Need copy&paste parts in song window also “extend pattern duration (with samples)

@mathieugarcia Probably been requested before so not demanding these features but they would really speed up workflow.
I imagine ..
1. Highlight several parts from same or different banks using the selector tool.
2. .Use the Copy button (if added) then Paste button (if added) to timeline locator choice .
Cheers

Comments

1. Can already be done if they are all clips/items, do you mean selection of sections of clips/items ?
    2. You can repeat and then just move right now, so shouldn't be too much of a hurdle to add a couple extra buttons repeat at cursor and duplicate at cursor, those would be a bit more flexible than copy and paste and fit with B3s current paradigm.

I would really like an edit cursor to be added once the arranger starts to advance a bit too.

• edited January 2019

@beatmakerstorm if I've understood your suggestion correctly, the way I would do this is...

1. Use the razor in the arranger to slice a neat vertical line down all the patterns at the point I want to copy from
    2. Switch to the select tool and drag-select all the newly created (sliced) patterns
    3. Move this vertical stack forward to wherever I want it on the timeline

Tip - slicing does not remove any notes from the original patterns, so you can easily go back and re-extend the sliced patterns to their original length (like a lizard regrowing is tail ;))

Hope this helps

• it's there. I do it quite often ... in almost the same way @tk32 & @winconway described

1. Use the razor in the arranger to slice a neat vertical line down all the patterns at the point I want to copy from
    2. Switch to the select tool and drag-select all the newly created (sliced) patterns
    3. Hit 'Duplicate'
    4. While it's still selected move this vertical stack to wherever I want it on the timeline
    5. Deselect

• You can sub in 'Repeat' where 'Duplicate' is but remember, when 'repeating' a pattern any changes you make to the notes in a pattern will also show up in it's 'repeat' pattern. Which can be a good thing ...but if you want to copy/ paste a pattern that isn't tied to another pattern use ' Duplicate'
  • Just to be clear, you dont have to drag select, so this does not have to be a vertical stack of patterns, you can multi select any number of patterns in any location in the arrangment by tapping them one by one, then repeat or duplicate and move.

• edited January 2019

@BitterGums glad I'm not the only one using this technique

Btw, slicing always results in a newly created pattern, therefore (in your example) it's unnecessary to hit duplicate in order to protect the integrity of the original pattern(s).

It probably helps to think of slicing as 'create a new pattern from here to the end of clip (and shorten length of the existing clip to avoid overlap)'

Pattern Vs Clips, for any less-experienced users reading this...

• Pattern: the container that stores your midi (and other) data. Patterns have a default duration, but will happily store data beyond this region.
    • Clip: an individual instance of a particular pattern on the song timeline - which can be shorter or longer than the pattern it represents.
  • right...i see, so after you've sliced and moved and theres a big hole you just do the 'lizard tail' thing and pull everything back. often times my patterns are all over the place a bit as far as lining up vertically ...odd measures, audio tracks, stuff purposely a little staggered on the beat, etc so sometimes i'm not slicing a straight line down but only slicing the tracks that don't have a measure break there so my 'hole' looks more like a puzzle piece than a box and it's easier to just duplicate, move, then select another set of patterns to close the hole.. if that makes sense. ha!

• still, good to know that slicing essentially makes a new pattern
  • @winconway said:
    1. Can already be done if they are all clips/items, do you mean selection of sections of clips/items ?
    2. You can repeat and then just move right now, so shouldn't be too much of a hurdle to add a couple extra buttons repeat at cursor and duplicate at cursor, those would be a bit more flexible than copy and paste and fit with B3s current paradigm.

I would really like an edit cursor to be added once the arranger starts to advance a bit too.

Yep repeat at cursor Good suggestion. Also yes I mean selection of sections of clips/items. I agree this more simple way than copy/paste.

• @tk32 said:
    @beatmakerstorm if I've understood your suggestion correctly, the way I would do this is...

3. Move this vertical stack forward to wherever I want it on the timeline

Tip - slicing does not remove any notes from the original patterns, so you can easily go back and re-extend the sliced patterns to their original length (like a lizard regrowing is tail ;))

Hope this helps

Cool and thanks for tip though its not as straightforward as @winconway has suggested which is more closer to copy/paste “at cursor”.

• @mathieugarcia @winconway @tk32 whats your thoughts on the “extend pattern(with samples) suggestion. I think its quicker than current Patterns/Merge in Song window .
    Can this be implemented?