Bank Wide Pad Editing

edited June 2018 in Feature Requests

(This has probably come up)

Currently to trim and normalize all of the pads on a bank requires the user to...

• select pad
  • edit
  • trim
  • process
  • normalize
  • apply
  • x
  • repeat 128 times (ack!))

Having just a couple taps to achieve this global bank edit would save tons of time and really open up workflow opportunities.

Comments

• This would be huge. I swear my iPad screen has holes in it from doing this process again and again and again...

Would also be great to duplicate pad groups of 16 or 64 to the next page of pad groups. I use the pad pages to modify the sample layers and I have to laboriously copy each pad one by one right now. Just allowing multiple select in pad view (keeping copy/paste at the bottom) would do the trick.

• edited June 2018

Just thinking, this plus transient detection would make even having a 20-30 minute chunk of time massively productive.

• Agree, which is the name of the game with mobile musicking. BM3 is so, so close to being perfect for my workflow--even just quick sessions on the go. (iPhone version would be welcome to extend this.) I'm encouraged that many of the feature requests reflect common use cases...

• Not sure how trim could be bank wide, each sample would be a different length, no ?

• @5pinlink said:
    Not sure how trim could be bank wide, each sample would be a different length, no ?

Yessir. They would all be different.

• So really you just want an option on processes pad or bank ?

• I would like two buttons somewhere when you have a bank selected.

1.) Trim all pads in bank.
    2.) Normalize all pads in bank.

(This could be a handy until menu that even has ‘remove unused pads’ but I have yet to think about that much)

• Yeah sorry, i don't really get it, every sample would have to be exactly the same size, i don't see how that is any faster than just hitting trim after you have moved the start and end points of that particular sample.

It just seems like a natural situation right now to be honest, edit your start and end point, hit trim, if you are editing start and end points and then moving on to other tasks before hitting trim, either you have a sample that has extra content in it and you should duplicate it and trim anyway or it is just bad housekeeping that results in too much resources being used, i have tried to cover this before when others where having issues with moving start and end points and not trim,ing and B3 was crashing or grinding down to a crawl.

My mindset on this is probably just a throwback to limited RAM on my hardware samplers of yore, but the same actually applies now i am in the world of IOS.

• edited June 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Yeah sorry, i don't really get it, every sample would have to be exactly the same size, i don't see how that is any faster than just hitting trim after you have moved the start and end points of that particular sample.

No they would be the range they were set to. Not each the same length.

It just seems like a natural situation right now to be honest, edit your start and end point, hit trim, if you are editing start and end points and then moving on to other tasks before hitting trim, either you have a sample that has extra content in it and you should duplicate it and trim anyway or it is just bad housekeeping that results in too much resources being used, i have tried to cover this before when others where having issues with moving start and end points and not trim,ing and B3 was crashing or grinding down to a crawl.

Ahhh, I am talking post ‘slice to pads’ cleanup. Not copy/paste one at a time.

My mindset on this is probably just a throwback to limited RAM on my hardware samplers of yore, but the same actually applies now i am in the world of IOS.

I come from the desktop daw, near limitless disk streaming audio chopper world primarily, although I did have a Yamaha A3000. My daw projects have hundreds of small audio slices, which is what i end up with now in BM3 as it is the best at it on mobile that I have found. Hence me so happy with it!

As for this particular BM3 sampler workflow...

1.) I record for about three to five minutes of just noodeling and commiting audio, lots of various fx, pulling levers, tweaking dials, etc. Creative chaos. Ussualy while a loop is playing but sometimes just plunking keys.

2.) I then take the recording and set pretty much all 128 slice points, sometimes using the auto-grid but also sometimes by hand of varying sizes. Then I slice to pads... over a hundred at once... BOOM!

Now I have up to 128 untrimmed and non-normalized pads. I just want them all trimmed (to their individual lengths, whatever they are) and normalized. This takes a while. Anyway, not trying to sell you on a workflow as this just fits my desktop disk streaming ‘audio chopper’ workflow that I have done for years like a glove but takes longer than it need to.

It sounds like you are into more controlled, deliberate perfection, designing and crafting individual instruments whereas I am casting a broad wide net on captured performance chunks and jamming with those on pads like a massive drum kit.

• I thought "slice to pads trimmed" was an option when tapping save in slice mode. Would normalizing the sample with slice mode off be enough, or would you need to normalize each and every pad? I could see the benefit of normalizing a selection of pads at once, though.

• edited June 2018

@ronji said:
    I thought "slice to pads trimmed" was an option when tapping save in slice mode. Would normalizing the sample with slice mode off be enough, or would you need to normalize each and every pad? I could see the benefit of normalizing a selection of pads at once, though.

I don't see ‘slice to pads trimmed’. Not a bad idea to put it there though!

Normalize selected pads works too of course... I would just highlight every pad, heh. i can do this in samplitude in about ten seconds but it takes me ten minutes in BM3. If I have to then fine but doing this on six banks is an hour (half days commute) as opposed to one minute. Oh it burns! ;)

• PS. Ipad 2017 handles all this super well.

• @ronji said:
    I thought "slice to pads trimmed" was an option when tapping save in slice mode. Would normalizing the sample with slice mode off be enough, or would you need to normalize each and every pad? I could see the benefit of normalizing a selection of pads at once, though.

You know what, i could swear there used to be a save samples to pads that did exactly that, so weird ??
    That is definitely needed back if it was there and new if it wasn't haha.

• As far as I can see you have to trim the samples one by one. And even then it’s tricky, I have to tap on the ‘active’ slice before trimming or I end up with the first slice on every pad.

• edited June 2018

[COMMENT DELETED]

posted this in the wrong thread (sorry)

• Maybe I was mixing up the "save as separate samples" option. Sorry! That option trims all slices but they just get saved to the samples directory so you'd then have to navigate to the directory and then load all samples to pads individually. Definitely need slice to pads trimmed and/or an option to save as separate slices while also adding the slices to pads!

• cool, yah!

‘Slice to pads’ should have a ‘trimmed’ and ‘normalize’ checkbox.

In a nutshell I would love to record for 3-5 minutes and then within another 5 minutes have 128 currated slices all trimmed and normalized on pads ready to play.

• This would be really handy for the current battle. I've got about 10 minutes of kitchen audio which i've sliced into about 64 samples, so it'd be great to have them all trimmed and normalised when slicing to pads.

Something tells me that having them trimmed would also be more efficient on RAM usage than having the entire 10 minute clip loaded on each pad, but I'm sure there is clever memory management going on behind the scenes so I could be wrong!

• Save to samples works, but for me it means even more work (taps) 🙂 look ‘m up, drag them back on a pad, and you still have to normalize one by one anyway...
    I just slice, save to pads, go into sampler view, and start on the first pad. Tap slice, trim, proces, normalize, ok, next pad and repeat. After a while it’s an automatism 🙂

• Am with you all on this. As an alternative in the meanwhile, how about placing a limited on the bank, as a one stop shop to instantly raise all levels to an equal place? Is that an option ?

• @groovey said:
    Am with you all on this. As an alternative in the meanwhile, how about placing a limited on the bank, as a one stop shop to instantly raise all levels to an equal place? Is that an option ?

I normalize before I slice, but if the volume varies too much or if you have as much as one peak, it doesn't work well, of course. I guess compressing/limiting could do the job, but somehow I seem to prefer normalizing, I guess it makes me feel more in controle 🤷‍♂️

• @denx said:

@groovey said:
    Am with you all on this. As an alternative in the meanwhile, how about placing a limited on the bank, as a one stop shop to instantly raise all levels to an equal place? Is that an option ?

I normalize before I slice, but if the volume varies too much or if you have as much as one peak, it doesn't work well, of course. I guess compressing/limiting could do the job, but somehow I seem to prefer normalizing, I guess it makes me feel more in controle 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I know what you mean.

• Note that you can select a peak and limit it down to match the rest of the sample, a trick I’ve used to reduce vocal transients or mic pops

• Yah I do Maxima / No Limits things quite a bit, it does help.

• @ronji said:
    Note that you can select a peak and limit it down to match the rest of the sample, a trick I’ve used to reduce vocal transients or mic pops

Yah I tend to get pretty micro with Samplitude, particularly because I can make little slices that have nice crossfades too, to avoid pops. I do wonder if BM3 has a slight crossfade built in when you normalize a range, as it seems quite good at not giving pops in the result.

• edited June 2018

@ronji said:
    Note that you can select a peak and limit it down to match the rest of the sample, a trick I’ve used to reduce vocal transients or mic pops

Which plugin can you do this with, or do you mean when you normalise you select the peak and limit it down and then normalise the whole clip?

• @groovey said:

@ronji said:

Which plugin can you do this with, or do you mean when you normalise you select the peak and limit it down and then normalise the whole clip?

Second option should work 😊

• edited June 2018

@denx said:

@groovey said:

@ronji said:

Yeah, and sorry, I meant normalize down the peak =)
    I haven’t noticed any artifacts or pops when I do this, as the wave start and end points don’t get slammed down to zero or anything. Usually you’ll get a zero crossing on selection points, but even if you don’t it should be fine. The main caveat is that you have to do guesswork as to what dB you want to normalize down to, or try again or use undo and try again, etc. It would be cool if there was a horizontal line to reference the dB you’re about to normalize to.

• @ronji said:

@denx said:

@groovey said:

@ronji said:

I haven’t noticed any artifacts or pops when I do this, as the wave start and end points don’t get slammed down to zero or anything. Usually you’ll get a zero crossing on selection points, but even if you don’t it should be fine. The main caveat is that you have to do guesswork as to what dB you want to normalize down to, or try again or use undo and try again, etc. It would be cool if there was a horizontal line to reference the dB you’re about to normalize to.

@ronji said:

@denx said:

@groovey said:

@ronji said:

Thanks @ronji @denx would be great if this could be done automatically to a whole Clip. Ie reduce all peaks

• @groovey said:
    Thanks @ronji @denx would be great if this could be done automatically to a whole Clip. Ie reduce all peaks

That's exactly what compressors and limiters were designed for. Why not run the audio with all the peaks through a compressor, then route/record the output back to a new pad/sample.