BM3 + GR16 sittin in a tree...

Just checked out the new GR16 update. Nice additons and tweaks.

Tried the new midi out of a GR16 IAA in to zeeon on a separate BM3 bank but couldn't get it working. Probably user error. Worked fine standalone minus BM3 though. Clunky workflow as ever when switching apps though. Maybe better in AUM?

BM3 and GR16 are super frustrating... Each app nails what the other misses -

GR16 -
Probability (akin to elektron conditional trigs).
Per step automation (akin to elektron parameter locks).
Master performace fx.
Automatable sample start point.
Fast step sequencer workflow.
Arpeggiator.

BM3 -
AUv3 hosting and almost EVERYTHING else....

IAA or au between these two will never really = a solid workflow solution combining features. One app or the other needs to build the other app's USP features in to itself..

Seems a way off but if that ever happens then I'm selling half my studio and the dev is gonna sell a TON of apps...

Comments

• Mmmm. Per step automation would be suhweet... ...

• Yup, hopefully someone nails a kind of bm3/GR16 combo app at some point or BM3 evolves more in that direction itself.

• For fluid per step automation in BM3 it would need to embrace the cubasis style windows ui. So you could hold a step in piano roll while also tweaking an AUv3 param.. Or have some kind of 'show steps' button in the AUv3 keyboard view.

• Probability could be implemented pretty smoothly in current UI just by holding a note/s in piano roll and hitting a new 'prob' button along bottom of screen which popped up a probability options window.

• Both of these would be better than the GR16 implementation with its tiny edit screen...

• Some good ideas for step editing in here... Hope Mathieu and company read at some point.

• This past update really set GR16 over the top me...it worked well in AUM for me controlling several different apps. I have had difficulty getting MIDI in to BM3 when attempting to control a full bank. I've gotten midi to individual pads working fine, but can't seem to figure out banks. If anyone has a solution, help!

I agree, if BM3 adopted some of the GR16/groovebox workflow, it would be a huge development. Already love it, but sometimes it isn't quite as fluid as I'd like for performance.

• @bcrichards said:
    This past update really set GR16 over the top me...it worked well in AUM for me controlling several different apps. I have had difficulty getting MIDI in to BM3 when attempting to control a full bank. I've gotten midi to individual pads working fine, but can't seem to figure out banks. If anyone has a solution, help!

I agree, if BM3 adopted some of the GR16/groovebox workflow, it would be a huge development. Already love it, but sometimes it isn't quite as fluid as I'd like for performance.

Yeah GR16 is coming together pretty nicely now. It's fundamentally crippled in a bottleneck kind of way tho by not hosting au for 3rd party instruments and fx. It could have been great for parameter locking 3rd party apps (I'm not a fan of the sound of GR16 onboard synth/fx/sample tools) but even via CC midi output that would be super tedious/fiddly without AU hosting inside the same UI, and kind of defeat the whole attraction of parameter locking as being a really fast route to precise automation......Soooooo my hopes for this getting done 'right' on ios are still with future BM3... Ever the optimist ;)

• @bcrichards said:
    This past update really set GR16 over the top me...it worked well in AUM for me controlling several different apps. I have had difficulty getting MIDI in to BM3 when attempting to control a full bank. I've gotten midi to individual pads working fine, but can't seem to figure out banks. If anyone has a solution, help!

Have you managed to get GR16 triggering AU synths in BM3 without using AUM? I can't get anything happening at all while trying it with GR16 as an IAA on a BM3 bank pad connecting to an AU synth on another BM3 pad :/ I don't have AUM.. I tried all in one bank and also using separate banks.. Nothing... Is there some kind of midi routing limitation in this setup that I'm ignorant to?
    Thanks

• edited March 2018

After reading this thread I decided to update GR-16 to try out the new midi feature. As there is no new manual for GR16 I tried to get midi working to BeatMaker but I can’t get it to work on more than 1 track (1 pad with a synth).

It assume every part in GrooveRider sends midi on it’s corresponding midi channel. So part 1 sends midi on channel 1, part 2 send midi on channel 2. (there is no setting to set the midi channel per part).

But no matter what part I choose, the midi is always send to the active pad in BeatMaker. I can’t seem to route each of the 16 parts in GrooveRider to 16 seperate synths in BeatMaker....

Does it work this way, does GrooveRider part send midi on a different channel?? It seems logical that it should, every sequencer works this way...

• Turn omni off and make sure the bank is set to multi channel mode in beatmaker, so each pad is a different MIDI channel ;)

• edited March 2018

No I can’t get it to work... it seems like every GrooveRider part sends midi on the same channel.. BeatMaker just routes midi from GrooveRider to the active pad.....

• edited March 2018

So omni is off in Beatmaker ?
    Bank MIDI is set to Multi Channel in Beatmaker ?
    I suspect it is Grooverider unable to do it then.

• When I set omni to off I cant get midi from Grooverider at all....

Same goes when I send midi to Poison 202 standalone.... only works when omni is on....

This is driving me crazy.. I’m goin to bed.. I’ll try to post a video tomorrow...

• I cant actually make you a video of how to do it, i dont own it, but i can show you how to do it with poison 202 (although it makes no sense, poison 202 is an AU)

• edited March 2018

There ya go, i dont have Grooverider so i used two MIDI channels from Cubasis, exactly the same set up though ;)
    The first sixteen pads in a bank you set up like this will be MIDI channels 1-16

• edited March 2018

Thank you so much for the video, it’s working now..

The problem was that in GrooveRider part 1 (of the 16 parts) sends midi on channel 9. And part 9 (the top row in GR16) send midi on channel 1. This is really confusing..

• Thanks @5pinlink I had same kind of problems. Will check this out later :)

• @SlowwFloww said:
    Thank you so much for the video, it’s working now..

The problem was that in GrooveRider part 1 (of the 16 parts) sends midi on channel 9. And part 9 (the top row in GR16) send midi on channel 1. This is really confusing..

Dang. I think this might have been what I was doing too! Haha

• Groovearider part 1 sends on 1, 2 on 2 etc. You are looking at mixer channels which have drum parts on left and synth parts on right. It works fine for me. Follow @5pinlink suggestions.

• edited March 2018

Press pad nr 1. Check the mixer. Tr 9 lights up.. midi ch is ch 9.

So, pad 1 - midi ch is 9
    Pad 9 - midi ch is 1

Solution: switch top and bottom pads..
    So pad 1 = tr 1 = midi ch 1

• edited March 2018

Pad 1 audio goes to mixer channel 9. But it outputs MIDI channel 1. Pad 2 MIDI channel 2. Etc. MIDI and audio are two completely different signals. Th dev put the drum voices on mixer 1-8 and synths on mixer 9-16. Granted, it might be confusing but close the mixer and look at the pads. Pad 1-16 output MIDI channel 1-16. Makes perfect sense. Maybe he should match pads to mixer channels but the MIDI is correct.

• It's sad that this thing will bever be an AU :(

• It’s a brilliant update (again!). GR-16 is a masterful app.

• Wait, i thought the synth was based on Poison, so is Poison getting the wavetable import, that would be big news ?

• gamechanger

• @5pinlink said:
    Wait, i thought the synth was based on Poison, so is Poison getting the wavetable import, that would be big news ?

Woah... um yes please.