Can't load Gadget (IAA).

BM3 either crashes or I'll hit a bug (audio not recording, timeline patterns can't be moved or edited, etc) and kill the app.

When I re-start the app, I ALWAYS get "Can't load Gadget (IAA)"

Is this a known bug? Is there a work around? I came here for help because after that, I can't figure out how to get Gadget IAA back. Tried restarting app again, tried killing Gadget after closing the app and starting them both up, tried deleting the bank and bringing it back ( I have a bank saved with Gadget 1-16 midi channels set up). Nothing works

Maybe there's a magic sequence to killing and starting the apps or removing and remaking the track/bank?

I don't have any auv3 because I've been in the gadget ecosystem for years... So I'd really like to figure this out and use all the synths I know and love!

Thank you :)

Comments

• I did just get it working again! I don't know what order of killing and reviving things worked, but one additional step I tried was going into the Gadget app and hitting some notes myself. Maybe that woke it up?

This was right after deleting the BM3 track dedicated to Gadget, creating a new one, and loading my new saved Gadget MIDI bank.

Before this, I had tried going into Gadget and hitting keys, but the sound came out warbled like it's buffer was initialized incorrectly. So I don't think hitting keys in Gadget alone was what fixed the inter app communication. I did restart Gadget after the buffer crunch warbles.

This is all on an iPad Air 2.

• edited February 2018

There are weird IAA ghosts sometimes that stay in memory that require you to reboot the ipad or do a memory purge...

To do it without rebooting, and I quote... “hold power button until you get the ‘Swipe-to-turn-off’ slide, then, don't do that to restart, but press the Home button and hold it down until you go back to the home screen.”

All your running apps will refresh, so make sure you save your work.

Anyway / PS: i know you love your Gadget, but consider Zeeon which is an amazing AU synth. This way you can record knob twiddle automation on a synth right in BM3. Very Gadget like. It just sounds super nice and full too.

• Does anyone know if this happens in other iOS Daws?

• edited February 2018

Ooo, those are two good tips, thank you =]

I researched Zeeon a bit, will pick it up, but wonder if there's a synth you recommend with a Formant filter or for making abstract vocal sounds? Been using Vancouver a bunch.

• Found this, guess I could run it through tc helion to get female vocals http://ipadloops.com/jussi-vocal-synthesizer-for-ios-by-klevgrand/

• @mefisme said:
    Does anyone know if this happens in other iOS Daws?

Gadget is much more stable, maybe because it doesn't have to deal with unknown code running as plugins. Bm3 is the first auv3 app I've dug into

• I’m just trying to document which plugins are BM3 buggy specific, or buggy across all DAWs that support AB/IAA/AU.

• @mefisme said:
    I’m just trying to document which plugins are BM3 buggy specific, or buggy across all DAWs that support AB/IAA/AU.

Makes total sense!

Maybe I should ask the question over on audiobus forum since there's more people of all different daws over there?

• @starpause said:
    Ooo, those are two good tips, thank you =]

I researched Zeeon a bit, will pick it up, but wonder if there's a synth you recommend with a Formant filter or for making abstract vocal sounds? Been using Vancouver a bunch.

I really have been hoping for a Formant fiter AU. I am looking to get PPG Infinite today but they also make PPG Phonem which seems very much a vocal synth. Something tells me it is likely capable of a lot more than the preset demo videos show but I just cant bring myself to get it as it. I bet in capable hands with creative fx it could wonderful things but I cant see going deep with it.

• @Audiogus PPG synths are a treat. WaveMapper is actually my most used just because it is so easy to come up with quality sounds but I can’t wait to dive deeper into Phonem and Infinite. Class.

• @WillieNegus said:
    The BM3 sampler is world class. Why not just sample the sounds you like from Gadget and save it as an instrument so you can use in any future sessions. The sounds auto pitch to key where you can than use scales, chord, etc on pad 16/64, Keys or your ext midi plus add tons of AU effect instances.

I’m starting to do this with iSymphonic because it takes forever to load.

• @WillieNegus said:
    The BM3 sampler is world class. Why not just sample the sounds you like from Gadget and save it as an instrument so you can use in any future sessions. The sounds auto pitch to key where you can than use scales, chord, etc on pad 16/64, Keys or your ext midi plus add tons of AU effect instances.

Sampling is good for some things, but if I can have access to all of the parameters of a synthesizer that's way better for shaping sounds to sit well together in a track. You can certainly cover a lot of ground with audio effects but I'd rather go to the source and tweak there rather than more layers. Synths also sound better over larger octive ranges unless you're getting into multi sampling of the synths.

But with how buggy gadget and bm3 are together, I'm doing something like what you suggest, recording audio loops/tracks of gadget into the session since there's no other way to garuntee i'll be able to hear the same thing again any other way ha

@GusGranite said:
    @Audiogus PPG synths are a treat. WaveMapper is actually my most used just because it is so easy to come up with quality sounds but I can’t wait to dive deeper into Phonem and Infinite. Class.

Looking at Phonem demos it looks more versatile than Vancouver, nice http://wolfgangpalm.com/iphonem_demos.html

AND INFINITE sounds like it murders Milpitas (iWAVESTATION) and covers a lot of the same ground as Lisbon / Helsinki / Keiv... feeling some vaporwave comming on

wallet will also be getting murdered... have to pick and choose as i'm weakly beatings what will be "necessary" :wink: i suppose minimapper will get me wavetable presets for super cheap so i can snag the phonem for vocal werbles which seems unique (but still happy if someone points me at other vocal-y synth formant sounding things)