BM3 and Korg apps (iMS20, iPolysix, iElectribe)

2»

Comments

• edited July 2017

@triton100 said:

@denx said:

@triton100 said:

@denx said:
    Ok, I'll just keep on trying then, thanks :) Not using Audiobus for now...

I updated my answer before. Have aread again. Electribe will work.
    Even With IAA. You need to set midi output to channel 10 and drums are mapped to c1.

Read it again, think I understand it now... thanks.

@samu @philowerx @triton100
    Got IAA working for the all Korg apps. As was probably to be expected (in my case anyway) the midi settings where not correct :| , nobody's fault but mine...

Thanks for your help!

No worries but maybe you know how to load iMS-20 and imaschine. I can get iMS-20 to load using ab3 but the sound is distorted but I have no luck using IAA. Imaschine does not show up at all no matter what.

Reinstalled iMashine 2 and it also shows in the list and loads. No luck with getting sounds into BM3, though.
    As far as I can see there is no way to get midi into iMashine, though it should be possible to record audio from the app via IAA (at least, it seems to work in Cubasis).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @triton100 said:

@denx said:

@triton100 said:

@denx said:

@triton100 said:

@denx said:
    Ok, I'll just keep on trying then, thanks :) Not using Audiobus for now...

I updated my answer before. Have aread again. Electribe will work.
    Even With IAA. You need to set midi output to channel 10 and drums are mapped to c1.

Read it again, think I understand it now... thanks.

@samu @philowerx @triton100
    Got IAA working for the all Korg apps. As was probably to be expected (in my case anyway) the midi settings where not correct :| , nobody's fault but mine...

Thanks for your help!

No worries but maybe you know how to load iMS-20 and imaschine. I can get iMS-20 to load using ab3 but the sound is distorted but I have no luck using IAA. Imaschine does not show up at all no matter what.

Reinstalled iMashine 2 and it also shows in the list and loads. No luck with getting sounds into BM3, though.
    As far as I can see there is no way to get midi into iMashine, though it should be possible to record audio from the app via IAA (at least, it seems to work in Cubasis).

Yes exactly re the audio. IMaschine does show up for me but will not load using IAA it just gives me an error and through ab3 it shows up in the list but not in the 'midi out' list so you can't connect to it. Oh well hopefully be fixed soon

I think it's iMashine actually: no midi out or in, as far as I can see/read. Would be happy if I were to be wrong, though.

• Not the most direct method but most reliable and ironically the fastest, record your samples with AB into AudioShare. Why? AudioShare and AB can be used in the app you're sampling just hit record, play and hit stop. You can take all the takes you want and choose the best after. Second in AudioShare you can set input gain and normalisation settings to booste the sound of all your recordings. Finally when you're finished you can zip your folder in AudioShare and send it to BM3. I do my trimming in BM3 since there are other things I like to do to the pads such as setting root keys, polyphony, panning and fx etc. So there you go. Tried IAA and AB in BM3 but it tended to crash likely connected to linking samples to pads. Realised it was more of a three step process than one. Making perfect sounding banks in reasonable amounts of time without any crashes now.
  • edited July 2017

Since updating my iPad mini 4 with Apple's dreaded updates to 10.3.3 the iWAVESTATION and the other Korg IAA plugins don't work with BM3 now. When I was running iOS 10.3.2 the iWAVESTATION IAA plugin worked. After updating to 10.3.3 they don't work anymore. :( I think I will keep my iPad Pro on iOS 10.3.2. Damn Apple :(

• I think it's quite safe to assume that Korg will update all their apps to be iOS11 compatible when released.

Personally I wish IAA would go away, just like waking up from a bad dream...

• @samu said:
    I think it's quite safe to assume that Korg will update all their apps to be iOS11 compatible when released.

Personally I wish IAA would go away, just like waking up from a bad dream...

Amen. I'm not purchasing IAA apps anymore.

• Since we're all eager to know how things progress I can say as much as the situation regarding iMS-20, iPolySix and iElectribe is improving in the latest beta that just popped a few minutes ago.

My 'procedure' for sampling all 3 of apps is as follows.
    Start the app (iMS-20, iPolySix or iElectribe). It's important to start the app first.
    (I had some nasty distortions if I let BM3 launch the app).

Load the app as IAA Plug-In in BM3.
    Make sure the pad to which the plug-in is loaded transmits midi to the app. Select the app in the port-list and set the channel). iMS-20 and iPolySix are both multi-timbral.

Switch over tho iMS-20 or iPolysix and play the keys to verify that they make noise.
    Enjoy sampling using the keyboard sampler :)

My rule of thumb is to always start the apps before loading them as a plug-in in BM3.
    (This works for iOS SoundCanvas, SquareSynth, SidTracker 64 and plenty of others).

Needless to say but I really do prefer AUv3's...

• Any body having any joy with Odyseei? I can receive the audio via IAA, but cannot sequence via BM3. I've checked the MIDI settings in BM3 and Odyssei and they look good, but all thats happening is a MIDI passthru - I can play my midi keyboard, see key depressions in BM3, and hearing audio back... iOdyssei is getting the midi notes from the keyboard, but not from BM3. Cant sequence it either. Hair loss.

• The pad in BM3 that hosts the Odysseyi plug-in must have it's midi-output set to Odysseyi in order for it to work.

• edited July 2017

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Not the most direct method but most reliable and ironically the fastest, record your samples with AB into AudioShare. Why? AudioShare and AB can be used in the app you're sampling just hit record, play and hit stop. You can take all the takes you want and choose the best after. Second in AudioShare you can set input gain and normalisation settings to booste the sound of all your recordings. Finally when you're finished you can zip your folder in AudioShare and send it to BM3. I do my trimming in BM3 since there are other things I like to do to the pads such as setting root keys, polyphony, panning and fx etc. So there you go. Tried IAA and AB in BM3 but it tended to crash likely connected to linking samples to pads. Realised it was more of a three step process than one. Making perfect sounding banks in reasonable amounts of time without any crashes now.

:o lol - that sounds pretty cumbersome to me - main reason why I still don't like use my iPad as a full fledged music tool.
    I hoped BM3 would change that - but it's still left a lot to desire - and within the iOS eco-system I fear that it will take longer than I'm willing to wait for. :/

I'm now checking for alternative ways - like the iconnectmidi2+ interface.
    It has a digital audio-thru function so that you can incorprate your iOS device directly into your desktop DAW.
    Because some synths are only available on iOS or are just better from an ergonomic touch-based use case.

I wish it would be possible to plug the iPad directly into a macbook and have an AU-plugin (or multiple ones) hosting it with full access within Logic Pro X. That would be awesome! :p

At the moment I would kinda like the idea of BM3 as a powerful (drum)sampler with great choping/slicing features within Logic much better.

• edited July 2017

@triton100 said:
    Why not just use logics exs sampler. Does exactly the same and much more powerful. Or alchemy

Don't know. I honestly never got my head around EXS24. Not my taste in ergonomics and totally crappy resolution graphics-wise. That's one over-haul I'm really waiting for in Logic (if it's ever going to happen). That and Ultrabeat are waaaaayyyy overdue for a redesign.

Alchemy I'm thinking of it more as a sample-based ROMpler with Synthesizer capabilites.
    How does chopping/slicing work in Alchemy?

I've always been more of a N.I. Battery guy - I just like the clean and tidy layout - but always missed some proper chopping features. The automatic slice to pad function of BM3 is something I really like.

• edited July 2017

@triton100 said:

The only thing is it can't to timestrech. Pitch will change on transpose. Buy alchemy can. But alchemy cannot slice.

Well, that's kinda the Problem - the other Solutions (EXS24, Alchemy) always lack 1 or 2 features that are crucial to the workflow/result. :D

@Intua: just make it an AU plugin within Logic Pro and I'll be happy B)

(but on another note.... would it actually be possible to write an AU-plugin that hosts an iPAD as virtual Instrument(s) over USB/lightning wth full access - because THAT would be pretty awesome) :o

• I share your desire! A fluid transition between music production on iPad and desktop... but please; not like Gadget. iOS 11 also shares MIDI alongside audio via thunderbolt btw. It *looks* good, but only hands on will tell.
  • edited July 2017
    (Deleted duplicated post - forum bug?)
  • None of the Korg apps show up anymore as IAA plugins in BM3 under iOS12. Anybody else with the same problem?

• @insession said:
    None of the Korg apps show up anymore as IAA plugins in BM3 under iOS12. Anybody else with the same problem?

I see them all. You’re definitely looking in IAA and not AU?

• edited January 2019

@insession said:
    None of the Korg apps show up anymore as IAA plugins in BM3 under iOS12. Anybody else with the same problem?

All present and accounted for here. If I remember correctly, some of them used to appear in a Korg group in the bottom sections of the list. They are now in the purely alphabetic list, not under company name. But, they are all there.

• @GusGranite said:
    I see them all. You’re definitely looking in IAA and not AU?

Yes, I think so. I had this working on an older iPad. I have recently moved to a new (2018) model, installed the Korg apps and BM3 but I can't get them to appear under PlugIns/IAA. I have deleted and installed the apps several times, still no luck. Also tried to launch the Korg apps before BM3 and no difference. Very bizarre. Those apps show up fine in GarageBand... BTW, I have installed Animoog and that shows up in BM3

• @insession have you tried Settings > Settings & Behaviors > Re-Scan Database? There’s also Hard-Reset Database, but I don’t know if that one is risky or not.

• @number37
    thanks for the suggestion. Yes, tried both of those, still same problem. Very frustrating...

• That’s just really, really weird. I can’t imagine why that would be.

• Which version of IOS ?

• @winconway said:
    Which version of IOS ?

latest 12.1.1

• Same for me. No Korg app is visible. Intual support told me, the problem is fixed in new beta...but when is this available to us?

• Only Intua know about release dates.