When will autosave, well, automatically save?

edited May 2018 in General

I get a few crashes a day, not too bad for iOS, and most of the time I’ve saved my work and it’s A-OK. But then sometimes I get in the groove and forget about it, and when the crash happens and thirty minutes of work is gone, it’s at these times I really wish autosave, well, autosaved. I can’t remember one time autosave ever saved me from a crash or was ever useful, so I’m not sure what function it has in its current form.

Comments

• I am a bit dissapointed about the autosave in BM3 too. It would be fine if the autosave is executed e.g. every 5 minutes. Now it seems that is more like every 30 minutes...

• edited May 2018

It is no doubt 30 minutes or greater-which is no autosave at all. Especially since BM3 crashes nearly every hour on bad days and at least once or twice a day on good days. Bottom line—there Is nothing that auto-save does that makes it a useful function. I’m surprised more people haven’t agreed with this or spoken up at this post I can’t imagine any single soul who uses this app would be satisfied with the autosave as it is.

• After a while, you learn to ignore the autosaves and just do them yourself 😉
    It does get me out of the flow, though, so I would love one that works 🙂

• edited May 2018

Yeah.

• Agreed, find the autosave all but useless and have to remind myself to manually save regularly.

• After everything edit I do I save. Move midi back out pattern save adjust kicks save change colors save before I load an au save I’ve learned the hard way to save.

• edited June 2018

I'm very happy managing saves manually, and have lost far more progress (and entire projects) using Korg Gadget for the 6 months before switching to BM3 almost a year ago.

• Maybe they should add a shortcut like a tap or gesture somewhere on the screen? This isn’t a problem with DAWs cause you can usually just press cmd+s and it will save. How about letting us do the same from Bluetooth keyboard? Keyboard support would let you add all sorts of hotkeys. @mathieugarcia I think this would be a very useful feature request. There’s tons of tiny Bluetooth keyboards out there and even cases for iPads with them built in. Any chance of this ever happening?

• My suggestion:
    Quicksave icon (with asterisk to indicate changes since last save)

• +1 on the Quick Save icon.

Would also like to see a "Revert to previous save" in the regular file options. Sometimes I take things a little too far beyond the undo option...

• @tk32 said:
    My suggestion:

+10 for this!

• edited June 2018

Lolz y’all. I accidentally discovered the most reliable ways to auto save currently. Try one of the following methods, they all work (these are methods, not steps):
    1. Press home button, return to app.
    2. Double tap home button to bring up app switching, press home again to return to the app.
    3. Lock and unlock your iPad

How do I know for SURE that all of these methods work? I watched the time stamp of the auto save file in Files app as I did these things.

(In the video I show the 10:56 timestamp twice, then I use method 1 above and show the timestamp is then 10:57)

I discovered this while testing the AU automation record bug.

• @ronji said:
    Lolz y’all. I accidentally discovered the most reliable ways to auto save currently. Try one of the following methods, they all work (these are methods, not steps):
    1. Press home button, return to app.
    2. Double tap home button to bring up app switching, press home again to return to the app.
    3. Lock and unlock your iPad

How do I know for SURE that all of these methods work? I watched the time stamp of the auto save file in Files app as I did these things.

I discovered this while testing the AU automation record bug.

Nice! you unlocked the secret. 😁
    Thanks!

• edited June 2018

That sounds longwinded compared to just pressing the save button in the app. Why would you do something like this that takes even more steps.

Edit: just seen these are not steps. I see. Interesting

• edited June 2018

@groovey said:
    That sounds longwinded compared to just pressing the save button in the app. Why would you do something like this that takes even more steps.

@ronji u should work for MI5

• @groovey said:

@groovey said:

@ronji u should work for MI5

Hahahaha. Maybe I should =p

• edited June 2018

Just lost two hours of fun. And no autosave 😢
    Edit: My bad, there was one! But only half of the project... really not having a good day 😂

• =( What were you doing when it crashed?

• edited June 2018

@ronji said:
    =( What were you doing when it crashed?

Trying to make something out of kitchen sounds 😉
    I really should try to get the home button trick in my fingers 🙂

• Just keep saving manually every 5 minutes or so.. or every time you make a couple significant changes.

• @tk32 said:
    Just keep saving manually every 5 minutes or so.. or every time you make a couple significant changes.

I know, but I tend to get lost in what I’m doing when I’m having fun 🙄
    Oh well. Apparently hitting undo after cutting a pattern while a project is playing is not a swell idea... should’ve known better 😬

• All these are awful time consuming workarounds. It shouldn’t be good enough. If a function is named autosave, it should autosave, which is a completely possible technology you see in Patterning, Cubasis, Modstep, and other apps. It’s not difficult coding. Don’t call it autosave if it doesn’t autosave, so that users need to know they must save every five minutes, which should be a common habit with computer producers.

• @stormywaterz said:
    After everything edit I do I save. Move midi back out pattern save adjust kicks save change colors save before I load an au save I’ve learned the hard way to save.

Sounds like so much fun like I could lose myself in the creative process and not worry about the tool I have in my hand working correctly.

• @tk32 said:
    My suggestion:

How in the hell you make a fake screen with an icon you want in it as a demo shot?

• @jstrotter Yeah we've all established that autosave doesn't do anything currently, unless it maybe kicks in after an unknown amount of time, or you can do one of the workarounds or use manual save until this gets fixed in an update. I'm sure you're frustrated, as we all are to some degree. 3.1 is coming.

• @ronji said:
    @jstrotter Yeah we've all established that autosave doesn't do anything currently, unless it maybe kicks in after an unknown amount of time, or you can do one of the workarounds or use manual save until this gets fixed in an update. I'm sure you're frustrated, as we all are to some degree. 3.1 is coming.

Yeah.

• @jstrotter Surprised to see you on this forum after the way you diss the BM3 developers on FB! Have you come to apologize?

• @GusGranite said:
    @jstrotter Surprised to see you on this forum after the way you diss the BM3 developers on FB! Have you come to apologize?

No I’ve come to try and improve the app with constructive reporting and feedback. I still have the same opinion but want to help because BM3 is useful and promising. I have no qualms sharing my feelings because I stand by them. There is stuff going on in this coding department I will just never understand but at least I can try and help.

• @jstrotter said:

@tk32 said:
    My suggestion:

How in the hell you make a fake screen with an icon you want in it as a demo shot?

L33t Photoshop skillz. ;)

• L33t Photoshop skillz. ;)

:o