How do people copyright their music ?

Do they email it to themselves so that it is time stamped ? And is that sufficient ?

Comments

• Sorry - I've never made anything good enough for me to care to find out

Now I'm really curious to hear your music :)

• Still have some work to do before releasing to the world. But am definitely liking what I’m making at the moment. Finally.

• I believe in sampling as an art form and have always refused to copyright my music as reusable content outside reproduction and claim in full.
    IE i want people sampling my stuff.

• @5pinlink said:
    I believe in sampling as an art form and have always refused to copyright my music as reusable content outside reproduction and claim in full.
    IE i want people sampling my stuff.

How do you eat?

• When was the last time you sued somebody for sampling a song of yours, won and fed yourself off the proceeds hahahaha, copyright makes no musician money ;)

• Not the point. You put time and effort into a creation not for someone to steal it for free. It’s no different to performing at a gig and not getting paid even though you paid for all your gear and transport etc. Also it’s not just about sampling. It’s about stealing lyrics and melodies too. Ie if you write a song and then someone basically rips it off and puts it out as their own.

• If you're paranoid about having your music ripped-off, I think the best thing you could do is pay one of the major distribution services (CDbaby, Tunecore, etc.) to release your single/album on Spotify/iTunes and register you as the artist for royalties. Although the service is not free, it seems to me this would be a better 'timestamp' than simply emailing a copy to yourself.

• @tk32 said:
    If you're paranoid about having your music ripped-off, I think the best thing you could do is pay one of the major distribution services (CDbaby, Tunecore, etc.) to release your single/album on Spotify/iTunes and register you as the artist for royalties. Although the service is not free, it seems to me this would be a better 'timestamp' than simply emailing a copy to yourself.

Paranoid? That’s like saying if you’re paranoid about having your house burgled you should get house insurance. Any sensible person does get house insurance. I looked into cdbaby I forgot about them though I remember there were very mixed reviews. I know you have to become a member of prs etc for royalties. Maybe cdbaby do all that automatically. I’ll look into it.

• @groovey said:
    Not the point. You put time and effort into a creation not for someone to steal it for free. It’s no different to performing at a gig and not getting paid even though you paid for all your gear and transport etc. Also it’s not just about sampling. It’s about stealing lyrics and melodies too. Ie if you write a song and then someone basically rips it off and puts it out as their own.

Actually it is exactly the point, you asked how i eat, i pointed out that suing somebody for copyright won't feed you either, and getting pissy about somebody sampling you is not going to do you much good health or wealth wise either.
    Either forget about it and get on with it or pay a publishing house.

• @5pinlink said:

@groovey said:
    Not the point. You put time and effort into a creation not for someone to steal it for free. It’s no different to performing at a gig and not getting paid even though you paid for all your gear and transport etc. Also it’s not just about sampling. It’s about stealing lyrics and melodies too. Ie if you write a song and then someone basically rips it off and puts it out as their own.

Actually it is exactly the point, you asked how i eat, i pointed out that suing somebody for copyright won't feed you either, and getting pissy about somebody sampling you is not going to do you much good health or wealth wise either.
    Either forget about it and get on with it or pay a publishing house.

Agree to disagree.

Just because you believe it’s fruitless to sue someone who has stolen your work with no recompense, work that you might have worked weeks or more on, and that someone else is now financially benefiting from off of your hard work, does not mean one should not do what they can to protect their work. Why allow theft just because you feel it is fruitless to try and stop it. Why would someone put all their energy and time and slave away working on a creation, with no income, to then just happily let someone else take all the credit both financially or otherwise. And again I am actually not referencing sampling per se, but the copyright of a song composition.

In light of the thread’s question, your last sentence ‘or pay a publishing house’ would have been a more useful answer.

• OK no problem, i will try to be more helpful in future ;)

• @5pinlink said:
    OK no problem, i will try to be more helpful in future ;)

Ha you’re always incredibly helpful, we just have differing views on this point I guess