Audio Track recording issue

I'm trying to record some instruments and vocals into BM3 using my Behringer U404 input device, but I'm having some odd issues. After setting the correct input and arming the track, when I record, the decibel level comes out incredibly low. I can process the recording by normalizing and then hear that there was indeed something recorded. I don't have this issue in Cubasis or Auria Pro with all the same hardware and routing.

If I try to add an effect to boost the signal in BM3, I get the same results. For example, I've added Tonestack to the Audio Track effect and can get audio coming in through it, but at a very low volume. If I get out of BM3 and load up an instance of Tonestack outside of BM3, everything works great.

I've dug through support pages and looked through all the settings I can think of in BM3, but nothing seems able to resolve this. It seems like it's either a bug in BM3 or I'm missing a setting inside of the app somewhere.

Any input is much appreciated.

Comments

• Also see this issue if I try to route audio through Audiobus, but again only with BM3.

• How are you setting the input level, whatare you using for monitoring and is monitoring turned on in B3 ?

• edited June 2018

@5pinlink said:
    How are you setting the input level, whatare you using for monitoring and is monitoring turned on in B3 ?

Thanks for your response. I can adjust the input level beginning at my instrument I suppose. That is up all the way. Then I run into a passive DI box that sends to the U404. The gain is setup so that I'm just under the red line on the device when I play/sing.

I'll have to look into how to turn "monitoring" on in BM3. I figure it has to be a setting somewhere in the app because I can keep all the same hardware chain just as it is and get a perfect signal when I jump out of BM3 and open up an instance of any of the AUv3s or IAA apps that I'm trying in BM3. Of course I don't get a good signal when just arming a track and trying to record without an effect/app associated with the track in BM3 either. There's just no volume there. Everything is recorded so low that's nearly imperceptible.

I wouldn't think that a monitoring function would regulate the gain on an actual input signal to record, but maybe there is something there.

• edited June 2018

And it records perfectly everywhere else ?

Im at a loss, everything i have set up that works in Cubasis, works in B3, not sure what is happening.

How are you selecting the input ? Have you tried recording to a pad instead, just for checking ?
    Are you sure that the interface is definitely being used and it isnt just recording via the iPad mic (i know, silly question but this is Apple and IOS)

• edited June 2018

@5pinlink said:
    And it records perfectly everywhere else ?

Im at a loss, everything i have set up that works in Cubasis, works in B3, not sure what is happening.

How are you selecting the input ? Have you tried recording to a pad instead, just for checking ?
    Are you sure that the interface is definitely being used and it isnt just recording via the iPad mic (i know, silly question but this is Apple and IOS)

Yep. Everything else inputs and records just fine through this hardware. I do all my monitoring in my cans, so there's no audio the mic would pick up other than "dammit" after every failed attempt to get this working :) To select the input, I'm holding down on the header name of the audio track in the mixer view. That brings up the "hardware input" and then I select my channel from the U404. I've tried going to stereo vs mono as I usually record in mono and thought that might be creating issues in BM3.

I've confirmed the signal is good with the same hardware setup in Cubasis 2 and Auria Pro. It's a bummer as this was working until recently in BM3. Maybe it was the latest iOS 11 update?

I have not tried recording directly to a pad. I'll do that. Thanks!

I may make a video of it. If I find a solution I'll post so any others in the situation can get it resolved.

• Just spitballing here, did upu try restarting the ipad ? (Like i said, at a loss, really weird issue)

• Thanks for the continued suggestions. You guys are great.

I did try restarting and it didn't solve the issue. I'll check the bit depth settings when I'm back in the studio this afternoon. Is there a recommended value for that setting with audio recording? Is something that isn't very low latency potentially better?

• Something else odd I just noticed. TouchID will no longer work if I have a lightning cable plugged in. Starting to think this could be an iOS problem on my machine.

• edited July 2018

In case someone else in a similar situation comes across this, here's what fixed the issue for me.

Despite the fact that BM3 has the ability to switch hardware inputs, it only received sound from the first input in the four input Behringer U404. On top of that, I had to go to the mixer page, hit the "I/O" input/output button on the bottom right, and set the output to a channel OTHER than the first input channel on the U404 in order to monitor anything through that piece of hardware. Then the "MON" button had to be toggled on that channel.

In addition to all that, I found that some IAA apps would lock the ability to change hardware inputs and some of them would default to whatever the last selected input was when running the app. So for example when I fired up Amplitube and added it as an effect on the audio track, I'd lose sound again if the last used hardware input in that app didn't match the hardware input selected for the audio track in BM3.

whew

It was a pain to debug, but all good now! Thanks for all your suggestions. It was my first post. You guys are helpful on these forums!