Pattern Note Waveform?

Why is there no way to show the waveform of the note in the Pattern editor? I want to draw the note the exact length that it is. Is there any way to do that? Thanks

Comments

• I don’t understand why it’s important for you to draw your notes the same length as the waveform?

If you explain what you are trying to do there is probably a much easier way to achieve it.

• @tk32 said:
    I don’t understand why it’s important for you to draw your notes the same length as the waveform?

If you explain what you are trying to do there is probably a much easier way to achieve it.

so i know when the note ends so i can place the next note right after it

• edited May 2020

That sounds impossible. I can’t imagine how on earth that could work. Maybe I’m just misunderstanding you. Can you point to some other DAW or app that does this as an example?

Some DAWs allow you to display a waveform of previously recorded audio behind the note editor as an aid in placing notes with the same timing. But if I’m understanding you correctly, you’d want BM3 to render the waveform note-by-note as you enter it. In 35 years of making music on computers I’ve never seen anything like that.

I can’t imagine how that could work. Tweak the tempo and the waveform would change for every note. Add reverb, change the velocity of a note, change the pitch, etc, etc, etc, and that waveform and length of note would change, have to be graphically rendered realtime and re-displayed (and all your entered notes would be off).

Sorry, I don’t mean to be negative toward your idea. It’s just something that I don’t think could work unless I’ve misunderstood what you’re looking for.

• edited May 2020

@sol

Generally you want your samples to trigger in time to the beat/grid, rather than in relation to the end of the previous sample. That is, unless you are making a track with no fixed tempo.

It sounds like you want there to be a seamless gap between your samples. Perhaps they are lines of vocals, or loops, similar? If so, the important thing is to trigger the samples on the beat (in one shot mode), and set your project tempo to match. It’s usually best to loop a section and turn the metronome on while you tweak the BPM up/down until it’s perfect.

Like I said, the more you explain the situation, the better other forum users like me and @number37 can help you.

It definitely sounds like you might be doing things the wrong way/ the hard way.

• solsol
    edited May 2020

@number37 @tk32 thanks for trying to help maybe i wasn't clear enough but i'm chopping up samples and trying to arrange them in the "Song" view with no gaps in between. I trimmed the sample into 6 parts and want to arrange them so that the next one plays right after the one before it ends. I'm sure that doesn't sound impossible lol. Nothing to do with the tempo yet. Am i trying to do it the hard way?

• Can't say I fully understand yet - but maybe the easiest thing for you is to create an audio track, then drag your samples one-by-one from the file browser onto the audio track lane and arrange them so there is no gaps between them.

Although if you aren't concerned about tempo, another option might be to splice them together into one WAV using a standalone audio editor?

• @tk32 thanks that helps, i didn't know i could do that. The only thing is now I don't have all the sample editing/tuning options i would have if i had dragged the sample onto a pad

• @tk32 it's really simple all i want is to see the waveform of my sample when it's in the arrangement view (the "Song" or "Pattern" view)

• edited May 2020

@sol said:
    @tk32 it's really simple all i want is to see the waveform of my sample when it's in the arrangement view (the "Song" or "Pattern" view)

Makes more sense now that it's clear you're working with chopped up audio. I thought you were wanting to see the waveform output of a synth triggered by the notes you draw in the piano roll.

BM3 isn't made to work that way though.

My suggestion is to use Save > Slice to Pads > Create Pattern = ON. This will give you a pattern with midi notes automatically exactly the length of each slice. They will be arranged one after the other so that if you play back that pattern, it should play back just like the un-sliced sample.

These notes can then be re-arranged one after the other and will always each be the length that your waveform view would have been if it were available.

If I've understood you correctly, this will give you what you need, just not in the visual waveform representation you wanted.

• It took me a sec to get what you're saying but I think you're saying.. for example when you draw a 'short' midi note but the sound has a longer sustain/release ..the midi note in the piano roll doesn't always correspond with what you're hearing. And vice versa.. sometimes long midi note ..short sound.

In the upper right hand corner ..under 'SAVE' you can change the 'Song Grid' ...try changing that to 1/64 or FREE and you might get closer to what you're wanting to do. Or perhaps in pattern view.. again set the song grid to FREE and draw the midi notes to the length you hear and they should line up in Song view.

• @number37 thanks that helps. appreciate it

• @BitterGums i wasn't clear enough i just wanted to see the waveform of my audio sample when it's in the arrangement view

• solsol
    edited July 2020

Your suggestion to use to use "Save > Slice to Pads > Create Pattern = ON" works perfectly but only if Live Stretch is on

• solsol
    edited July 2020

What if I don't want to use Live stretch?