Hold down pad and resample whatever is playing at the time (sync'd to next quantum).

Somebody on the audiobus forum mentioned they’d like to see the ability to “Hold down pad and resample whatever is playing at the time (sync'd to next quantum) in BM3.” I almost wish I didn’t read that because I can’t get it out of my head how cool that would be.

Comments

• edited October 2018

So it would be like a special "hold to record output onto this pad" mode?

Yes.. but record what?

• Bank audio only?
    • Master output?
    • ...with insert effects baked in?
    • ...with aux effects baked in?

Too many variables I think

• It's funny, I was thinking about this yesterday. This is my workflow with the PO-33 & 35. The immediacy it affords can lead to some awesome spontaneity!

• edited October 2018

The problem with this idea is working out exactly what happens with the audio chain (especially the effects)

If the effects are included in the recording, (reverb for example), then potentially that same reverb will get re-applied when you play back your new sample, leading to a double-reverb effect

• @tk32 said:
    So it would be like a special "hold to record output onto this pad" mode?

Yes.. but record what?

• Bank audio only?
    • Master output?
    • ...with insert effects baked in?
    • ...with aux effects baked in?

Too many variables I think

Yah the default behavior would need its own settings screen.

• Ya , somewhere in setting to configure a default for this would be a paradigm shifter.

• edited October 2018

@funk said:
    Ya , somewhere in setting to configure a default for this would be a paradigm shifter.

Don't you mean a G..G..G... GAMECHANGER!!

Personally I wouldn't find it that useful - and it's already possible to bounce to pads in a more controlled way using the internal recording feature.

I can see the appeal for those who like to jam in a live/looping iterative style... it's just not really for me.

• Heheh. Yea I find my best ideas come when I’m just jamming and iterating. Definitely other things and fixes should come first though.

• edited October 2018

I dont think this needs any preferences at all, master record, straight to an empty pad, perfect.
    What preferences would there need to be ?

This is just one of a number of record/resample/freeze options that B3 is missing and needs desperately.

• I agree with @5pinlink. If you want no FX, mute the aux or the effect, whatever you hear is what gets sampled. You could sample just an aux output if you solo it first.

• Agreed, no need for channel/FX settings, just record what you hear.
    A setting for sync quantum as in AUM would be handy. If off, then start and stop the recording immediately when the pad is tapped. If set to 1 bar, then begin the recording when the next bar begins, and same with stop. Easy perfect loop creation.

• Love these developers terms "Sync Quantum" hahaha, i was expecting it to ask Ziggy lol

• @mathieugarcia this is a super good suggestion

• I briefly recall mentioning something similar to this during the early betas :)

If was more directed towards 'live sampling'. Ie. put the pads in sampling mode and hold down a pad to record incoming audio to it until the pad is released.

So yeah, this gets a BIG +1 one from me too!