Update 3.0.9 not opening / 7 hour boot time before cancelling

edited January 2018 in General

Stays on splash screen without opening
Latest iOS, Air2

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @triton100 said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    Stays on splash screen without opening
    Latest iOS, Air2

Apparently you have to leave it a while till the database updates. Could take a while depending on size

Ok thanks!

• 2.5 hours so far...

• @Audiogus said:
    2.5 hours so far...

Hmm...

King

• @Audiogus are you seeing the spinning circle? leaving your ipad on, plugged in, no sleep? mine didn't take that long, but I've got a 2015 pro and not that many samples and tings yet

• there are great warnings and progress indicators when you go to the store and do the restore purchases thing to get everything shown as purchased and downloaded, and even when doing a database rescan. seems it would have been a good idea to display some similar warnings and progress indicator on the initial startup after updating to 3.0.9 =/

• @ronji said:
    there are great warnings and progress indicators when you go to the store and do the restore purchases thing to get everything shown as purchased and downloaded, and even when doing a database rescan. seems it would have been a good idea to display some similar warnings and progress indicator on the initial startup after updating to 3.0.9 =/

This +1

Prob would of been a great idea to put it into the update that database will be rescanned for hours

• To be honest it seems it is a bit of a mess, 2.5 hours is not really on is it
    “Beatmaker will open, but performance will be radically reduced until all samples have been scanned, estimated time xxx”
    But even then, this can’t happen at every update, that is just not acceptable, hopefully @mathieugarcia can give some insight in to a new database engine or something for this release causing the issue ?

• Whoot! Done in about three hours. I have a whole new perspective on life now!

• LMAO

King

• I don’t know why I’m laughing, it’s not funny..

3 hours.....................

King

• It’s just wrong, I’m hoping it is a new database engine or something and will only happen on this install.

• Something is wrong If you are waiting 3 hours. This is too long. Are any of you by chance running anything else in background or on battery? Are you updating while BM3 was open in background?

• @ronji said:
    there are great warnings and progress indicators when you go to the store and do the restore purchases thing to get everything shown as purchased and downloaded, and even when doing a database rescan. seems it would have been a good idea to display some similar warnings and progress indicator on the initial startup after updating to 3.0.9 =/

A small textual status area somewhere on screen so if it is locked up, at least you know you could force close and try reopen again. 3 hours though, seriously?

• Only app open and it’s taking forever. I just loaded for me started 3 hours ago and the sound store is also taking for ever. Has to be something under the engine that was changed.

• It might be quicker for users that have a lot of files... an option to backup their entire BM3 directory to a zip file or something and perform a hard database reset before the update. I’m not sure if this is an ideal option or not. I do it manually sometimes....but most aren’t going to know or want to do this. I have a lot of files; however, they are not sound pack related. I’d be curious as to whats causing the slowdown. Mine installed in 1-3 minutes.

• edited January 2018

After waiting an hour or so, without completion, for indexing to play out (15gb of my files in there) I off loaded purchases, user banks, and choice sample sets, deleted app, then installed updated version and reloaded my goodies.

Indexing the database was something I had avoided to this point, (it’s always been a user option I think) as I don’t need the app to sort purchased or user banks into categories... but maybe sorted banks or metadata is useful for some users

• edited January 2018

There is somebody on the AB forum on 6 hours currently, this is unacceptable :( has to be a bug surely ?

• @5pinlink said:
    There is somebody on the AB forum on 6 hours currently, this is unacceptable :( has to be a bug surely ?

Somebody needs to send me 15gb of files. I'll test it to death.

• @mefisme if you really wanna test, just duplicate your samples until you've reached that point.

• @ronji said:
    @mefisme if you really wanna test, just duplicate your samples until you've reached that point.

I don’t want to test it at all really, but I would for the users if there was a workaround.

• Come to think....I haven’t updated to iOS 11.2.2. Every time Apple releases they do something with the Files management it seems. Wonder if that has something to do with it.

• I was on 11.2.2 and it didn't take me much time at all, but also I don't have a lot of samples. When I do a database rescan it says "adding 6500 samples" for reference. If there's a place to find the total sample size in the app, I'd be happy to share that info as well if it helps. Also, iPad Pro 2015. I don't know if I have the time to test this.

• Mine took about 1 minute, only files i have are the ones i have posted in resources or will be posting at some point.
    So no where near 1000 samples.

• That was me over on the AB forum. Gave up on the indexing; I was afraid my iPad was going to melt it was so hot! I'm going to move my samples out of the BM3 file structure and then reinstall. For the record, my samples folder was 65gb in size, containing 104k samples, which is a lot, I suppose. Still, at over seven hours when I quit, it still seems excessive for indexing and storing in a SQLite database.

• @excesseye is the only advantage to the indexing for BM3 tagging system? Does anyone know if the indexing affects performance?

• @mefisme said:
    @excesseye is the only advantage to the indexing for BM3 tagging system? Does anyone know if the indexing affects performance?

Yes, as far as I know, that's the only advantage. I wanted to have nicely tagged samples within BM3, but it's just not worth it if you have a large sample library and need to re-index for any reason (DB corruption, for example); it just takes far too long. Once indexed, I don't see how it could affect performance though.

• Ugggggg. Come on. @mathieugarcia are you aware of this? Major release on a weekend? Has anyone from Intua commented on this. This is nuts.

• @excesseye I do know if you tag and make regular zips the tagging/categories still works but it’s very strange. Some samples lose their tags after an import. Not sure if a database scan takes as long after install. So if we do continue to have this problem, might be good idea to try this for users having problems.

• Mine was not too bad timewise approx 15min - with approx 20gb of samples on my ipad air2/ ios 11.2.1 will try my ipad pro now.