Editing midi notes in song mode without affecting the original pattern

Hi all. This is my first post here. I recently got BM3 and I was wondering if there was a way to edit midi notes in song mode without affecting the original pattern. For example: in Ableton if you load several instances of the same clip (pattern) in song mode you can select one instance and edit the notes to create variation without having to make an entirely new pattern. I tried this method in BM and it changed the original pattern along with all the other instances of the same pattern loaded into the song. Is it possible to do this in BM3? I searched the manual and online and haven't been able to come up with an answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited March 2019

Hi @Shawzilla

All patterns on the timeline with the same name are dynamically linked. Therefore if you add a note to pattern 1 then all instances of pattern 1 update.

The way you add variations to a pattern in BM3 is to select a pattern on the song timeline and press Duplicate (in the bottom-right corner).

What this does is create a new version of the selected pattern, immediately to the right of the selected pattern, and auto-names it with a new incremented name based on the original pattern.

You can now make changes to your new pattern without it affecting the original.

I do this all the time when I'm making music (or experimenting with ideas). Obviously, this also means that any future changes in the original pattern are not reflected in the duplicate, because they are no longer linked.

I prefer to think of the 'Duplicate' button as a 'Make Unique' command, because that's exactly how it works.

Hope this helps...

• Thanks @tk32

That definitely helps.

• How about if you have built an arrangement in song mode by for example "paste song" from scene mode and you have the same pattern on, say, a drum track/bank, repeating throughout the song. At this point I will typically want to start making edits to these patterns throughout the song.

This is where a true "Make Unique" command would be great. As @tk32 mentions, the "Duplicate" button copies the selected pattern and places it to the right of the original selected pattern and makes it a new pattern. Here a "Make Unique" button that directly replaces the selected pattern with a new pattern would be a good workflow enhancement. I think there is a need for a "Duplicate" and a "Make Unique" button.

• edited March 2019

+1 ^