Sample editor transient warping is this possible ?

Is there any way of copying and pasting sections of audio in the sample editor, without shifting the rest of the audio in the sample along. Ie so that it overlays the audio as opposed to shifting and offsetting it, so that the overall sample length remains the same.

I’m looking for a way of moving individual drum transients in a drum loop around.

Presently when I do it, everything after the pasting of the audio section get shifted along.

Comments

• edited December 2018

I know this doesn’t answer your question exactly, but have you considered slicing the sample instead? You can slice it up by transients, then select to save to pads, and turn create pattern on. Voila, you have a sample that plays back in perfect time even at different tempos. With auto-transient detect, this whole operation often takes only seconds. And you can mess with the slices in other patterns to make new beats.

This tends to work best with material with pretty well defined transients.

Auria Pro has the only editor on iOS that I know of that has transient warping.

• edited December 2018

Is there a way to do what you want in the sample editor... Unfortunately no

But using the suggestion @number37 started to describe above, you could...

1. slice up the transients
    2. create a pattern (so the timings are spot on)
    3. Rearrange the midi notes, or add new ones (you can even layer them so hats and snares hit simultaneously)
    4. Resample the new pattern back into an audio file (either by recording internally to an Audio track, or by exporting the loop)
  • @number37 @tk32 cheers yep I guess I need to go down the transient slice route more. My original thought process was more for ‘sound designing’ though than anything else. I think you can do the audio section copy and pasting I was mentioning in NS2, which I thought was quite an interesting way of quickly crafting new sounds right from within the sample editor. And it saves having to use up a whole bank preset in slicing as opposed to just one sample on one pad. All good though

• This is always better done by slicing with drum hits, it preserves the attack transient of each hit, warping does not, but maybe you are after the slewed effect, can you explain a little what you are trying to achieve, I may have a workaround.

• edited December 2018

@5pinlink said:
    This is always better done by slicing with drum hits, it preserves the attack transient of each hit, warping does not, but maybe you are after the slewed effect, can you explain a little what you are trying to achieve, I may have a workaround.

Cheers. It was more for quick sound design. Maybe swapping different snares around. Or moving interesting reverb tails around. Or any other interesting sonic sections. More of a kind of crazy professor mashing up the sample directly within the sample editor without having to slice and then use midi as a way of reassembling. I think NS2 does it and it seemed like it could open up some other creative possibilities. Particularly with not having to use a whole sound bank to slice the sample up. But it’s all good. Doing it this way is cool.

• You can slice to a single pad ;)
    Also note that a great way to do this is to slice to samples, then save out all those samples to your session directory, then use an audio track to add them in as and when needed, remember to name the slices well, that way you can browse them super quick and throw them in to an audio track to replace other stuff.
    If you are using this technique to mess with reverb tails and stuff too, remember to reverse stuff, then reverb it, then render, then reverse it back and cut off the reverb tail at the start and save it out, so you can get your Prodigy style scopps and stuff too.

But yes we need a more robust copy/paste and definitely duplicate ala Maschine in the sample editor, along with DC removal and a few other things too at some point.

• @5pinlink totally forgot about slice to pad as apposed to bank. Some nice ideas there. Thanks

• @5pinlink said:
    This is always better done by slicing with drum hits, it preserves the attack transient of each hit, warping does not... .. . True. But in traditional hip hop sampling which I do generally most clips are captured without percussions, just melody, a vocal here and there and sometimes a bass if its its not too imposing for the rest of the track to be made

• @5pinlink said:
    If you are using this technique to mess with reverb tails and stuff too, remember to reverse stuff, then reverb it, then render, then reverse it back and cut off the reverb tail at the start and save it out, so you can get your Prodigy style scopps and stuff too.

NICE

• @5pinlink said:

Is that to help or to show disdain of the technique with a little hidden snobbery?

• edited December 2018

@Thumpee said:
    True. But in traditional hip hop sampling which I do generally most clips are captured without percussions, just melody, a vocal here and there and sometimes a bass if its its not too imposing for the rest of the track to be made.

And ?
    This has nothing at all to do with drum transients, which was the question asked by the OP, so why jump in and try and add a "but"
    If you have a question then ask it, stop jumping in to threads just to be obtuse.

@Thumpee said:

@5pinlink said:

Is that to help or to show disdain of the technique with a little hidden snobbery?

Oh wait, look you did it again.

I hide nothing, If i am a snob about something I state it quite clearly, as for whatever that nonsense is that you are suggesting, I was just posting a technique about reverb tails, something again the OP mentioned.
    Stop being silly.