The Bro - Dark Alley (heavy dubstep)

Hey guys check this out. Thoughts welcome as always. Thanks. ☺

Listen to The Bro - Dark Alley (1st cut) by The Bro #np on #SoundCloud

Comments

• edited October 2018

I wouldn't even call this dubstep, certainly not heavy dubstep, the drums are very weak for heavy dubstep, there is no snap to the snare, and the kick is very muddy and the drum patterns themselves are a little too busy too.
    The low subs underneath are a bit non existent, most dubstep especially heavier stuff like brostep has its bass firmly driven by the mids and very little sub, the sub on this has next to no mids at all and very little bass above the subsonic frequencies, then it has the high synth line you have put in to fill the space, which is over powering nearly everything else in the mix.
    On a phone/laptop/tablet all you can hear is the high synth line and beat, so you may need to preview your mixes on different devices if you are making genres that are not so easy to transfer like dubstep or brostep.
    The arrangement itself is very weak too, there are no change ups or really much differences at all that would differentiate this from a DJ throwing some loops together, so nothing to entice a DJ to play it, which would be the goal of any dance genre music.

Probably the worst thing you have posted here to be honest, it is really starting to show that you are not picking a genre or finding your niche and progressing on, this is very stale compared to your usual work.

• edited October 2018

Not your best work, i'm afraid. The high synth is too loud, too repetitive, and starts to get annoying. The drums lack bite and aggression. The rhythm has no variation.

It's a bit like a loop from an old John Carpenter soundtrack piece with some simple beats thrown over, and it doesn't really go anywhere.

Sorry to be harsh - but I know you're capable of better (i've heard it!)

• @tk32 said:
    Not your best work, i'm afraid. The high synth is too loud, too repetitive, and starts to get annoying. The drums lack bite and aggression. The rhythm has no variation.

It's a bit like a loop from an old John Carpenter soundtrack piece with some simple beats thrown over, and it doesn't really go anywhere.

Sorry to be harsh - but I know you're capable of better (i've heard it!)

Thanks for your thoughts mate - that's all I'm after. Just a first cut. I know its repetitive but I struggle to think of ways to change the beat etc. I'll keep working on it though. Cheers. :smile:

• edited October 2018

I also get the feeling you're a little stuck in a rut, musically.

My advice to try going out of your comfort zone and try making something unexpected and completely different.

The best way to do this, in my opinion, would be the join our current Electro Swing monthly battle. Check out the stickied post on the forum for more details.

Sometimes trying to make music you wouldn't normally make ends up making you better at the music you do want to make... if that makes any sense

• I really need to look in to getting this invisible suit to the market hahaha.

• @5pinlink said:
    I really need to look in to getting this invisible suit to the market hahaha.

:D

• edited October 2018

Sorry @5pinlink, it's not your cloaking device – it's this thing called charisma

Some of us have it; others get ignored.

• LOVE YOU 5 PIN! #nohomo (do kids still say that?)

• edited October 2018

...and this from the guy who moved to SF!

You dinosaur.

Didn't Trump just say something similar when talking about his relationship with the Saudis :/

• edited October 2018

nohomo for everyone

• Y'alls is children :p

• Thanks for being the mature one @XanderJames

• Damn that dude needs to eat more fruit and veg, his fingers are starting to club lol

• I'm a vegetarian! I just have gross hands. :(

• I was joking ;)

• edited October 2018

Are we off the nohomo stuff?

• you are fresher so i'll rate this dubstep as a good in beginning but had to try hard to improve things and come out of your comfort zone.