Timestretch audio tracks Is this possible without using the sampler timestrecth functions

Auto time stretch audio dragged from browser into an audio track - good for acapella remixing - audio auto locks to project tempo - not sure if already in bm3.

Comments

• Might have been you i made this for on Facebook, but here is the link again just in case :)

• Great little video! Love ya @5pinlink!

😎

• edited December 2018

Link removed, shouldn't have posted it, sorry.

• @5pinlink Why is that video titled "warp markers"?

• Clickbait

• edited December 2018

I'm assuming that if the backing track is one long WAV file that is triggered with live stretch enabled, and the tempo is gradually slowed, then it stays in sync with the looping amen pattern.

But since he doesn't explain anything (!) it's just a guess

• Actually we have essentially always had warp markers, all a warp marker does is define breakpoints in a single audio file and allow different stretch values between two of those breakpoints.

So, imagine a song, recorded in the 60s (yes i went out of my way to find one extremely sloppy) where every two bars it changes tempo from between 3-10 BPM (that is exactly what the snow miser song does)
    It's all synced perfectly, and did nobody even notice how well the timestretch held up over 100BPM LOL, I think everybody is completely desensitised to anything good nowadays.

This took roughly the same amount of time to do in Beatmaker as it did to do it in Reaper.

• edited December 2018

Oh and it wasn't clickbait either, I have no advertising or revenue generation on my videos either, this was a fore runner to a tutorial on doing warping for mashups, but it doesn't seem anybody else does mash ups, so no point doing the video lol.

Removed the video so i dont have to ban myself for spamming hahaha.

• @5pinlink said:
    Actually we have essentially always had warp markers, all a warp marker does is define breakpoints in a single audio file and allow different stretch values between two of those breakpoints.

So, imagine a song, recorded in the 60s (yes i went out of my way to find one extremely sloppy) where every two bars it changes tempo from between 3-10 BPM (that is exactly what the snow miser song does)
    It's all synced perfectly, and did nobody even notice how well the timestretch held up over 100BPM LOL, I think everybody is completely desensitised to anything good nowadays.

This took roughly the same amount of time to do in Beatmaker as it did to do it in Reaper.

This sounds like we’re one step away from having automated tempo changes which would be very nice indeed.

• No its kind of the complete opposite, making varying tempo audio stay in sync with fixed tempo.
    I shouldn't have posted it.

• edited December 2018

My clickbait comment was a joke, you old Snow Miser.

Bring the video back, I'm genuinely interested.

So did you soft-slice the downbeat for each bar in the song?

How did you set the duration/scaling for such a long WAV... or did you hard-slice each bar to its own pad?

My theory is that it wouldn't have sounded so smooth if you were changing the tempo a bit faster, or jumping straight from one BPM to another.

• :| he took it down.
    I've had a sample which had different tempos at various parts of the track. I used slice figure out the tempo for each section and used high performance to sync to one tempo. I was able to change The track tempo and it still sounded pretty good

• @tk32 said:
    My theory is that it wouldn't have sounded so smooth if you were changing the tempo a bit faster, or jumping straight from one BPM to another.

I thought the 80 BPM jump at the end, staying perfectly in sync covered that, probably just me not being able to hear stuff out of sync.

• Hmm, I think I need to watch it again then....

Did you re-post it yet? :p

• Its still on youtube.

• @5pinlink said:
    No its kind of the complete opposite, making varying tempo audio stay in sync with fixed tempo.
    I shouldn't have posted it.

Oh right. How was that achieved? Was it one long sample or chopped ? This is really informative stuff

• I did a tutorial, but it come in way over twenty minutes, I doubt anybody wants to watch anything that long lol.

• I'd watch it.

• @tk32 said:
    I'd watch it.

+1.

The thread already made me try out live stretching a sliced drum loop while letting the bpm drop like that. Good quality! But I prob need some slicing tricks to achieve the same with a less obvious sample.

• @5pinlink said:
    I did a tutorial, but it come in way over twenty minutes, I doubt anybody wants to watch anything that long lol.

Would defo watch especially as your tuts are usually to the point which makes them good to watch rather than some of the many long winded ones out there.

On another note am struggling a bit with au fx automation again, I forgot it seems to still be a bit pokey. And the slightly confusing way that you have to record into pattern midi parts as opposed to to the timeline. And then the midi data doesn’t seem to show up after you’ve done it. Really hoping 3.1 nails all this. Another area where b3 needs to up the ante

• We badly need automation items, I have been saying this since day one.
    I'm going to break the video down in to parts.

• @5pinlink said:
    We badly need automation items, I have been saying this since day one.
    I'm going to break the video down in to parts.

Wicked nice one.
    Re automation items. Totally. Can be really challenging without them right now. Am wondering if that’s why the mythical beast NS2 has stayed away from traditional AU automation and settled on mapping to macros for AUs and avoiding altogether for AUfx. Maybe it’s a complete ball ache to code.

• I think he just wanted to limit parameter lists lengths, its a mistake in my book.

• @5pinlink said:
    I think he just wanted to limit parameter lists lengths, its a mistake in my book.

I agree, automation items and automation lanes are orthogonal features, but the decision to limit the number of parameter list lengths shouldn't architecturally restrict either one's functionality.