NEW HERE. Couple Questions.

edited July 2018 in General

Like I mentioned in the title, I'm new here and really new to the beat making game lol. Life long music lover and artist to the core. I paint, draw, a little photography, amateur video editor. All around creativity is my drug.
Aaaany ways, to my point. I recently downloaded the iMPC basic on my ipad, (when I was a teen I dreamed of being a music producer) and learned a a little on how to use it. Well enough for me to want to download the Pro2 so I could try my hand at creating a whole entire beat. That is till I saw a video on youtube made by a fav producer of mine by the name of Henny The Business. He has a video using the Beatmaker3 and MAN I FELL IN LOVE!!! Him creating a beat on the spot, the breakdown and all pretty much sold me, watching him layer and sample sounds and moving, cutting, pasting awwwwww man I am hooked!!!

Now my question(s), is there a way to bring in a song from itunes or one of my folders (I have tons of music I would love to sample) into Beatmaker3? I kinda know how to bring a sample sound from other apps and such but I haven't been able to find any info or videos on how to bring over a whole song so I can cut and chop parts of it. iMAC comes with the turn table, click the load button and then my itunes list pops up. Love how easy that is and honestly I kinda feel a little cool messing with it hahah

One video I found shows me the Beatmakers3 sampler and how to use it, I see where it says "drag and drop here" but I think you can only drag whats in your library already correct?
I haven't found any videos of someone grabbing a full song and importing it to Beatmaker then sampling it. Is it because you have to use another app? Can you even do that? Any chance it comes with its own turntable lol? I would love to be able to upload a song, new or old and just go insane cutting and chopping sounds. Or lets say I have a song that has a really nice guitar lick, I would love to just bring the whole song over and into the BM sampler, cut out the lick then loop it. Then go back in to the same song and sample more sounds to use either later or in the same beat I'm trying to create.

Sorry for the long story, I want to be as clear as I can be so when you read my question you will know exactly what feature/app to look for and use.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• B3 will load a file of any length, it just has to be a supported format, makes sure your file is .wav and you cant go wrong.
    Every app supports .wav so worth converting to that and getting used to using it.

I dont have anything in itunes personally, but im pretty sure there is an open from itunes option or you can send from itunes to icloud or whatever.

I'm not at home right now, if nobody else gets back with clearer info, i will get back at you later.

• One cool way to sample from your iTunes library into Beatmaker is to purchase and use Algoriddim's Djay2 (https://www.algoriddim.com/djay-ipad). You can load it as an InterAppAudio (IAA) instrument, utilize the turntable interface and sample to your hearts content directly into BM3 and begin chopping.

• You can directly import from your iTunes music library into BM3.
    In the browser tap on the folder and down left on the screen you have an icon for music library. From there you can select any song and it will be copied to the imports as a wav file.

• edited July 2018

@samu were you getting it backwards, or were you speaking from a beta version of 3.1 which has the iTunes library button moved to the left? ;)

Make sure the music is downloaded to your iPad.

• @ronji said:
    @samu were you getting it backwards, or were you speaking from a beta version of 3.1 which has the iTunes library button moved to the left? ;)

Nope I actually checked the release version for this (can't even launch 3.1 since it's expired).

Tap the 'hamburger' on the top right, then tap the 'folder' icon and the Music Library icon is located down left on the screen ;)

Make sure the music is downloaded to your iPad.

+1 for this!

And +2 for this :D

• But @samu, the hamburger icon is at top left, along with the folder icon, and the iTunes icon is at bottom right. You had me questioning my left and right just now, but I'm fairly sure you've got it reversed. You did circle the correct icon, at bottom right! :joy: Am I going bonkers here? Hahaha

• @ronji said:
    But @samu, the hamburger icon is at top left, along with the folder icon, and the iTunes icon is at bottom right. You had me questioning my left and right just now, but I'm fairly sure you've got it reversed. You did circle the correct icon, at bottom right! :joy: Am I going bonkers here? Hahaha

Ooops, must be the heat. It's unusually hot here in Sweden and my brain feels like jello :)

• :joy: Wear protection!

• London is even worse - and has been for almost a month!

• Y'all's highs are our lows here in TX!

• I love the way mercans make out their temps are higher, then casually mention AC, you know, that thing that is in ZERO houses in the UK haha, trust me, we had some Australians staying two days ago, who have us all beat for heat, they couldn't handle it without the Aircon.

Outside hot does not equal inside baked lol.

• We don't have AC outside, and we occasionally have to go out there! But yeah, even so, our inside temps get as warm as the "record highs" mentioned at the London marathon :joy: I do wish we didn't need to rely on AC so much to be comfortable. It's expensive in the summer!

• There is a glaring question here.
    Why stay ?

• @5pinlink said:
    There is a glaring question here.
    Why stay ?

Change is scary. But you know I have really been considering leaving the country more and more in recent years, as I'm sure a lot of Americans have.

• edited July 2018

I dont mean the country, i mean texas lol
    Unless you eat a ton of steak i dont see the point of living somewhere so hot lol.

I never moan about the weather, i love cold, i love rain, i love grey skies, but this never ending heat nonsense is just annoying (to be fair i am not supposed to wear tee shirts and shorts in the sun cause i have SC, so that doesnt really help hahaha)

• I do love Texas for everything except the heat =)
    Leaving the state at this point, I mean I'd really probably rather leave the country!

• Alaska FTW

• edited July 2018

@WillieNegus said:

@5pinlink said:
    I love the way mercans make out their temps are higher, then casually mention AC, you know, that thing that is in ZERO houses in the UK haha, trust me, we had some Australians staying two days ago, who have us all beat for heat, they couldn't handle it without the Aircon.

Outside hot does not equal inside baked lol.

Wait...wtf do you mean Zero houses have AC? Is that sarcasm of some sort? Surely if you have refrigerators to cool food in every home, you have a way to cool people.

Nope. Can’t buy that one.lol

It’s true. You get a couple of plastic fans from Argos if you’re lucky... :joy:

• Overkill, this is a Heatwave, not the norm lol.

• Oh, and welcome @JesseJamesA 👍

• The problem is our country isn't designed for heat in any way, the houses are insulated specifically to ensure any heat that goes in, stays in, so they are getting hotter and hotter, inside, some of our roads cant even be driven on because they have melted (not even kidding)
    Where i live the binmen (garbage men ? ) are refusing to work, so we have six weeks of rubbish outside every home, consequently leaving your house is now a sprint for cover from the aerial assault from gulls/bees or the ground assault from rats.

Hot weather is much much less an issue if you have the relevant infrastructure like you guys, we dont.

• @5pinlink how comes the binmen are refusing to work. Is it the same thing that was going on in Brum?

• They couldn't get drivers at first, then tjey plain just said we are too busy, now the council have said Tor2 wont be getting their contract renewed, and basically now Tor2 are just sulking, like making it worse will make everybody want their contract renewed or something.
    The binmen are all arrogant scumbags, throwing rubbish across the streets and stuff, then driving over it and dragging it everywhere, its just ridiculous.

• edited July 2018

Reminds me of the beginning to this old song...

Or my preferred version:

• @5pinlink said:
    They couldn't get drivers at first, then tjey plain just said we are too busy, now the council have said Tor2 wont be getting their contract renewed, and basically now Tor2 are just sulking, like making it worse will make everybody want their contract renewed or something.
    The binmen are all arrogant scumbags, throwing rubbish across the streets and stuff, then driving over it and dragging it everywhere, its just ridiculous.

That’s incredible. I was under the impression that binmen got paid quite well and with benefits etc thi might have that wrong. In Birmingham I think a group of local seiks set up groups to collect the trash themselves as there were rat infestations. The rubbish was literally piled metres high in places.

• edited July 2018

They are one of the highest paid jobs in the area, but they only hire arrogant idiots lol.