How do I apply swing without it being flattened?

Does that make sense?

Comments

• Do you mean apply it at less than 100%?

Not possible at the moment, but my advice is to mix up some of the following:

1. Apply different quantise values to different notes in the pattern (by selecting different groupings of notes). A classic example of this is to quantise on-beat bassdrum and snare notes only, and leave everything else unquantised.
    2. Switch off grid-lock and apply quantise manually by hand (takes the longest, but is my favourite)
  • Yeah in BM2 you could apply swing and it worked it out in real time which I much preferred because I could work on fresh beats and not to have to reassemble things. Oh well I hope what's already in BM2 comes to BM3 in an update.

• Or just ask @blueveek to do a swing plugin that uses Reaper swing presets, cause there is a huge list of all the grooveboxes and drum machines for that lol.

• @winconway said:
    Or just ask @blueveek to do a swing plugin that uses Reaper swing presets, cause there is a huge list of all the grooveboxes and drum machines for that lol.

Spicy humanizer pack ;)

• @blueveek a plugin humaniser sounds awesome, but you might have an issue since it would need some form of look-ahead to function properly (is that possible with midi AUv3?).

Most simple swings work by delaying off-beat notes (standard syncopation), but others use groove patterns that mean some notes trigger earlier than originally programmed. This is why swing is usually a function of the host.

Rozeta X0X has good swing controls, but it's only dealing with internal data, so it doesn't have to respond to incoming notes in real time.

• edited January 2019

@tk32 said:

Lookahead is a relative thing. Delaying the whole world by some fixed amount of time is (relatively speaking) the same thing as looking ahead. Hosts (should) know how to do exactly that when a plugin reports its fixed processing time.

But some experimentation is needed.

@brambos what do you think about the above and this?

• @The_Bro re-reading your original request, I wonder if you were describing 'global swing' which is a setting that affects all midi patterns the same, without the need to modify the actual midi patterns in a permanent way (what you describe as 'flattening'?)

If so, you can find the global seeing setting in BM3 by tapping on the BPM value in the transport bar.

• edited January 2019

I think there were tests done at AB and B3 is one of the only hosts that does not support look ahead or PDC (plugin delay compensation)

It is easy to test if you have FA Maximizer, create two identical tracks, put maximizer on one of them.
    I will test some hosts right now.

Edit, as shown below only AUM/Garageband/Audiobus currently support PDC with AU, another reason AU is unusable in realtime for me.

• @fredantoncorvest said:
    To all host devs => If the latency compensation is not already implemented and you don't have Fac Maxima please contact me. I'll send you a free code for Fac Maxima (which delivers latency compensation information) and be glad to help with testing and support :)

• @tk32 said:
    @The_Bro re-reading your original request, I wonder if you were describing 'global swing' which is a setting that affects all midi patterns the same, without the need to modify the actual midi patterns in a permanent way (what you describe as 'flattening'?)

If so, you can find the global seeing setting in BM3 by tapping on the BPM value in the transport bar.

Thanks tk32. No I was referring to swing on a pattern not Global Swing which I know about. :smile: