Resample master bus with fx.

Can't get it working. If I set audio track 3 to record from 'master', I only get dry recording :/ no master bus fx.. Any ideas?

Comments

• edited June 2018

@Heyez said:
    Can't get it working. If I set audio track 3 to record from 'master', I only get dry recording :/ no master bus fx.. Any ideas?

Do you mean ‘main out’? Same here.
    I think the best way to go about it, if you want the fx too, is to render (export) a loop, section etc.
    Maybe some one else has a better idea?

• edited June 2018

I can't test it right now.. but assuming you're right I've devised a workaround (in theory):

1. Load your master bus FX onto a spare AUX track (eg. AUX 3)
    2. Set all banks to use pre-mixer sends.
    3. Set the Send amount for each bank (incl AUX 1+2 if in use) according to its current fader level.
    4. Kill all faders so all sound goes through AUX 3 only
    5. Record the output of the AUX 3 channel back into your track :)
  • Thing is I'm trying to use the new SpaceCraft Granular app on master bus just to mess with some of my existing BM3 sessions. So I need the full mix sent to the spacecraft app in Main FX bin and then I want to mess with little sections of the songs in the spacecraft app AUfx. And record that on BM3 tracks...

So I'm recording the mix in to the spacecraft app, all fine, messing around with it and find if sounds and patterns I really like, all fine. But then I've got no way to record any of it... I figured I could just route the main out to an audio track and use BM3 tracks to build up multitrack soundscaper from the spacecraft on main out... But what should be a smooth workflow, doesn't work... Arghhh, always something :(

The above workarounds don't work ideally because rendering is time consuming and I don't know what will work well nicely in spacecraft, before I find it....

And can't send main out to aux....

@audiogus you seem to have spent a little time using bm3 and spacecraft... Have you figured out a smooth way to get the above kind of workflow going?

Really surprised to find main out isn't post fx when routed to an audio track... Hope the general audio/midi routing gets a shot in the arm in 3.1.... Multiple tracks > One track.. Pre. Post options... etc...

• edited June 2018

@Heyez I would do as @tk32 describes. It’s the only way I know of to ‘fake’ busses. It’s tedious to set up, but it works... not sure if you need to kill all the faders though. The pad’s ‘master’ fader should do.
    I think (no time to test right now) you can actually max out all the sends and use the faders to set respective volumes.

• @denx said:
    @Heyez I would do as @tk32 describes. It’s the only way I know of to ‘fake’ busses. It’s tedious to set up, but it works... not sure if you need to kill all the faders though. The pad’s ‘master’ fader should do.
    I think (no time to test right now) you can actually max out all the sends and use the faders to set respective volumes.

Cool, will give it a try. Sorry was quick to dismiss it @tk32, I saw the word 'aux' and just thought 'that won't work for what I need', but will check it out, thanks :)

@mathieugarcia pre/post fx options and multiple-tracks when routing would be great additions ;)

• Run spacecraft as a standalone, route B3 in to that, do your noodles, then disable its input and route its output to a new track/pad for recording in B3.

Doesn't that work ?

• @Heyez said:
    Thing is I'm trying to use the new SpaceCraft Granular app on master bus just to mess with some of my existing BM3 sessions. So I need the full mix sent to the spacecraft app in Main FX bin and then I want to mess with little sections of the songs in the spacecraft app AUfx. And record that on BM3 tracks...

So I'm recording the mix in to the spacecraft app, all fine, messing around with it and find if sounds and patterns I really like, all fine. But then I've got no way to record any of it... I figured I could just route the main out to an audio track and use BM3 tracks to build up multitrack soundscaper from the spacecraft on main out... But what should be a smooth workflow, doesn't work... Arghhh, always something :(

The above workarounds don't work ideally because rendering is time consuming and I don't know what will work well nicely in spacecraft, before I find it....

@audiogus you seem to have spent a little time using bm3 and spacecraft... Have you figured out a smooth way to get the above kind of workflow going?

Really surprised to find main out isn't post fx when routed to an audio track... Hope the general audio/midi routing gets a shot in the arm in 3.1.... Multiple tracks > One track.. Pre. Post options... etc...

yah, the Au side of Spacecraft is not really working at the moment, hence the dev not listing it as an actual AU in the store yet. Spacecraft doesn’t actually recieve audio for mangling and does need to be sent a wav file. I have a workflow suggestion though that may be appealing. I just tried making a video of it but can’t get the sound to be in sync, it jumps all over.

Heh, Anywho, here is a workflow I put together using the standalone plus BM3 and Cubasis. If you don’t have Cubasis you can simply replace it with BM3. The only reason I am using Cubasis here is that I like the coarse audio editing better. But the crux of it is that you can easily audition your sounds in Bm3 for use in Spacecraft and hear it layer up in realtime as you go, if that makes sense...

1.) Sample some sounds and knob twiddling in a Synth in BM3. This is simply sound design, don’t get hung up on performance. (Don't close BM3)

2.) Play/Record it in SpaceCraft. Save it directly to your Audio folder in Cubasis. (Don't close SpaceCraft)

3.) Edit it in Cubasis (Don't close Cubasis)

Now get it looping in Cubasis. Go back to step 1 with a new sound that works well with the first...

and repeat until...

The beauty of all this is that Spacecraft recalls your Files location in BM3, so the moment you record a synth sample in BM3, boom, super super easy to load in Spacecraft. No need for cumbersome export/import at all. Cubasis has your Spacecraft recordings instantly by sending them to the now default save folder as well.

• @Audiogus said:

@Heyez said:
    Thing is I'm trying to use the new SpaceCraft Granular app on master bus just to mess with some of my existing BM3 sessions. So I need the full mix sent to the spacecraft app in Main FX bin and then I want to mess with little sections of the songs in the spacecraft app AUfx. And record that on BM3 tracks...

yah, the Au side of Spacecraft is not really working at the moment, hence the dev not listing it as an actual AU in the store yet. Spacecraft doesn’t actually recieve audio for mangling and does need to be sent a wav file. I have a workflow suggestion though that may be appealing. I just tried making a video of it but can’t get the sound to be in sync, it jumps all over.

Heh, Anywho, here is a workflow I put together using the standalone plus BM3 and Cubasis. If you don’t have Cubasis you can simply replace it with BM3. The only reason I am using Cubasis here is that I like the coarse audio editing better. But the crux of it is that you can easily audition your sounds in Bm3 for use in Spacecraft and hear it layer up in realtime as you go, if that makes sense...

1.) Sample some sounds and knob twiddling in a Synth in BM3. This is simply sound design, don’t get hung up on performance. (Don't close BM3)

2.) Play/Record it in SpaceCraft. Save it directly to your Audio folder in Cubasis. (Don't close SpaceCraft)

3.) Edit it in Cubasis (Don't close Cubasis)

Now get it looping in Cubasis. Go back to step 1 with a new sound that works well with the first...

and repeat until...

The beauty of all this is that Spacecraft recalls your Files location in BM3, so the moment you record a synth sample in BM3, boom, super super easy to load in Spacecraft. No need for cumbersome export/import at all. Cubasis has your Spacecraft recordings instantly by sending them to the now default save folder as well.

Thanks for the info :) I actually ended up doing something very similar and just plugging my iPad audio out in to my interface and using desktop daws to record/layer. It's a great creative/fast/random workflow with this app like you mention! Spits out loops/layers really fast/easy..

Will try out the 'all inside iPad' version you laid out above and see if it feels as smooth as going to daw. But even if not it'll still be handy for messing around when I'm not near my computer :)

Video would be cool if you get it figured out. I got a little confused when you were describing the files stuff...

Cheers!

• It's difficult to do a screen recording where you switch between apps, as sound will often get off sync or just drop out or both, so I'd recommend recording the video with an external camera or by piping the iPad display and audio to a computer to capture (pretty easy on a Mac).

• @ronji said:
    It's difficult to do a screen recording where you switch between apps, as sound will often get off sync or just drop out or both, so I'd recommend recording the video with an external camera or by piping the iPad display and audio to a computer to capture (pretty easy on a Mac).

Yah I can get pretty good results using Apowermirror to PC and OBS on PC but the setup of even turning on my PC / sitting at a desk requires a deep breath and a mantra. Just using my second ipad over the shoulder style can be moderately couch friendly with gooseneck stands so I may endeavor to set up a prerigged stand for such occassions. Would be fun to have a quick ‘flip the switch / record the shit’ setup. If iOS ever gets a solid video/audio record/stream (seems inevitable) that will be kick ass.

• Whats wrong with the screen recorder ?

• @5pinlink said:
    Whats wrong with the screen recorder ?

If you switch apps while recording you'll have issues. Especially when switching apps that are making sound. I thought you had some mention about that in your screen recording tips thread? I might be mistaken on that, but I've definitely had audio problems when trying to switch between apps because they weren't AUv3

• Yeah i gave a tip for that, make sure both appsare open before you hit record, or have they changed it and that no longer works ?

All audio generating apps need to be open before starting to record, even AU plugins.

• Yeah, and I feel like I've tried that and still had unsatisfactory results. All of the apps were open before recording because I typically test out what I'm gonna record beforehand. Maybe it's something specific to my first gen Pro.

• They may well have changed it, its been a while since i did all the tips, so i could be way off the mark.