Switch pads in pattern editor

I really like the fact you can use multiple sounds across pads within a bank and have a sub-pattern for each pad within a pattern.

However, I find it a little clunky to have to come out of the pattern editor into the sampler to switch to the pad you want to create a pattern for. Particularly as the numbers for each pad are there within the pattern editor, I thought I would be able to use these to switch between pads.

Requesting the ability to switch between the pads in the main pattern editor window - would improve workflow when editing patterns imo.

Hopefully this isn't a duplicate post, I did try searching.

Comments

• edited March 2018

I'm slightly confused. What is a sub-pattern?

As far as I know, a pattern is a pattern, and pretty sure (from memory) that you can already switch active pad/lane when in the pattern editor.

Maybe I misunderstood, but now I'm wondering, have I been missing a killer feature these last 6 months?!

• @tk32 said:
    I'm slightly confused. What is a sub-pattern?

As far as I know, a pattern is a pattern, and pretty sure (from memory) that you can already switch active pad/lane when in the pattern editor.

Maybe I misunderstood, but now I'm wondering, have I been missing a killer feature these last 6 months?!

Equally confused...

• @tk32 you arent misding a feature, there are no 'Sub patterns' in the normal sense.

@danlethal
    I am a little lost, you can change pads in the psttern editor, you just click on the lane ?

• I’m guessing @danlethal is referring to keys patterns. Here’s a vid. I got into the keys pattern before starting. You can tell I’m lookin at the midi for pad 2, and in this view you can see the pad list on the left, but tapping on a pad number doesn’t do anything. I agree +1 that you should be able to tap a pad to get to the midi for that pad. And yes, you can switch the pad by going over to the sampler page and selecting another pad. I’m fairly sure going to the performance page (pads view) would also work the same way. But for anyone who didn’t know about this, @danlethal probably included, you can tap the keys icon at the top right of the pattern view to collapse the keys midi for a pad, then tap another pad lane and tap the keys icon to get into the keys midi for the other pads. =)

• edited March 2018

Thanks @ronji for clarifying (p.s. nice to hear you're still having fun with my challenge bank ;))

I refer to the two kinds of pattern view as rhythmic and melodic (chromatic) view.

You can see all the notes in rhythmic view, but it all gets squished to a single lane. when in melodic view, you can only see the notes for the current pad

Perhaps the OP (@danlethal) was referring to switching between pads when in melodic view? - in which case the quickest way is to flip from melodic to rhythmic (using the toggle key in the top-right corner), selecting another pad/lane, and then switching back to melodic view

• @ronji you must be right 😁 great spotting!

• @tk32 yeah, I am fairly sure that must be it. I just call it keys view, because it correlates to the keys buttons around the interface, but melodic vs rhythmic is a good way to refer to them as well =)

+1 for the ability to switch pads in keys/melodic pattern view by just tapping the pad numbers at left!

• edited March 2018

Aah my mistake, pattern editor for me is the pattern editor, keys view is the piano roll, same as the software BM is pretty much modelled after (Maschine) my mistake ;)

But as it stands, coming out of the piano roll to change lanes makes perfect sense to me (I am used to Maschine) but i have never switched to sampler or pads to do it, just out of the piano roll in to the pattern editor.

PS anybody remember the thread i started about standardising names for stuff, that nobody could be bothered with at the time, now you can see why lol.

• edited March 2018

Just to clarify what i personally use as naming convention.
    Pattern editor = First view you see when you edit a pattern.
    Piano roll = the view you see when you click the piano icon for a lane in the pattern editor.
    Keys mode = pad view when the keys button is pressed for chromatic playing.

This would be the naming convention i used if i write a BM bible type book.

IMHO the piano roll isnt that well thought out, the lane switcher from the pattern editor coukd easily be kept, and preview keys being on the small things at the right vs the big keys on the left (you know, the ones that are actually big enough to be triggered vs fumbled) little UX thought went in to that design.

• +1 for a common BM3 vocab/lexicon

There are all sorts of really essential buttons and features that are hard to discuss in these forums because of the lack of a common vocabulary. It's the main reason 5pin and @ronji have to keep making so many little videos (which we're all v. grateful for, btw)

...for example, how many newbies would know where the Pattern Helper is?

Fancy starting a Visual Lexicon thread

• I started one a long time ago, nobody was very interested at the time.

• What can I say...

We catch up with your sage wisdom. Eventually.

• Haha, I thought OP was referring to switching pad in piano roll view. Via the vertical numbers already there to left of the piano roll. Solid FR imho :)

• Yeah like i said above, definitely needs to be done, the space is there for it, it actually feels like it is a bug that it doesnt do it to be honest.

• Yeah historically would've said piano roll too, been using DAWs for years but a n00b when it comes to BM3.

Just to confirm I am suggesting switching the pad when in the piano roll via the numbers on the left. @ronji vid was spot on.

I think that would be really helpful. Or alternatively being able to view the pads when in the piano roll.
    Totally agree the UX could be improved in this view overall, definitely find it odd you cant use the big piano keys :smile:

sub-pattern seemed the most logical term when writing, as you have the main pattern with the individual patterns within. +1 for a lexicon!