New to BM3

Whats good everyone! I go by the name Twist Royal and I just recently got BM3.

I been producing rap/hip-hop beats for the last 6 years mainly on my computer using FL & Logic but I'm trying to make my setup more mobile.

So I recently purchased an iPad and some other equipment that can all fit in a backpack and I must say its been working out pretty well for me.

I just wanted to introduce myself and try to connect with more people.

I've made hundreds of beats over the years, if anybody is new or starting out and needs any help or you just want to connect, feel free to hit me up!

Although I'm still learning how to use BM3 hopefully I can provide some insight on producing.

~Thanks

Comments

• @TwistRoyal said:
    Whats good everyone! I go by the name Twist Royal and I just recently got BM3.

I been producing rap/hip-hop beats for the last 6 years mainly on my computer using FL & Logic but I'm trying to make my setup more mobile.

So I recently purchased an iPad and some other equipment that can all fit in a backpack and I must say its been working out pretty well for me.

I just wanted to introduce myself and try to connect with more people.

I've made hundreds of beats over the years, if anybody is new or starting out and needs any help or you just want to connect, feel free to hit me up!

Although I'm still learning how to use BM3 hopefully I can provide some insight on producing.

~Thanks

Welcome!

• Hi @TwistRoyal

Welcome to the community
    :+1:

• You chose wisely, BM3 is the best for hiphop.

• BM3 is amazing for any genre... :)

• @DeanDaughters said:
    BM3 is amazing for any genre... :)

Yes any genre.

• edited November 2019

@DeanDaughters said:
    BM3 is amazing for any genre... :)

TROOF! I love it despite its quirks, it’s like having an MC-909 again, but on steroids with 3rd party plug-ins.

• @StudioES said:
    Welcome TwistRoyal! Which iPad & accessories did you buy?
    I upgraded to a 2017 Pro 10.5 a couple weeks ago, & a 3lbs Windows ultrabook. I'm amazed how powerful these quad-core i5 CPUs are, plus the 12 hour battery life! Great combo so far.

i got the 2018 9.7" iPad 128gb. I also got a little scarlett solo interface to plug my condenser mic into when im on the go. I also got the iPad lightning to usb plugin so i can plug the interface or a midi keyboard in, so far its been working out pretty good. Yeah I cant believe I've waited this long to get an iPad, I love the fact that I can lay in bed while I make beats lol. I didn't even know there were apps as capable as BM3 on the iPad. I might upgrade to a pro version later down the road if I really get the workflow down faster.

• edited December 2019

@StudioES said:
    Well, at least you don't need to stop the sequencer.

Aw yeah. It’s like seeing an old friend. Loved that thing but it had some real annoying issues Roland never fixed. Another one was reverb tails & sound release would cut off when changing patches. Maybe that was just mine. I rarely ever used song mode because of that.

Still, such a great box for banging things out, the interface was perfect & I knew that XV/Fantom-S engine inside out, could get the sickest sounds using the FXM modulation, TFT routings & resampling w/ effects,

• edited December 2019

@StudioES said:
    You weren't alone - Roland never fixed the audio cut-off when switching patches or patterns. The Korg Electribes were nearly seamless.

For me, I could never get over the flatness of the ROM synth samples, even with the SRX card.

That era was interesting - the MC-909, RS7000, EMU Command Station... $2000 boxes discounted to $500 less than a year later.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the “flatness”. My friend’s Korg ESX didn’t cutout, & sounded better too, much more sizzle. Wasn’t just ROMs either, even samples lost a bit of something going in. It’s like the DACs or maybe the 909’s data compression were sucking something out, a kind of eq curve. I’d A/B the source sample on PC & the one from 909 would look different from source every time . Roland rep Mike Acosta referred to me as “crazy“ when someone on MV forums brought up my complaints about 909’s sound & sequencing issues. Shill.

They had a real gem there, but blew it. 909 interface was dope.