Loading Beatmaker 3 into Audiobus

edited December 2019 in Bug reports

BM3 does only load into Audiobus after restart of the iPad and if loaded prior to Audiobus.
Lastest iOS, latest Audiobus, latest BM3 version, latest iPad Mini.

Am I the only one with these problems or does nobody use it with Audiobus?!

Audiobus load problem
  1. Does loading of BM3 into Audiobus work for you without problems?4 votes
    1. Yes
        0.00%
    2. No
      100.00%
    3. Sometimes
        0.00%

Comments

• It has always been this way. You always need to load BM3 before Audiobus is running.

• @number37 said:
    It has always been this way. You always need to load BM3 before Audiobus is running.

Well, it has not always been this way. On my older iPad (with iOS 12.4) it works perfect (at least loading of the BM3 app into Audiobus). It seems to be an iOS 13 problem.. Interesting that obiously nobody cares..
    Anyway, how do I put this on an official bug list? is there such a thing?

• @Samplix

Audiobus relies on IAA technology, which Apple no longer officially supports.

Enjoy the workaround whilst it still lasts, as the situation is highly unlikely to improve.

Sorry to bring you bad news at Christmas. :(

• @tk32
    Thank you for this information!
    Guess I need a new sampler now :/

• @tk32 said:
    @Samplix

Audiobus relies on IAA technology, which Apple no longer officially supports.

Enjoy the workaround whilst it still lasts, as the situation is highly unlikely to improve.

Sorry to bring you bad news at Christmas. :(

It is not true that Apple no longer supports IAA. In fact, they fixed some IAA bugs in iOS 13.2 that were introduced in iOS 12.4. Deprecated does NOT mean not supported. It is simply a designation to tell developers that at some point (usually years after being deprecated) that programming framework will be discontinued.

For some deprecated calls, the actual removal happens as soon as two generations of the OS, but some deprecated frameworks lasted for more than a decade after deprecation. I suspect IAA will not go away quickly. Too many prominent iOS music apps are IAA...and AUv3 does not yet provide for host-to-host communication.

Also, the Audiobus developer (who has a strong relationship with Apple) has indicated that Audiobus will be updated to a non-IAA backbone if there is still a need for it when IAA is finally discontinued.

• Technically you're right, @easelec

Officially, Apple have only designated IAA as 'deprecated', and it still works mostly fine in ios13 (and will probably continue to work for some time to come).

However... It's extremely unlikely many iOS app developers (especially the small indie ones) will want to invest any significant amount of time or money squashing IAA bugs and trying to maintain compatibility with Audiobus when they know the technology is already on its way out.

Apple may have the resources to continue fixing a few IAA bugs (of which there are no shortage!), but it's unreasonable to expect other developers to continue supporting it.

I just want to make sure users have realistic expectations about what things are likely - or unlikely - to get fixed.

• Up to date all my Apps work with Audiobus on iOS 13 (and I have quite a few). The only one not loading is BM3. I would like to have an AU version of the BM3 Sampler to load in my environment of choice.

• @tk32, with all due respect, I think you're being just a little over-dismissive on this one. Yes, IAA is depreciated (not the same as being not supported), but not loading properly is still a bug. Moreover, BM3 includes Audiobus support. As such, it should load automatically when launched in Audiobus, without having to launch it first.

Additionally, the creator of Audiobus has said that apps that implement Audiobus support will continue to work with it even after IAA ceases to function. Audiobus provided the services it does before IAA even existed. When IAA became established, Audiobus' internal mechanism was changed over to use it. But, if IAA goes away, Audiobus will revert to providing its own support, and apps will continue to work together as before, without the app developer needing to do anything.

All that to say. This should be considered a valid bug and be prioritized as the developer sees fit, not dismissed.

• Fair point @number37

Since the advent of AUv3 I've always tended to avoid IAA, so I'm probably a little biased in my view of its importance to others.

Interesting to note that the developer of Nanostudio2 (Matt Borstel) chose not to support IAA at all from the start.

• edited December 2019

thanks @number37 for your support! For me it‘s a bug, but im not shure if apple, intua or audiobus can fix it. I doubt that the problem is on the audiobus side. very nice programmer, perfect customer support (unlike others 🤨).

• @tk32 said:
    Fair point @number37

Since the advent of AUv3 I've always tended to avoid IAA, so I'm probably a little biased in my view of its importance to others.

Interesting to note that the developer of Nanostudio2 (Matt Borstel) chose not to support IAA at all from the start.

And then added Audiobus support when he realized how critical it was to a large number of NS2 users.

• edited December 2019

@tk32 said:

And that was an excellent decision, IMO.

Audiobus support is unique in that it is (or should be) easier to implement and maintain and adds more features. Not being a developer, I'm not authoritative on that though. :D

I can definitely see why it may not be a high priority for Intua. But, I would still like to see it work properly and to be maintained going forward. It brings so much to BM3's usefulness alongside other apps.