Plugins, do i need them ?

This discussion was created from comments split from: iOS AU Audio Unit Extension (AUv3) Full List.

Comments

• Where do I get plug ins and do I need them? New at this

• If you arent missing them, you dont need them

• But if you want them, you get them from the iOS App Store. You can search for them by name there, or you can also search for "auv3" to find stuff, and you can also browse the multitude of threads created here in the compatibility forum. You don't need any of them though =)

• There is two sticky threads in compatibility, one for AUi (Instruments such as synths and drums etc) and one for AUfx (Effect such as reverb compressors etc) go to those.

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/5221/ios-aui-list-06-02-18-uk-or-02-06-18-us#latest

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/6055/ios-aufx-list-04-02-18-uk-or-02-04-18-us#latest

They have links to each plugins thread, in turn each thread has a picture a description and links to the developer webpage and app store.

Now back to my original point, if you are asking "Do i need them" you obviously dont right now, so avoid them until you find that you are missing something, it is a huge rabbit hole that gets bigger and deeper faster than you can fall in to it.
    Especially on IOS where plugins are so cheap, it is very easy to become a collector of apps rather than a musician.

• edited February 2018

@5pinlink is absolutely right.

Just like all hobbies, when you need shiny new more expensive kit.. you'll probably know

.. having said this, I don't regret a single AUv3 plugin I've ever bought - and it's probably essential to have at least one decent synth plugin (Poison 202/iSEM/Zeeon/etc)

• edited February 2018

May I add search string “audio unit” in iOS store may return new results now or in future but app description may be otherwise.

• edited February 2018

I would stick to the consolidated threads here on the forum, they are all listed, i defy anybody to give me a search term that finds even 50% of AU in the app store.

• @5pinlink said:
    I would stick to the consolidated threads here on the forum, they are all listed, i defy anybody to give me a search term that finds even 50% of AU in the app store.

Oh definitely agree. The lists here are way better. I meant for the people building the actual lists. You and @philowerx It may return newbies or missed ones.