What is the point of a chord mode that has to stick to one type of chord?

JDBJDB
edited February 2019 in General

I don’t understand bm3s approach to chord mode. it doesn’t record the chords as midi, it records one midi note and then puts that through whatever chord type you have selected and you can only use one. Where is the logic in that? Is there any reasoning for this?

Comments

• Yep - I agree :)

Can you suggest a better way for it to work?

• +3 for making chords mode somehow usable for something.... ;)

• edited February 2019

sorry - that was extra snarky - my bad.... ;)

• Dean! I’m shocked!

I always though you were such a polite and zen young man!

• Hey guys,

We got some neat improvements regarding chords / scales coming in the next update.

Stay tuned,
    Cheers,
    Mathieu.

• Here is the idea i was kicking around the 5pin.link discord chat, having the ability to load tempo tracks, arrangement tracks, chord tracks.
    A chord track would highlight all notes contained within that chord in the piano roll while the playhead was in that position, the chord mode on pads would have a chord track function for realtime use too.

• @mathieugarcia said:
    Hey guys,

We got some neat improvements regarding chords / scales coming in the next update.

Stay tuned,
    Cheers,
    Mathieu.

👀👀👀👀. J'attends avec patience.

• Looks great @winconway!

Would be cool if the arrangement lane could map to a scene (if you name a scene the same as an arrangement marker, it would automatically insert the clips for the arrangement into the main timeline)

• Yep that was the idea for the arrangement lane exactly lol.

• Right now the only workaround is to copy the first pad to other pads and on each pad choosing what key and what kind of chord you’d like it to play.
    Works with most au/iaa plugins, sometimes you’ll just need to route the midi output correctly.
    Not a real solution to having an ability to edit the individual midi notes afterwards but it does the trick sometimes.

• @winconway said:
    Yep that was the idea for the arrangement lane exactly lol.

Great minds....

• edited February 2019

I am using Navichord app when I need some nice chord progressions or just want to try out various chord combinations. It has a beautiful UI and features that BM3 will probably never have. It has MIDI out and Ableton link, that's more or less everything you need to record into BM3 and continue with the exact notes.

• Imagine a standard chord track save file that could be loaded and saved in Navichord or B3 or NS2 etc etc.

• JDBJDB
    edited February 2019

My suggestion would just be the ability to record the chords to midi so I can switch between chord types and record them as I please, seems like the obvious way but I’m assuming there’s some reason in the code it doesn’t work like that. I don’t mind using a different app but if there’s a built in section for it already I’d rather avoid opening more apps

• edited February 2019

Agreed, it should output MIDI from the current chord selector.
    But that is only of use for programming not realtime play unless a user can define either a pallete of chords to realtime choose from or indeed a chord track as above.

So there are considerations beyond "just make it output MIDI"

• I wonder if Audioveek’s Midi route will allow chords to be recorded to pattern

(tk32 scuttles off to go try his theory....)

• edited February 2019

Sadly... no :(

The chords act like linked pads, so unfortunately only the note you press generates a midi event (even with Audioveek midi tools monitoring midi)

• Theoretically you might be able to do it with midi Route on the Instrument level, iff you're using an external keyboard to trigger the bank you're playing. But that's mostly useless :)

• @DeanDaughters said:
    +3 for making chords mode somehow usable for something.... ;)

I'll have you know chords mode is actually usable as an octave doubler effect!