reaper forum who drops some sweet knowledge...

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283

• It is still a mystery for me tho why for example cypress hill songs like "Spark another owl" the bass is hearable through my laptop speakers AND headphones. And my beats played on the laptop the bass is not hearable. Not that I am comparing myself to cypress hill lol.

• Add some mid to your bass, most modern dance tunes have midbass now instead of bass, look at brostep, everybody thinks it is heavy bass music, its actually gnarly mid tones.

• edited January 2018

Surgical M/S even basic EQ of your mix and proper bass compression will begin to help supporting cheaper (falsely advertised) speakers but unfortunately some speakers/buds are going to have no feel below 70hz. And @5pinlink is right. A lot of bass is mid-heavy in many current genres. Bass is often created as two separate tracks. Your low end in mono < 130hz (subs) with bite in the 160-250hz area like a guitar for a second track. But there are no rules. Just make music and tinker a lot. It’s fun. Even if you don’t hear your bass, it’s there. You just have to find the happy spot.

• @ronji YMMV, but I personally find the ATH-M50X too bass-enhanced (despite what many reviews say about them being quite flat). When I used to use them for mixing/mastering I would end up with weak bass in the final mix, since I would constantly be EQ'ing the low frequencies down to compensate for the bass boost in the headphones.

I tend to prefer the Brainwavz HM5 and Beyerdynamic DT250 for mixing - they really don't boost the bass at all!

• Superlux super cheapos here for headphones, best response you can get in my price bracket.

• @tk32 I've heard that too, and I have experienced the same. honestly before buying I think I looked up some kind of graphical representation of the response that did indicate a slight boost in bass. if I'm in the market for some replacements, I'll check out the ones you mentioned =)

• edited January 2018

@MisterSinan For those that like to test this kinda stuff like bass response, etc but don’t know how to create a freq sweep (I should do a video) try this guy’s files.
    http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

That way if your in a store testing speakers or headphones you can get a good idea of their limitations in low end.

• edited January 2018

The Superlux range @5pinlink mentions are pretty amazing too (especially in price-to-performance ratio), but mine (668b model) are both massive and semi-open so not suitable for portable music making.

They do have a closed set (661) worth checking for about $50

If you're on a budget Monoprice are also worth checking

• edited January 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Add some mid to your bass, most modern dance tunes have midbass now instead of bass, look at brostep, everybody thinks it is heavy bass music, its actually gnarly mid tones.

Can you refer me to some website who can explain what mid low etc is and how to adjust it. Still trying to learn and id like to get some knowledge on the subject. Im still a beginner and i dont know how to add some mid to my bass in beatmaker3.

• edited January 2018

Use a sound that has some mid range frequencies, sorry i cant refer you to a site, i dont know any.

• @MisterSinan said:

@5pinlink said:
    Add some mid to your bass, most modern dance tunes have midbass now instead of bass, look at brostep, everybody thinks it is heavy bass music, its actually gnarly mid tones.

Can you refer me to some website who can explain what mid low etc is and how to adjust it. Still trying to learn and id like to get some knowledge on the subject. Im still a beginner and i dont know how to add some mid to my bass in beatmaker3.

Send your bass sound to a send a put distortions, eq’s, choruses, frequency shifters, rinse & repeat, adjust to taste

• @MisterSinan here is an EQ chart from the web:
    http://www.offbeat.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/eq-chart.pdf
    Low mid and high are frequency ranges. You use an EQ to boost the mids. Bm3 has plenty of EQ options. You can do an internet search for all this stuff. Internet search is common place. Use it.