quantize off not playing back exactly what I record major fix needed

2»

Comments

• 3 things to check (the most common cause of this problem):

1. Make sure Ableton Link is OFF
    2. Make you you don’t have any note repeats enabled for on your banks/pads
    3. Make sure your audio buffer is 512 or lower (in order to keep latency under 10ms)

Let me know if you need a more detailed description about how to check #1, #2 or #3 above.

• None of those things apply. It doesn’t appear to be a standard latency issue, the on screen pads trigger immediately and the audio track (in BeatMaker itself) records the corresponding audio, it is just the midi sequencer that is putting notes in the wrong place.

• @winconway said:
    At 120 BPM 4:4 signature
    Quarter note or 1 beat is 60/120 (number of seconds in a minute divided by number of beats in a minute) 0.5ms
    So a single pulse at 120 4:4 is 0.5/996 0.0005020080ms
    Average sense to brain perception is close to 40ms, which we normally halve to cover multiple senses or interaction, this gives us the universally accepted 20ms ear reaction time that most consumer tech will be based on, trained ear tech (musicians, gamers etc) will try to halve this again because we will notice timing changes in the 6-10ms threshold if it is a continual part of our daily lifestyle, however never underestimate a good oldschool DJ who generally will be in the 3-6ms threshold. (Not digital DJ who rely on auto BPM and such, there is a huge huge difference)
    0.0005020080ms you have no way of perceiving one pulse to the next, this is a human impossibility (but ppqn was never about tighter timing ;) )

FYI i was born deaf, so got a bit of an interest in this stuff years ago, after all my operations as a child, i went on to have a fascination with all this stuff, i haven't been tested for a while but a few years back i was in the 0-2ms threshold (extremely rare) now with age i suspect that has lowered a little.

Oh and don't be thinking that smaller threshold is always better, if i program strings from a sampler like kontakt, i "Have" to record to stems and then edit the stems to sound like they attack in the right places, everybody listening on thinks i am a complete freak and in blind tests only i can tell the difference.
    I have wasted too many hours fixing things only i can hear :(

I thoroughly enjoyed this...fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

• @ampapps said:

@winconway said:
    At 120 BPM 4:4 signature
    Quarter note or 1 beat is 60/120 (number of seconds in a minute divided by number of beats in a minute) 0.5ms
    So a single pulse at 120 4:4 is 0.5/996 0.0005020080ms
    Average sense to brain perception is close to 40ms, which we normally halve to cover multiple senses or interaction, this gives us the universally accepted 20ms ear reaction time that most consumer tech will be based on, trained ear tech (musicians, gamers etc) will try to halve this again because we will notice timing changes in the 6-10ms threshold if it is a continual part of our daily lifestyle, however never underestimate a good oldschool DJ who generally will be in the 3-6ms threshold. (Not digital DJ who rely on auto BPM and such, there is a huge huge difference)
    0.0005020080ms you have no way of perceiving one pulse to the next, this is a human impossibility (but ppqn was never about tighter timing ;) )

FYI i was born deaf, so got a bit of an interest in this stuff years ago, after all my operations as a child, i went on to have a fascination with all this stuff, i haven't been tested for a while but a few years back i was in the 0-2ms threshold (extremely rare) now with age i suspect that has lowered a little.

Oh and don't be thinking that smaller threshold is always better, if i program strings from a sampler like kontakt, i "Have" to record to stems and then edit the stems to sound like they attack in the right places, everybody listening on thinks i am a complete freak and in blind tests only i can tell the difference.
    I have wasted too many hours fixing things only i can hear :(

I thoroughly enjoyed this...fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I originally missed this post @winconway. Fascinating stuff indeed.