Which monitors and interface should I buy?

Whats up bros, so im a beginner producer and i want to buy monitors and interface to mix my beats, rigth now im mixing with an old pair of beats by dre i bougth a long time ago.

I dont really have a lot of money to spend, so i would say that all i can spend is around 150 dollars.

Or should i buy a pair of headphones?

These are my options

Micca PB42X ($110)
Behringer U-Phoria UM 2 Audiophile 2x2 ($39.99)

Comments

• edited January 2019

If you're considering the ridiculously bad Behringer U-Phoria, but have 150$ budget, I'd strongly recommend Focusrite Scarlett Solo (100$), or the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (150$) instead.

• @blueveek said:
    If you're considering the ridiculously bad Behringer U-Phoria, but have 150$ budget, I'd strongly recommend Focusrite Scarlett Solo (100$), or the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (150$) instead.

The problem is that I need a pair of monitors too (Micca PB42X) are monitors.

• Ah, I misread you then.

• @blueveek said:
    Ah, I misread you then.

np dude, or can i use the monitors without the interface?

• edited January 2019

sorry even the lowest spec monitors I was going to suggest were 380 dollars!

• Go second hand on ebay, maximise your $150, you will easily get some powered monitors and an interface for that.

• I would recommend buying a good quality set of headphones. Don't stress the interface at this moment since you are beginning. The most important things that can help you be successful are those two things on the side of your head and your ingenuity/creativity. Don't turn into a gear-whore like many of us... Keep It Simple 4 Success.

• edited January 2019

To be fair, keeping it simple is an interface and monitors, headphones only is super minimal (but great, i agree) if you have the space though, your productions will always benefit from full headroom (all Apple devices have a built in, no config clipper/limiter, it cant be turned off) and monitoring.

• edited January 2019

I have Yamaha HS7 for monitors and Beyerdynamic DT-880’s and my trusty Sony MDR-v900’s for headphones, but honestly everything I do lately is on my $30 apple iPhone headphones.

FYI, I do NOT recommend the 880’s...their high end is so shrill.

• I just use a pair of rubbish Sony in ears for everything lol. Actually they're pretty good but I need something small when I'm out and about and they suit me just fine.

• @drez said:
    I have Yamaha HS7 for monitors and Beyerdynamic DT-880’s and my trusty Sony MDR-v900’s for headphones, but honestly everything I do lately is on my $30 apple iPhone headphones.

Actually it was the HS7 I was gonna recommend but they cost more than I expected.

• I use the Yamahas myself but they can be fatiguing, I’m currently on the older HS50 though, maybe that changed ?

• @winconway said:
    I use the Yamahas myself but they can be fatiguing, I’m currently on the older HS50 though, maybe that changed ?

Yeah, the HS7 can be as well for sure.

I just listen to so much music on headphones any more, hearing them on actual monitors is difficult for me to get a decent mix. More and more I’m just looking at frequencies and go that route. My mixes are not great anyway :D . That said, I wish BM3 had the real-time spectrum on their EQ. Instead I started using Fabfilter Pro-Q2 and it is amazing for work! Because I don’t hear things as well as I used to, but I can see the differences in the freq’s I change in Q2. It’s a crutch for me but IMO worth the money.

I guess my opinion to the OP:

Headphones. Get a decent pair of cans and do a lot of listening and research on learning how to EQ and you will be better off in the long run. Understanding how to make this sound brighter or this sound thinner or phat, dawg is most important, IMO. How do I EQ the drums? How do I leverage sidechain to carve some space out? Would some automation on some of the EQ help here and there?

I think knowing how to do those things are best heard on headphones when you are learning. The changes are more apparent for me.

• @theinvisibleman said:

@drez said:

Actually it was the HS7 I was gonna recommend but they cost more than I expected.

I’ve listen to the HS5’s as well, but just not full enough sound for me to purchase. They would do, though! They are $200ish new, but could probably pickup second hand for cheaper.

• edited January 2019

@winconway said:
    I use the Yamahas myself but they can be fatiguing, I’m currently on the older HS50 though, maybe that changed ?

They are sharp sounding when I heard them so a bit of eq is needed, still awesome for the price range, funny actually because most of Yamaha instruments are on the bright side too.

• Im really grateful with you all, what do you think about these two?

Rockville apm5 powered monitors 114.00

Behringer umc22. 49.00

As someone said in a comment, im thinking about a pair of headphones

• Also, is it that bad that i mix with beats? lets assume that i cant buy the monitors (lets hope i do ), should i mix in my in ear headphones?

• I've read good things about those Micca PB42X's .. i think you should stick with those.

As for an interface i'd bump it up to the Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD if you need MIDI in/out and if you don't need MIDI perhaps the Steinberg UR12 or the Audient ID4.
    Also if you're cool going used I'd go that route ...Reverb has these used with free shipping:
    Audient ID4 : $160
    Behringer UMC204HD : $95
    Steinberg UR12 : $60

And no you definitely do not want to mix with Beats headphones. They really color the sound. Getting a pair of monitors and an interface is a real step up that'll suit your mixes and you'll come to appreciate the purchase. Plus it should last you a long long time and you can always upgrade piece by piece when you get the chance. If you're set on headphones the Sony MDR7506's are a good pair of mixing headphones for 100 bux.

• edited January 2019

Regarding headphones:

I've got quite a collection of mid-range headphones. I use closed back headphones the most because I am often in public when using BeatMaker 3 (eg on the train). My current favourites in the closed-back category are:

• Sony MDR 7510 (updated version of the 7506, recommended by @BitterGums )
    • BeyerDynamic DT 250
    • Audio Technica ATH M50X (note - these are not the perfect headphone many claim)
    • Brainwavz HM5

If I was mixing a track at home, I'd probably switch to a semi-open or open type headphone, but because I use the closed-backs so often, I still feel most familiar and comfortable using those instead.

If you want a cheap closed-back pair that get you 80% of the way there I recommend the following:

• Monoprice DJ Pro Headphones ($30-40)
    • Superlux closed-back range - such as the 681EVO ($30-40)

Superlux also do an awesome cheap semi-open model (668B) but these are massive and only good for using at home.

• If its headphones...
    7506 for mixing.
    Superlux (any) for moving around working and not worrying.
    HD25 for cueing if playing live.

• @winconway said:
    If its headphones...
    7506 for mixing.

@winconway said:
    If its headphones...
    7506 for mixing.

What do you mean by moving around working and not worrying ?

• Superlux are high quality and cheap as chips, throw them in your bag, dont care.
    7506/HD25 you scratch them, stuff gets real lol.

• @winconway said:
    Superlux are high quality and cheap as chips, throw them in your bag, dont care.
    7506/HD25 you scratch them, stuff gets real lol.

Ah gotcha

• I'm considering all the options you are giving to me.

As I said there is a big chance that i run out of money, and the only pair of headphones i have are some old beats mixr, should i mix with the apple in ear headphones?

• @juanseph said:
    I'm considering all the options you are giving to me.

As I said there is a big chance that i run out of money, and the only pair of headphones i have are some old beats mixr, should i mix with the apple in ear headphones?

No

• I heard that the closed headphones arent the best for mixing, what do you think about it? Superlux HD668B looks pretty nice (semi open) and the other ones Sony MDR7506 (closed) too.

• @BitterGums said:
    I've read good things about those Micca PB42X's .. i think you should stick with those.

As for an interface i'd bump it up to the Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD if you need MIDI in/out and if you don't need MIDI perhaps the Steinberg UR12 or the Audient ID4.
    Also if you're cool going used I'd go that route ...Reverb has these used with free shipping:
    Audient ID4 : $160
    Behringer UMC204HD : $95
    Steinberg UR12 : $60

And no you definitely do not want to mix with Beats headphones. They really color the sound. Getting a pair of monitors and an interface is a real step up that'll suit your mixes and you'll come to appreciate the purchase. Plus it should last you a long long time and you can always upgrade piece by piece when you get the chance. If you're set on headphones the Sony MDR7506's are a good pair of mixing headphones for 100 bux.

So if I buy the UR12 I cant use a MIDI controller?

• edited January 2019

My advice....

For now, just make music with the headphones you have.

There are better things to spend your limited money on when first starting.