Session is corrupt, cannot open

Does anybody know how to recover when BM3 sessions are corrupt. I was working on a real BOP!

Comments

• Wow! In 12 months of constant use I've never had a corrupt session before.

Can you remember anything about what you changed last time it was working that may have caused it to become corrupted? (sorry, this is not much help I realise)

One piece of advice I always try to follow is save versions of my track after significant milestones, or changes in direction. For example:

• My new track v1
    • My new track v2
    • My new track v2 (alt drums)
    • My new track v3

The idea is that if ever one of these did get corrupted, I still have something to fall back on.

Hope you're able to restore the file somehow - it might be worth emailing to Intua so they can look inside and possibly fix it?

• Hey @Martyreasoner !

This can happen if something goes wrong while the session is being saved. Could be a lack of space on your device or BM3 crashed during the operation.

Try navigating in the Unsaved Session directory, and check what is the content of the directory labelled after the date. You might find a valid session in there. Also, you will be able to see the actual size of corrupt file. If it's 0 bytes, then your work got lost :-(

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

• When this happened to me I restarted the iPad and it worked. Try that maybe

• Thanks for the tips everyone. Unfortunately no luck recovering the project. :'(

• @Martyreasoner said:
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Unfortunately no luck recovering the project. :'(

Did you try opening a new session so you get into b3. Then once in, open the corrupt session from there. Don’t know why but this has worked for me too.

• @groovey said:

@Martyreasoner said:
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Unfortunately no luck recovering the project. :'(

Did you try opening a new session so you get into b3. Then once in, open the corrupt session from there. Don’t know why but this has worked for me too.

Yeah, tried that. No dice. The save file is only 4kb, so I think the data is toast. I've moved on from this project now, but I will use these tips on the future. Thanks all.

• edited August 2018

Split the non bug unsaved session corruption issues to its own thread ;)

https://intua.net/forums/discussion/6936/why-unsaved-files-can-corrupt-and-other-autosave-stuff#latest

• You know what, i may have found some insight on this, i can create corrupt sessions at will, this doesnt retro actively help you recover sessions, but it may help @mathieugarcia
    going forward trying to fix the issue.

I was recording a video on good housekeeping for session files and was using the built in screen recording, very early in the video i have to save and bam, every single time, B3 hangs, corrupt session and crash.

Turns out that if you have external audio going (in this case, mic recording of the screen capture) while it is also supported internally by B3 (mic turned on for B3 in IOS settings) you are entering a world of pain.

Im thinking any external apps like IAA etc could be causing this if they are set to use microphone too, possibly even AU too.

I think it jeeds some @ronji style investigation and maybe its own thread.

• Actually even with mic turned off it crashes and corrupts, seems any external audio is killing B3 entirely :(