Record 'Monitor' No sound

Hi. I've been recording a synth through an alesis iodock no problem til today. It records the sounds fine but I can't hear it as soon as recording begins. Even though the monitor is active. So I can't hear what I'm playing and recording :(

Tagged:

Comments

• There was a thread on this, but vincent closed it, monitoring got changed in the latest version, and that is all im allowed to say.

• @5pinlink said:
    There was a thread on this, but vincent closed it, monitoring got changed in the latest version, and that is all im allowed to say.

Well I was going to say thanks for your help but obviously not :) is it secret?

• No, no secret, monitoring got changed, and doesnt work as you have found, dont want to say anything else, so the thread doesnt get closed.

• edited December 2018

@vincent said: with the added value of behaving like any other DAW does. (from a closed thread)

Thanks Vincent for implementing the audio effects structure the same as BM2 and most all DAWs. I was wondering why there was a derivation in feature behavior between the apps, especially when the work around to record clean while hearing an effect is much more involved than it is to bounce effected audio to a new track. Both possibilities of implementing audio effects are okay, the way it is now and the way it was before, as long as I can decide which behavior I want. But the way it is working now is definitely the preferred way of the two.

However being able to monitor an audio signal while recording, while it is being effected or not, is essential. So I am hoping the current inability to do is just a mishap of the audio effects fix and is still planned to be addressed.

• Not sure where "most all DAWs" comes from, it certainly is not like this in most DAWs on the desktop ?

• Meaning every DAW on desktop or iOS I have ever used offers effects behavior as is now implemented in BM3, making how it was previously handled on BM3 the exception to my experience.

• At least Logic Pro X allows me to 'monitor' the input signal thru the FX-Chain while recording the 'dry' signal.
    Once recording is done the track gets played back thru the effects.

That is the behaviour I expect from w 'DAW'. Optional extras could be to 'record wet' and only have the FX-Chain enabled during recording. Once recording is does the FX-Chain could be suspended to save CPU.

But then again BM3 is not my 'child' and if the 'parents' argue about the up-bringing I prefer to stay away...

• edited December 2018

That is not the behaviour i expect from an insert at all, it is the behaviour i expect from a monitor effect for sure.
    So just to be clear, Logic Pro does not have the ability to have inserts on inputs ?
    That is horrific, I would have expected Logic Pro to have insert and/or monitor effects on inputs, just like Reaper/Pro Tools/Tracktion/Cakewalk/Studio One etc etc.

• I've found no way to record a 'wet' signal in Logic Pro X. It could be a 'user error' too...

• I'm actually shocked at that!!
    Most DAWs offer the option to switch (as i suggested it should have been implemented here) or in the case of Reaper (as usual) you get a much more flexible system with separate monitor effects but also the ability to switch inserts too.

I'm glad i never invested in Logic!

• Yes you can do that in Logic.

• So im confused, you said every DAW you ever used does it how it is in B3 now, but you are saying Logic does it the other way, or it's optional in Logic (Sorry I haven't used Logic since it was called Notator)

• Yep. Very confused by this thread. 🤔

• @5pinlink said:
    So im confused, you said every DAW you ever used does it how it is in B3 now,

or it's optional in Logic (Sorry I haven't used Logic since it was called Notator)

Yes to both of these.

I don't usually want to print effects on incoming audio so always use effects on channels with behavior as BM3 now uses, and which has been offered on every DAW I have used prior to working on the previous version of BM3. My original post was just to positively say that I like this change in BM3, but if it was at the expense of no monitoring while recording, (as is imitated in another closed thread) whether intentional or not, that hopefully this will be addressed. Both effects behaviors as options would be good, but monitoring is essential.

• 100% agree, monitoring is super important, optional effects record is ideal.

• @5pinlink Iam a zillion percent confused by the thread Are we saying there is no record monitoring at all with 3.0.12? If so can I monitor via an external soundcard? Help

• Yes monitoring doesnt work in 3.0.12.
    You can use an audio interfaces monitoring if it supports it yes.

• edited December 2018

I use an external sound card which allows for hardware monitoring with no latency (essentially sending input directly to outs, instead of relying on software monitoring). Lots of external sound cards have this feature, DM me if you want to know which one I use.

Obviously this doesn't mean that Intua shouldn't get their shit together with regards to this issue, but it's a good workaround.

• Hey everyone,

We're aware of the issue and we will offer a proper option to switch between these two monitoring behaviors.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Cheers !
    Mathieu.

• edited December 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Yes monitoring doesnt work in 3.0.12.
    You can use an audio interfaces monitoring if it supports it yes.

Ok cheers I was panicking About to purchase a Zoom interface in few days

• edited December 2018

@blueveek said:
    I use an external sound card which allows for hardware monitoring with no latency (essentially sending input directly to outs, instead of relying on software monitoring). Lots of external sound cards have this feature, DM me if you want to know which one I use.

Obviously this doesn't mean that Intua shouldn't get their shit together with regards to this issue, but it's a good workaround.

Cheers I have an external interface not connected to Bm3 3.0.12 as yet Will check alls ok this evening

• For the records, monitoring while recording it's super important for me as well, almost a no-go considering my workflow. Please give this fix a high priority if possible..

• edited December 2018

Thanks @number37

You're a very helpful dude, you should drop by our Discord channel some time and say "Hi"

The same invitation goes to anyone else who is reading this. :)

• Hi,
    Not to be more confusing, but normal monitor behaviour in reaper is to monitoir w fx but not print.
    To print fx in reaper you have to record the output of the track. Its a setting on the record button.
    Glad to hear its going to be sorted in bm3.

• edited December 2018

@FlowingRobes said:
    Hi,
    Not to be more confusing, but normal monitor behaviour in reaper is to monitoir w fx but not print.
    To print fx in reaper you have to record the output of the track. Its a setting on the record button.

This is also my preferred behavior, and what I’m used to from working with all other DAWs I can remember.

But I also don’t mind working the way I described above. It also makes “printing” the FX easy too. Just change the audio source of the FX track to the track you recorded into, arm the FX track, and record. Lastly, disable the FX so they’re not doubled up. Kind of a poor man’s freeze track. ;)

• edited December 2018

@FlowingRobes said:
    Hi,

Well if we are going to be confusing :)
    Strictly speaking you aren't correct, Reaper actually has "Track Inserts" which like you say, and i mentioned earlier in the thread, are a recordable option, but it also has "Input Inserts" (Input FX) which are inserts on the input and are always recorded.

It is common to lightly compress a vocalist in case of peaks (Input Insert) and also add a reverb to be monitored but removed later, to give the vocalist a bit more confidence in their performance (Track Insert)
    Again, this is why i keep saying we need both, this is all common practices.