Zoom in Zoom Out Function

Is this the design choice for how this is to function?

I keep thinking it will zoom in if I keep hitting the + , it doesn’t.

I think it I keep imagining it will let me quickly zoom in to see detail, is this not how it was designed and intended?

Thanks

Comments

• At the moment, all zooming is done via pinch and stretch two-finger gestures

Which '+' button are you referring to?

• Yeah we need all zooms to work like the sample editor zoom, that was the last one i moaned non stop about and @mathieugarcia nailed it perfectly, so hopefully we can get that type of zoom in piano roll and arranger.

• @tk32 said:
    At the moment, all zooming is done via pinch and stretch two-finger gestures

Which '+' button are you referring to?

The + inside the magnifying glass.

• edited January 2019

It works that way in the sample editor but you're talking about the magnifying glass with the (-) and (+) in them...

Not really a zoom function so much as a they are a 'Fit to View' function.

In the Song editor pressing (-) adjusts the window to fit everything that you've recorded into view; from the beginning of the 1st bar to the end of the last bar. The tool has a little more functionality with a pattern or multiple patterns selected. When a pattern is selected, pressing (-) will fit all recorded patterns into view in the window. Pressing (+) with a pattern selected will zoom in to fit just that pattern into the window. Pressing (+) with multiple patterns selected will zoom to fit only the selected patterns into view.

• In the song editor (-) & (+) only work horizontally. They won't adjust to fit any vertical pinch and zoom actions you've done in the track names on the left.

In the Pattern editor they work in much the same way but with a bit more precision and detail. Pressing (-) will adjust to fit all recorded notes into view, stretching horizontally edge to edge. Pressing (+) will adjust to fit all recorded notes into view, stretching vertically top to bottom. If a note or notes are selected (-) works as before and adjusts to fit all notes into view but (+) adjusts horizontally and vertically to a finer detail to fit the selected note or notes into view.

• In both views, the tool's functions are based on Grid settings. When set to a specific 'Bar' amount results are formatted to the value of that bar. Best results are achieved when Grid is set to 'Auto' or 'Free.

• The tool is especially helpful when a pattern is opened and few or none of the notes are readily visible. Instead of scrolling to locate, pressing either (-) or (+) will fit the notes back into view.

• Well, I suppose that’s a way to do it. I just went to check it and I have a 26 bar midi sequence on a track (the only thing on the timeline) and the zoom is literally worthless. While this may be a “paradigm shifting” concept it seems to defy basic functionality.

• If it were me, and I know it’s not, I would make zoom in and zoom out zoom in and zoom out incrementally as found in most similar situations. In this creative approach maybe try having zoom work traditionally when nothing is selected then to selections and then beyond selections on repeated pressing.

• Fit selection.
    Fit loop.
    Fit all.
    Zoom out.
    Zoom in.

They should all exist, anything else is neither creative or intuitive.
    Right now the piano roll zoom and arranger zoom are no use to me either.

• @winconway said:
    Fit selection.
    Fit loop.
    Fit all.
    Zoom out.
    Zoom in.

This would be great!

• @winconway said:
    Fit selection.
    Fit loop.
    Fit all.
    Zoom out.
    Zoom in.

The first 3 exist.. but yeh, no tool for zoom in /zoom out in the arranger /song mode.
    You can get there with pinch + zoom ... but it'd be nice to have the option to have the zooming 'locked' to horizontal movement / x-axis movement. Or like @ampapps said:

maybe try having zoom work traditionally when nothing is selected then to selections and then beyond selections on repeated pressing.

• edited January 2019

The first 3 dont exist.
    Fit selection, does not exist, select an item, it centres selection and zooms a little, this is not fit selection (biggest it can be while fitting on screen)

Fit loop does not exist at all.

Fit all is the - which to nearly everybody is counter intuitive to any other software they have used.

As for pinch zoom, it is designed terribly, when i am holding the ipad, i am in landscape and viewing left to right, to zoom left to right you would pinch left to right, unfortunately i am not a contortionist and pinching left to right involves twisting my hand to the right until my wrist hurts, or twisting it all the way to the left until my elbow is up in the air, far far from intuitive or even useful.
    Make the pinch zoom finger movement top to bottom (vertical), but locked to horizontal zoom as you say, and now zoom is pinched in the exact position my fingers fall on the screen and move.

Zoom in the piano roll and arranger is counter intuitive and awkward, no matter which way you do it.

• Fit selection works for me if i'm in 'Auto' or 'Free' on the grid, select a pattern, hit (+) mag. glass, fits the pattern to the screen, horizontally. in pattern mode the (+) fits the selection horizontally and vertically . generally works a little better there anyway.
    I agree pinch zoom gets nutso. though i will say it feels a little 'calmer' and less touchy than some apps that use it. was working in a piano editor of some other app and it was all over the place.. i'll have to remember what it was.
    not sure if you've seen that newest apple pencil but it has a little 'click' function thing where you naturally would hold it .. which was touted as being something for designers/visual artists to change a brush, or select different color etc. would be great to have something similar on a pencil/stylus ..sort of like a volume rocker. . that could be assigned to a (-) and (+) zoom function to work in tandem with pinch zoom.