Choke groups when using single channel mode — is it possible?

edited July 2018 in General

Am working with a relatively complex configuration at the moment, with all my instruments hosted in one bank (for live performance purposes).

All running nicely in general but I have one issue that’s a little irritating. Wondering if anyone has any experience on this:

I have pads 17-32 occupied by drum kit samples, 21-24 are various hi hats. Obviously, I’d like these to share a choke group. However using a multi channel setup for drums isn’t an option as I’m hosting many different instruments and most MIDI data is coming in from the same port.

The drums trigger fine (which I achieved by mapping the sample note for each to a single midinote and setting the channel inputs to the same value). Setting up this way means that when any pad on that channel is triggered, all pads on that channel are triggered — meaning anything in a choke group is immediately killed on triggering, before the pad can even sound.

Anyone got any insight, experience or any solution for this?

Oscar

Comments

• I haven't tested this, but you could try layering the hihats on a single pad (map each sample to a different key, eg C4/D4/E4/F4) and then set an input midi channel for the pad and play them chromatically? If you set polyphony to 1 it ‘might' have a similar effect to using choke groups

• @tk32 said:
    I haven't tested this, but you could try layering the hihats on a single pad (map each sample to a different key, eg C4/D4/E4/F4) and then set an input midi channel for the pad and play them chromatically? If you set polyphony to 1 it ‘might' have a similar effect to using choke groups

Ah yeah you’re right — that should be a solution!

Next challenge now then is that I’m using the drum samples from Intuas IAP acoustic drumkit — they are very layered with many samples per drum. Do you know of any way to copy these things over to a different pad beside selecting the same samples and meticulously duplicating all parameters? Just had a look and can’t see anything obvious.

• edited July 2018

@OscarSouth said:
    Next challenge now then is that I’m using the drum samples from Intuas IAP acoustic drumkit — they are very layered with many samples per drum. Do you know of any way to copy these things over to a different pad beside selecting the same samples and meticulously duplicating all parameters? Just had a look and can’t see anything obvious.

You can copy / paste whole pads. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding what you’re trying to do?

• @number37 said:

@OscarSouth said:

You can copy / paste whole pads. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding what you’re trying to do?

Copying and pasting from sampler mapping page on one pad to sampler mapping page on another pad.

• edited July 2018

Not sure that would ever be possible or needed, a sample map is just a destination, not the sample if you get what i mean, i can see what you want to do, but not sure the sample mapper is the place to do it.

We really need the ability to copy paste layers and samples from the sample list, that would do it.

So you would have from top to bottom, all in the same panel
    Copy pad
    Copy layer
    Copy sample

But no it cant be done right now.

• @5pinlink said:
    Not sure that would ever be possible or needed, a sample map is just a destination, not the sample if you get what i mean, i can see what you want to do, but not sure the sample mapper is the place to do it.

We really need the ability to copy paste layers and samples from the sample list, that would do it.

So you would have from top to bottom, all in the same panel
    Copy pad
    Copy layer
    Copy sample

But no it cant be done right now.

Yeah, what you described is the logical way to do it. I mentioned sample mapper because you can drag select all your samples on the map (which selects them on the sample alost) and it seems like you might be able to do it, but can’t.

Anyway, it’s a niche feature but also simple in scope and it’d be very powerful for its use case. I’ve spent a huge amount of time recreating sample layers and in this case, the layered samples are just too complex to realistically transfer to another pad.