Turnado is now an AU

Why are you reading this?

87.3meg

Comments

• YES finally! I was hoping this would come soon after they made that comment on their Unique synth AU update about dropping IAA and AB for what they think is the future of iOS music, AUv3

• Amazing! Hoping they do the same for the remainder of their apps too and any more that come in the future!

• What the freaking heck?? That’s like a serious fx package to the point where I’m not sure what else you need. Time to buy me some tornado.

Does anyone know how it fairs cpu wise. Like can you slap on a whole bunch of them ?

Wow b3 / SynthMaster / poison / tornado / perforator. For me, desktop has officially come to iOS !

• @groovey said:
    What the freaking heck?? That’s like a serious fx package to the point where I’m not sure what else you need. Time to buy me some tornado.

Does anyone know how it fairs cpu wise. Like can you slap on a whole bunch of them ?

Wow b3 / SynthMaster / poison / tornado / perforator. For me, desktop has officially come to iOS !

Spent a good hour commuting with it... amazing... stunning, so nice and BIG UI now... cpu is so low... had about six instances spread across various banks of drums and one on a Synthmaster One synth and hit around 15% CPU on my 2017. So like, the only practical overhead is just being able to use it properly.

I hope this gets SugarBytes a ton of sales.

Oh the only thing I encountered is the AU parameter 1 missing bug in BM3 so you can only automate 2-6 until 3.1 comes out (I think).. boohoo.. ;) I rarely use more than three in Turnado anyway.

• @Audiogus said:

@groovey said:
    What the freaking heck?? That’s like a serious fx package to the point where I’m not sure what else you need. Time to buy me some tornado.

Spent a good hour commuting with it... amazing... stunning, so nice and BIG UI now... cpu is so low... had about six instances spread across various banks of drums and one on a Synthmaster One synth and hit around 15% CPU on my 2017. So like, the only practical overhead is just being able to use it properly.

I hope this gets SugarBytes a ton of sales.

Oh the only thing I encountered is the AU parameter 1 missing bug in BM3 so you can only automate 2-6 until 3.1 comes out (I think).. boohoo.. ;) I rarely use more than three in Turnado anyway.

I’m literally beyond excited. This is just .... (cluches pearls to chest and faints on couch)

• So excited I am downloading on the train over tethered mobile data.

Only 90mb you said, right?

• This is an excellent Auv3 for BM3

• I can now do what I wanted to do in Auria all those many years ago.

• Didn't realise it was £19.99 :/

(Bit pricey, no?)

• I think the vst is over a hundred... ...

• edited June 2018

I have a feeling several of us bought turnado long ago, but I’d like to say that I’d pick it up now if I hadn’t already.

Here’s some random playing with one instance on the master channel. I haven’t even gone into the deep editing of these effects much yet.

Also read about it here. There’s also a bit about Beardyman and how he uses turnado in his beardytron 5000.
    https://sugar-bytes.de/turnado

• @ronji was that example your own composition?

• edited June 2018

@ronji Oh man that’s talent right there. Has a great vibe

• edited June 2018

I'm not too keen on their slogan:

"One knob turns it on"

https://sugar-bytes.de/turnado

:* (then again, perhaps only us brits get the 'knob' reference)

...in fact the whole website and video feels like it's been targeted at pre-teen skateboarders. I've seen more mature adverts for 'Play-Doh' than this shite.

• It’s definitely capable of quite a lot. I own the VST and it will go as deep as you want. The amount of automation you can do and assign to “one knob” is amazing and great for live performance.

• @groovey thanks! I felt really good about it too. =)

@tk32 haha it’s a funny slogan, but it’s true! As @drez said, one knob does a loooot in this thing. Midway through the video I shared you can see the edit screen for a single knob. Well worth it! I bet we’re gonna see a lot more videos and reviews for this plugin now that it’s AU, so you could wait and see. I don’t think this is a sale price.

• This app looks like stutter edit vst, lo fi dirt, cassette daw-kinda, msx cassette stop AU thing and who knows how many others, all rolled into one. It’s crazy how everyone went crazy over lofi dirt etc and AUs like that, when they seem to be only one tiny element of what this beast can do.

• edited June 2018

Can do a lot with Turnado but oh man stutter edit would be nice. It is my fav vst effect.

• @Audiogus said:
    Can do a lot with Turnado but oh man stutter edit would be nice. It is my fav vst effect.

Mine too. Sometimes I have to hold back from going to crazy with it. Tornado looks like it has very similar though according to ronjis vid

• @ronji video is excellent but it only scratches the surface of what's possible with this one. Buy it, trust me. With the automation in BM3 it's as close to a no brainer as you are gonna get. At least until Egoist AU rolls in...

• And no Turnado V2 separate app business. SugarBytes know what time it is!

• @groovey said:
    This app looks like stutter edit vst, lo fi dirt, cassette daw-kinda, msx cassette stop AU thing and who knows how many others, all rolled into one. It’s crazy how everyone went crazy over lofi dirt etc and AUs like that, when they seem to be only one tiny element of what this beast can do.

That’s how I feel too. Turnado can do all that, you just gotta sit and set it up, plus it works well, fly tape and Lo-Fly cause latency sometimes for what they are I feel like they shouldn’t. But I think the appeal of those two apps over turnado is the simplicity of em, some people hate setting things up and just want to open an effect and go....I love turnado

• @selfinflict3 said:

@groovey said:
    This app looks like stutter edit vst, lo fi dirt, cassette daw-kinda, msx cassette stop AU thing and who knows how many others, all rolled into one. It’s crazy how everyone went crazy over lofi dirt etc and AUs like that, when they seem to be only one tiny element of what this beast can do.

That’s how I feel too. Turnado can do all that, you just gotta sit and set it up, plus it works well, fly tape and Lo-Fly cause latency sometimes for what they are I feel like they shouldn’t. But I think the appeal of those two apps over turnado is the simplicity of em, some people hate setting things up and just want to open an effect and go....I love turnado

I was so happy when I was told that if I run the standalone I get all my old presets because most of them were made in a 'no idea what I am doing' happy accident flow. I love Turnado but will likely never know it super well. Now Effectrix I feel I know well and am super looking forward too as an AU. It gets more use for me and is more of a molder/shaper that I approach with intention.

• @Audiogus said:

@selfinflict3 said:

@groovey said:

I was so happy when I was told that if I run the standalone I get all my old presets because most of them were made in a 'no idea what I am doing' happy accident flow. I love Turnado but will likely never know it super well. Now Effectrix I feel I know well and am super looking forward too as an AU. It gets more use for me and is more of a molder/shaper that I approach with intention.

Is effectrix very similar to what turnado does only the input method via the step sequencer UI the main different ? Seems to have the same kind of effects ?

• edited June 2018

@groovey said:

@Audiogus said:

@selfinflict3 said:

@groovey said:

Is effectrix very similar to what turnado does only the input method via the step sequencer UI the main different ? Seems to have the same kind of effects ?

The step sequencer and ability to easily modulate fx parameters along the sequencer, as well as send midi to change the sequence pattern is the key standout difference with Effectrix for me but the effects themselves are simply simpler to grok/tweak and get a hold of. Every parameter makes sense quickly. Turnado is more of a science project with bubbling over beakers and sparks. I am more apt to make a 'run on sample fodder' library experiment with Turnado just mucking about for fun, waiting for happy accidents without a specific vibe and more likely to use Effectrix as an effect in the mixing/magic phase, but the two can be used for either.

Another way to put it, for me the two are different enough to justify having both. Generaly/subjectively Turnado seems like 'make bigger and epic' or totally destroy the source and practicaly be a nutty synth beast in and of itself, whereas Effectrix is the quickly 'tune and shape the character' in specific more predictable ways, maintaining the original vibe or performance characteristics, but peppring in some jammy groove if that makes sense.

• @Audiogus said:

@groovey said:

@Audiogus said:

@selfinflict3 said:

@groovey said:

The step sequencer and ability to easily modulate fx parameters along the sequencer, as well as send midi to change the sequence pattern is the key standout difference with Effectrix for me but the effects themselves are simply simpler to grok/tweak and get a hold of. Every parameter makes sense quickly. Turnado is more of a science project with bubbling over beakers and sparks. I am more apt to make a 'run on sample fodder' library experiment with Turnado just mucking about for fun, waiting for happy accidents without a specific vibe and more likely to use Effectrix as an effect in the mixing/magic phase, but the two can be used for either.

Another way to put it, for me the two are different enough to justify having both. Generaly/subjectively Turnado seems like 'make bigger and epic' or totally destroy the source and practicaly be a nutty synth beast in and of itself, whereas Effectrix is the quickly 'tune and shape the character' in specific more predictable ways, maintaining the original vibe or performance characteristics, but peppring in some jammy groove if that makes sense.

Yeah I get u. I guess it’s gonna have to be both that I get then. If effectrix becomes AU.

• Here is how I set up turnado on my master. So much fun..

• @selfinflict3 said:
    Here is how I set up turnado on my master. So much fun..

Very cool! Hadn’t thought of doing it as a final master pass until now.