BM3 Controller kick-starter

edited August 2017 in General
Guess would make sense to wait til OS is a little more settled... but could be interesting if anyone on here's got the chops to build something BM3 specific?

If someone nailed it I'd probably buy one... Maybe two versions - pads vs some kind of small 2 octaves keys.. Apparently ios 11 can deal with audio + midi over lightning cable?Phono sampling inputs + din midi sockets please ;)

Comments

• edited August 2017
    Definitely think that there should be some hardware for bm3(first app really worthy imo), but i dont think regular 2 octave keyboard or basic pads would be the way to go, as there are already plenty of them in market. Also push2 support would be super nice
  • I have push2 so in theory I should be excited for that as a potential option but tbh it's pretty big/heavy, doesn't have i/o connections, not many knobs and needs to be powered, it's probably not something I'd use around the house with ipad and if I'm at my main setup id probably just use ableton/daw for most tasks....would be cool as an option but wouldn't really fit the job for me.

Something more portable with as many buttons per function as poss + small keys/pads + knobs (even small ones like on volcas would be fine..16 for macros :) and integrated i/o options would be cool. There are keys and pads out there like you say, but no recent ones as far as I know that also have i/o and a ton of knobs?
  • edited August 2017
    I am building one from an Arturia beatstep. I will laser cut 6 layers of 3mm black mdf.
    The firat idea was to put the pcb of a Behringer 202 audio interface but I decided to just put an usb hub in it instead.
  • @peterpeterpeterpeter that's really cool, please keep us updated on that!

• I'm happy with my Akai MPD226 for now, apart from some pad re-triggering issues (not BM3 related). No keys, and no i/o, but now I've mostly got it mapped how I want it, it's almost as if it were made for Beatmaker 3.

• @Heyez

Yea i understand where you are coming now better. Personally i dont care about portability at all(as long as it doesent take too much space on my desk), as i only have the need for controllers at home. And if i want to do something elsewhere, ill just use on screen keys(or preferably pads if available, like on bm3).

Coming from and owning ableton(and tons of plugins), having my laptop on same table than ipad and rest, connected to my ipad and even midi routed through ableton to ipad. I still prefer using bm3, and i had push1, but sold it since i felt it was too much hassle to route its midi to ipad and wanted to buy a synth that doubles as midi keys. Its just something about a whole using desktop, mouse and keyboard that is offputting and uninspiring. Thats why i would really like push2 support with sequencers(similar to abletons) etc in it, and would buy push2 just for this.

But yes, i agree that push could have a few extra buttons and knobs. Luckily i have traktor kontrol f1 that i currently use with bm, and that has 4 knobs and faders, and two pages, so enough for 16 macro controls :)

NI's maschine makes quite nice controller for bm as well.
  • @Heyez said:

Apparently ios 11 can deal with audio + midi over lightning cable?

actually audio + midi over lighting cable works well already in IOS 10,

• edited August 2017
    Cool, I thought I read somewhere it was a new thing..
  • @strizbiz said:

@Heyez said:

it should definitely be capable of. also the iconnect iconnectivity midi2+ and midi4+ routes audio through the lightning cable (audio pass-thru)

• edited August 2017

I have launchcontrol XL + Vestax pad One combo waiting for some stability updates to start messing with BM3.
    Another option/wish/hack could be frankenstize a Launchkey 49mk2. Not the best pads but interesting control options + rgb pads...

Since LC xl works flawless I left this idea aside maybe for the future or maybe Novation could drop something like... who knows?

• @5pinlink good way to share a design idea :)

Main thing that would make me back a kickstarter on this tho would be having A purpose built 'all-in-one'.. Pads/small keys + lots of small knobs + some of the most used buttons (with' func/shift +' abilities too if that's possible? Could also then apply to what the knobs did in conjunction.. Func+ knob automatically = macro.. Or fine tune... Or something..) + audio i/o + din midi i/o.... Hopefully BM3 will get someone hyped enough to make something like that...
  • Something like this layout could be very cool, but probably pretty expensive...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/islainstruments/kordbot-midi-chord-generator-arpeggiator-step-sequ

Could have 16 pads along the top instead of the 8 and a ton of small volca knobs where the grid of buttons is and an x/y where the screen is.. Pads + keys assignable to separate banks..

And possibly also maybe have a basic arpeggio/step sequencer onboard too?

Probably a flawed idea, but I'd definitly be down for something along those lines..
  • @william77 said:

@strizbiz said:

@Heyez said:

it should definitely be capable of. also the iconnect iconnectivity midi2+ and midi4+ routes audio through the lightning cable (audio pass-thru)

I use the Apogee Duet for Mac/IOS and it works great with midi and audio over lightning, and I also use a usb hu and use an Irig Keys and either an Apogee mic or Apogee jam at the same time, over lightning.

• edited August 2017

I love my bm3 controller....

Video soon to come..

• Lovely! Good job

• @selfinflict3 beast controller! Nice job :)
  • Woah! Looks so good!

• Shame Livid didn't made those anymore...

• @excesseye said:
    I'm happy with my Akai MPD226 for now, apart from some pad re-triggering issues (not BM3 related). No keys, and no i/o, but now I've mostly got it mapped how I want it, it's almost as if it were made for Beatmaker 3.

How did you do the knobs and faders? I have my MPD226 'Bank A' knobs assigned to macro control 1-4/faders 5-8, but can't seem to make them move in the mixer panel or anywhere else. Pads work fine. Thanks.

• I heard the mixer still isn't midi mappable as of yet can anyone confirm that?

• @jumpercollins said:
    I heard the mixer still isn't midi mappable as of yet can anyone confirm that?

You are right. This will be possible with global macros.

Cheers!

• Thanks for clearing that up.

• edited August 2017

• This would be perfect for me:

But I’d settle for a Maschine - almost looks like it was designed to work with BeatMaker 3, though it could use another couple of rows of knobs.

• This livid controllers are Nice but i doubt on the effiency of pad for finger drumming :neutral:

• @TheMediocritist said:

But I’d settle for a Maschine - almost looks like it was designed to work with BeatMaker 3, though it could use another couple of rows of knobs.

• Oh. It has ‘midi mode’ but relies on its own HID drivers. Blech.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I suppose I could laser cut an acrilyc case to house a Novation Launchkey+Launchpad+LaunchControl (all mini) and powered USB hub...

• @TheMediocritist said:
    Oh. It has ‘midi mode’ but relies on its own HID drivers. Blech.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I suppose I could laser cut an acrilyc case to house a Novation Launchkey+Launchpad+LaunchControl (all mini) and powered USB hub...

If you have it hooked to a computer, you can just send midi to ipad. I have traktor kontrol f1 controller(from native instruments, using same midi editor), and i think its great. I also had maschine mk1 borrowed from a friend for a few days when bm3 was on beta. I made a template for it and think it would work really well. But again as mentioned, you need to route midi through computer. I used bluetooth to send to ipad.

• I really wish somebody would make a Bluetooth pad controller.