Am I missing something? (Audio units in BM3)

Hi all, new to BM3 and I can't help wonder if I'm missing something. Why is it so clunky to use audio units in BM3? Am I correct in saying to access the audio unit, you have to enter the samples page, and then click on the audio unit icon top right, and then again on the audio unit icon that pops up? What's the fastest way to enter the audio unit? (in AUM, you just tap on the audio unit name at the top of the mixer channel. Simple.)

Comments

• Drag a plug-in to a pad from the browser maybe?

• edited March 2020

I don't mean how to load one, I mean how to go into the audio unit's own page. It seems like there are a number of steps and pages to go through before the audio unit page pops up. e.g., while I'm playing in scenes mode, I might want to tweak stuff on the fly. How do I quickly jump into the audio unit?

• When a pad has an AUv3 loaded tapping on the keyboard brings up the main AUv3 interface.

• @samu said:
    When a pad has an AUv3 loaded tapping on the keyboard brings up the main AUv3 interface.

Great thanks I’ll give this a go! I knew there had to be something I was missing. I also need to read the manual!

• Clunky isn't my issue its the slowness of AUV3!!! I can load hardly any into the Ipad. Korg's Electribe Wave is the only thing that runs multiples without much issue!!!

• @samu said:
    When a pad has an AUv3 loaded tapping on the keyboard brings up the main AUv3 interface.

Heh, this came late to the game and I keep forgetting to do it. Must build that muscle memory.

• @The_Bro said:
    Clunky isn't my issue its the slowness of AUV3!!! I can load hardly any into the Ipad. Korg's Electribe Wave is the only thing that runs multiples without much issue!!!

Dayum, what iPad you using?

• iPad 9.7 128gb 2017 model.

• @The_Bro said:
    iPad 9.7 128gb 2017 model.

Mmmm, yes I used that exact one for a couple years. It was a good deal for what it is and I did get some value out of it but only felt BM3 really rocked once I got a used 2017 Pro 10.5. What a difference.

• @Audiogus said:
    but only felt BM3 really rocked once I got a used 2017 Pro 10.5. What a difference.

In what ways specifically? What do you notice most?

• edited March 2020

Unless you use AUv3 sparingly and stick mainly with samples and internal effects, non-pro iPad models and base units older than 2 years will likely struggle with the CPU and ram demands of the best new synth and effects plugins.

However...

If you're smart, you can find ways to minimise CPU load, and don't underestimate the effect of raising BM3's buffer settings to the range 512-1024.

Remember that YouTube's TheSoundtestRoom managed to make nearly all his videos and tracks over the last 2+ years on an Air2 (until he upgraded to Pro about 6 months ago).

Tip - If you really want to squeeze the most out of your older iPads, I would suggest looking at Nanostudio 2 and Korg Gadget, both of which have internal synth engines and effects that are very well optimized for lower power devices - minimizing your reliance on auv3.

• @tk32 said:

Remember that YouTube's TheSoundtestRoom managed to make nearly all his videos and tracks over the last 2+ years on an Air2 (until he upgraded to Pro about 6 months ago).

Doug's current iPad is the basic 6th Gen 9.7" iPad with 128GB storage :)
    So one doesn't have to use a 'Pro' iPad to be 'Pro' hehe...

I'll wait a bit more until I find a successor to my iPad Air 2 which is still adequatly serving my needs.
    (The current issues with the various new models regarding samplerate etc. would drive me nuts in notime).

• @Audiogus said:

@The_Bro said:

Mmmm, yes I used that exact one for a couple years. It was a good deal for what it is and I did get some value out of it but only felt BM3 really rocked once I got a used 2017 Pro 10.5. What a difference.

Yeah I'd like to know too. Cheers!!

• @BitterGums said:

@Audiogus said:
    but only felt BM3 really rocked once I got a used 2017 Pro 10.5. What a difference.

In what ways specifically? What do you notice most?

@The_Bro said:

@Audiogus said:

@The_Bro said:

Yeah I'd like to know too. Cheers!!

Hmmm, In a lot of ways it is better. Just faster with every operation really. Mixdowns, even slicing and saving samples, navigating the UI, pretty much everything is much much smoother. Of course I can now load many more instances of AUs for mixing (the fab filters mostly, Pro L and Q3 are great, that was a huge leap (ps: people swear by the cheaper toneboosters too)) but I also love being able to simply audition different synths for trying ideas, not just layering tons of stuff but trying a couple different basses in different synths and A/B testing which one I like more.

Also, I build up my index of sessions I am working on in Cubasis so I do a lot of mixdown, quit, load Cubasis, load the mixdown, tinker lufs, hop back in to BM3 etc. It feels like I have a lot to do on a track even before hitting the 50% cpu mark now so I don't feel like I am constantly budgeting resources, ditching au fx part way in etc like I used to. Leg room!

• @Audiogus kool kool kool. it's good to get that kind of explanation ... specifically how it's working within BM3. sounds like it's handling most everything pretty well ! are there any AUv3 instruments that give you any guff? I'm finding Cubasis is nice to work in the same way. have you sprung for 3 yet?

• @BitterGums said:
    @Audiogus kool kool kool. it's good to get that kind of explanation ... specifically how it's working within BM3. sounds like it's handling most everything pretty well ! are there any AUv3 instruments that give you any guff? I'm finding Cubasis is nice to work in the same way. have you sprung for 3 yet?

I do have Cubasis 3 but moving clips on the timeline (or 'events' as Cubasis calls them) is pretty clunky and buggy for me. The initial release was massively buggy in other ways too and I guess some things have been fixed since then but my main issues are still there. They kept saying they could not repro them on the same devices (both of my 2017 devices, one base and one pro) so I just gave up. Now it is just an $80 mastering app for me, eh I guess you get what you get out of these apps. A shame as Cubasis 2 was so much better for splitting, selecting and moving clips, err events.

As for AUv3 instruments Factory has issues recalling presets but this is apparently in any hosts and due to an Apple bug. DRC has some issues lately for me with patches/instances dying so i started to shy away from it but not sure if this is just BM3 related or in other hosts.