Recordinging line level/headphone signals from other devices?

edited August 2018 in General

Hey community! So I've been meaning to ask this. Are there audio drawbacks in sending the line out / headphone signal of let's say another iPhone through an audio interface to a BM3 sampler or audio track? I've done this before iAA/AU because the sound palette out there can be much more expansive. I just haven't ever seen a thread on the topic of capturing sounds from other sources.

Comments

• This might be of interest? :)

• @DeanDaughters Much thanks Dean! This is exactly what Ive done for years I just didn't know how often others did this. I do have somewhat of an alternative question. Is there a OPTICAL SPDIF to digital phono adapter anyone has used to capture that signal source (like a TV)? I have the Scarlett 6i6 but my TV has the optical out (laser looking type red light) and the 6i6 uses the RCA style but SPDIF plug. What's the difference?

• edited August 2018

OPTICAL is the shizzle!
    I used to use this kind of connection between minidisc recorder and CD-Burner - Yeah!

It is a better quality connection than analog imho, but I haven't used this type of connection in a long time, not sure about an adapter to get it back into analog signal, I think that might defeat the purpose if the other side of the connection is not also optical. Not sure on this... 🤓 :)

• @DeanDaughters said:
    OPTICAL is the shizzle!
    I used to use this kind of connection between minidisc recorder and CD-Burner - Yeah!

It is a better quality connection than analog imho, but I haven't used this type of connection in a long time, not sure about an adapter to get it back into analog signal, I think that might defeat the purpose if the other side of the connection is not also optical. Not sure on this... 🤓 :)

Well im trying to use all signal inputs on the 6i6 SPDIF is digital but with the traditional plug. I think the wiring itself of the cable would be the only difference. IDK. I want to sample randomly anything and at anytime what comes off of my source. Im playing instruments to video signals that I want to granularize and send the signal to a PA and BM3 simultaneously. Sorry if this sounds strange. I guess I could capture the room and the PA but lots of background activity at home. Don't have space for a working studio. Sometimes I go drive and park to some isolated spot and do work there. Studio monitors and all. Lol.

• I have this but I am uncertain how it might be used. Anybody have an idea or explanation? There is no manual.

• That adapter in your hand looks like it should work! It would just take a standard optical cable :)
    So if you have an optical (or coaxial) output on your tv, you should be good to go with turning that signal into RCA using that. Get those inputs utilized - Woot! :)

• @DeanDaughters said:
    That adapter in your hand looks like it should work! It would just take a standard optical cable :)
    So if you have an optical (or coaxial) output on your tv, you should be good to go with turning that signal into RCA using that. Get those inputs utilized - Woot! :)

Well, ultimately im already using the line ins on the Scarlett 6i6 so I may have to buy an adapter to keep everything plugged in and ready for capture. I know I could send my Macs audio out from one interface to the other with almost no latency. I really want this update to just release. Fixes the 96khz issue with these interfaces on iOS. I kind of made a boo boo in my book by going with an audio interface that requires a power supply. Limits my backpacking and field recordings tremendously and my 2i2 1st gen was fried by an older iPad. It means im tethered to my vehicle and inverter and long cabling and burned gasoline. :(

• Uh, oh - sorry to hear about the loss of the 2i2 ! I've had the original model for what seems like ever now... Love that red somehow... (?) lol