Confirmed: LayR synth update adds AUv3 support

edited April 2018 in General

Just heard a rumour that multi-timbral megasynth LayR is about to update and add AUv3 support.

Shame it's priced so highly right now (£19.99/$19.99)

You heard it here first!

Comments

• Or on the AB forum a few weeks ago... possibly from the dev... ;)

• edited April 2018

AB wasn't my source (I don't hang out there), but I guess it turns out this rumour was not as exclusive as I originally thought

I think the update might be about to drop - hopefully to coincide with a price drop promotion? :)

• edited April 2018

Looks like it is out and pumping on full price point. I sure hope it gets a sale. Grooverider just got me monies.

Fruitbat1919 organised a couple free for all AB forum user patch fests for Model D and Zeeon. Some good stuff resulted. Given the update details regarding patch bank sharing etc then i wager Layr is a good candidate for a future one.

• Great update! I think the dev said he would never put it on sale. Gotta respect that.

• (This is a real question, not snark) what does this have that makes it so special (this is snark) other than the developers inability to spell again.

• edited April 2018

To be clear...

I'm not trying to endorse this product — not even sure I want/need it in my collection(!) — my main reason for posting was simply to highlight another synth making the transition to AUv3 post-launch.

Good times.

• @5pinlink said:
    (This is a real question, not snark) what does this have that makes it so special (this is snark) other than the developers inability to spell again.

Shiny new! Heard some nice patches once. My objectivity is limited.

• @5pinlink said:
    (This is a real question, not snark) what does this have that makes it so special (this is snark) other than the developers inability to spell again.

The most interesting thing to me is how you can have multiple patches applied to different sections of the keyboard and blend them together in varying amounts— have a wobble in the low end and a shimmer in the high octaves. No one layer is terribly interesting to listen to, but when you start blending them all together, it gets very rich.

• Aaaah right, the sort of stuff we are already doing with B3s sampler, I think i will give it a miss.

• How's the Arpeggiator/sequencer? Does it work in AU? And send MIDI out in AU?

Syntronik is pretty good for this kind of thing that Layr seems to be focused on from quick look at vids. Syntronik = 4 layers + Sequencer/Arpeggiator per layer. Decent FX... Even the free version has a ton of depth..

But guessing that Layr is deeper for modulation and so on? And possibly a better overall layering workflow? Will check some more videos... Liked a few of the sounds I heard so far.

Anyone use both apps and can scribble out the main USP's for Layr over Syntronik?
    Cheers

• @5pinlink said:
    Aaaah right, the sort of stuff we are already doing with B3s sampler, I think i will give it a miss.

Thank you. May I have another?

But how would you do this, then? I know how to compose sample layers' range and velocity in BM3's mapping editor, but not how to get them to smoothly ramp in volume across a range of keys, separately and without regard to velocity? Seriously. I'd love to know.

• Unfortunately key tracking is still a feature request as a modulation option at the moment, i suspect it will happen at some point though.

Obviously B3 cant match every synthesizer like for like, that is being a bit literal lol.

• I imagine another benefit to LayR is that it seems well designed for ease of use for all of its features as a synthesizer. BM3 can do a lot that (dare I say) most people don't know about or just find too difficult at present. I know I'm inspired by the synth banks/patches @5pinlink Has put together with the BM3 sampler so far, things that I doubt I would have created on my own without much more familiarity of synth engineering and capabilities of BM3. I'm sure the creators of LayR could make some awesome synth banks for BM3 if they tried =)

• I doubt they would even want to, most synth heads frown upon samplers as a toy, I have been putting up with that crap for 30 years lol.

But i wasn't comparing this or any synth at all to B3, it just doesnt have enough to interest me (I have a lot of synths already)

But i will put a couple of thoughts out as it where....
    At some point key tracking will happen in B3.
    At some point somebody will release an AU MIDI that does splitting etc, then you could layer multiples of any synth etc.

Synth layers mapped across keyranges with crossfades just doesnt hold any fascination for me, but at the same time im not a very talented musician, I make banging sounds and put drums over them lol.
    I'm sure if you play keyboards more than my piss poor efforts, this thing is amazing.

• @5pinlink said:
    Unfortunately key tracking is still a feature request as a modulation option at the moment, i suspect it will happen at some point though.

Obviously B3 cant match every synthesizer like for like, that is being a bit literal lol.

I just covet this one feature. Not enough for me to purchase it, either. Will wait, so that I can leverage samples into the mix in BM3, as I prefer options to ease of use.

• So yeah, it can be done, but it is a terrible waste of resource and time too, a terrible terrible waste of time, it involves mapping every single key per layer.

So say its a single cycle, you load the cycle on to every single key, then use you velocity ranges to do the crossfades between the layers, like i say, not exactly usable, but yeah it can be done.

• Although........
    If you did use that technique, you could use a cycle generator to generate the cycles you were going to map as individual cycles at each frequency, that would remove any aliasing too, so in theory you could generate an oscilator that was better than anything available in any realtime synth, but then you would still be stuck with B3s currently pretty basic filters lol.

But yeah it can be done in some crappy semblence.

• Hmmmm, so you could do the instruments in an orchestra on their registers, and crossfade between the registers.
    So a violin turns in to a cello the lower down the register you play, thats a damn cool idea !!!!!

This is all a bit Yamaha VL :)

• edited April 2018

Or I could just buy Layr today and have everything it can do that BM3 can’t and be done with it ¯_(ツ)_/¯

And then I can continually get updates to it so it continues to probably do things that BM3 won’t be able to do in the future ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Or you don’t buy it and never know the difference ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• Yeah, everything i just suggested can't be done by Layr, it can only be done in a sampler, but if you do buy Layr, can you do us a screengrab and install size so i can do a compatibility thread ;)

• Yeah none of the stuff you suggested I would ever consider doing In real life. I already own Layr and would much rather use it for what it’s good for...Layering synths. It’s entire composition is around it. The UI is built around it. It’s a specialized “synthesizer” with “oscilators”, it’s not a “sampler”. You could do things “like it” and in “other ways” in BM3 and probably waste more of your valuable time than just throwing down 20 dollars and using it if it’s something that you would consider valuable. It would cost me way more than 20 dollars to build some Rube Goldberg machine in BM3 that came close to what it can offer.

Slapping it around because you can come up with use cases that don’t apply to it or that you don’t know about because you haven’t used it seem like uneducated bashing of a great “synth”...not a sampler.

It’s 47.2MB

• As well as the ease of layering synths, the arp is pretty interesting. The new mod matrix looks powerful as well. The Fold FX is good, although they released a more fully featured version as standalone. And now it’s AU. All round win in my book. :smile:

• @drez said:
    Yeah none of the stuff you suggested I would ever consider doing In real life. I already own Layr and would much rather use it for what it’s good for...Layering synths. It’s entire composition is around it. The UI is built around it. It’s a specialized “synthesizer” with “oscilators”, it’s not a “sampler”. You could do things “like it” and in “other ways” in BM3 and probably waste more of your valuable time than just throwing down 20 dollars and using it if it’s something that you would consider valuable. It would cost me way more than 20 dollars to build some Rube Goldberg machine in BM3 that came close to what it can offer.

Slapping it around because you can come up with use cases that don’t apply to it or that you don’t know about because you haven’t used it seem like uneducated bashing of a great “synth”...not a sampler.

It’s 47.2MB

Wow, slapping it around, all i said was it wasn't for me WTF ?
    I even added that that is probably the case because i am a crap musician.
    Im done with posting here for a while.

• @5pinlink Don't let the synth people get to you. They're just like that sometimes.

• My favorite thing about Layr is the UI design, so clean and nice colors. Oh, and ridiculously long envelopes / lfos for reeeeeeealllly long mods. I want to say 4 minutes or something? Impressive the range of patches that are on it, its got a pretty wide range of uses, but I will prob use it for pads and ambient stuff mostly. Think it was the 2nd iOS synth I bought? Can't remember why.... maybe the curb appeal.

• @drez would you say LayR would be comparible to Arturia's Analog Lab?

footnote - any developer that creates something for the community has a big thumbs up. these developers, whether i need their tools or not, give the iOS music community another boost and add more credibility and should be applauded for their efforts.

i wouldn't dare make a snidey comment about to a musician because he is making music that doesn't sound the same as my favourite band. we shouldn't be doing this to developers either.

• edited April 2018

I wasn't going to reply, but everybody can stop all this snyde remark nonsense right now.
    NOTHING bad was said about this developer or this synth, stop being so very very silly.
    In fact this developer has a very good reputation around here and is recommended by some of our regular posters !!

This is first and foremost a forum for Beatmaker, and when a user of Beatmaker asked (read the thread, don't just assume things) how something could be done in Beatmaker, i tried my best to work out a way to do it with the current version.
    You better keep in mind that this is a Beatmaker forum and i will not apologise for trying to achieve and help others achieve things in Beatmaker that can be done elsewhere in other software.

Now at least two posts from users have been made that come across like somebody has kicked their dog.
    One snyde remark was made, which i made in jest (I thought the sarcasm was made very very obvious, apparently not) and that was about the name being misspelt (the developer of this plugin already renamed one of his plugins because of remarks made about its misspelt name, in that case it couldn't even be searched in Google, my remark was a reference to that)
    In fact i am actually going to go as far as say that the only 'Snyde' remarks outside my sarcasm about the misspelt name was directed at users of Beatmaker for discussing Beatmaker on the Beatmaker forum.

Be warned right now, you are walking a thin line attacking Beatmaker users for discussing Beatmaker techniques on the Beatmaker forum, this forum is supplied as a courtesy by Intua with the tagline "The BeatMaker forums is a place to discuss INTUA apps. A growing community for music production, connecting and discussing anything related to BeatMaker 3."

• C'mon people ;)

• Maybe the forum would benefit from an 'other gear' post category?

Elektron/Teenage Engineering forums benefit hugely from having that category and a kind of 70/30 ratio of converstion subject matter... Keeps things interesting and makes those forums a good source for keeping up with new products and user feedback on them.

• There is no problem whatsoever making posts about other apps, we even have compatibility threads for all AUs etc, but people can't be having little head fits because Beatmaker is discussed in any thread on this forum.