BeatMaker 3.0.2 - Current status and change log

edited August 2017 in General

Current status: Live on the App Store.

What's new in BeatMaker 3.0.2

• Added 16 bank groups, each bank group has 8 banks, giving a total of 128 banks.
  • Added focus actions to jump to a specific bank group, and iterate to the previous or next bank group.
  • Added a MIDI Panic! button in the MIDI tab in the Settings screen.
  • Added the saturator effect to the main FX list.
  • Added an option to save a bank preset either in the current directory or in the main/general ‘Bank Presets’ directory.
  • Added a ‘Set value on all layers’ options in the parameter panel. This will set the current value on all layers, and also works for layer FX and modulators ‘siblings’.
  • Added the ‘auto-scale’ feature back from BM2 in the sample duration panel. This lets you pitch a sample on a specific bar length.
  • Added default layer gain in settings/general.
  • Added browser preview volume in settings/general.
  • Can now reset step modulator steps by double-tapping them.
  • Added full-screen option for step-modulator.
  • When double-tapping an hardware output track in the mixer, it will open the FX panel, like for AUX tracks.
  • Added current status text when scanning files (database update or reset).
  • Added error messages for network connection issues in the sound store.
  • New hard-reset option for database in settings/general. Use with care.
  • Fixed sample saving from audio tracks/clips.
  • Properly update steps after loading a step modulator preset.
  • Improved AUv3 instantiation and clearing.
  • Fixed IAA timestamps.
  • Fixed scrolling of history and error panels.
  • Fixed soundpacks restoration.
  • Fixed MIDI CC recording.
  • Fixed AUv3 FX screen keyboard event routing.
  • Fixed audio clip thumbnail after tempo changes and live stretch mode change.
  • Fixed an issue with voice stealing/killing of audio clips.
  • Fixed MIDI editor velocity values.
  • Fixed synchronization issue in the Step Modulator.
  • Fixed monophonic mode in the Step Modulator.
  • Fixed an issue where bank solo state would not recover properly after loading a session.
  • Fixed selection of samples after edition.
  • Fixed an issue that could occur with streaming and live stretch while editing a sample.
  • Fixed an issue with audio clip triggering.
  • Fixed import of samples and bank presets with custom categories and subcategories.
  • Fixed a race condition that could occur with multiple imports happening simultaneously.

Comments

• edited August 2017

:o 128 Banks!!!

• Good job !!!

• edited August 2017
    @5pinlink

Banks ARE 'instrument tracks' in BM3 ;) For the moment at least. I'm hoping they make it possible to save/load individual pads (+fx/params etc) as 'instruments' too tho...

"Added a ‘Set value on all layers’ options in the parameter panel. This will set the current value on all layers, and also works for layer FX and modulators ‘siblings’.".... good times right :)
  • "Added a ‘Set value on all layers’ options in the parameter panel. This will set the current value on all layers, and also works for layer FX and modulators ‘siblings’."

Hopefully this feature can be toggled on/off in the UI without having to go into settings menu every time...
    (I've been too busy to deeply test-drive 3.0.2 beta).

• @Heyez said:

"Added a ‘Set value on all layers’ options in the parameter panel. This will set the current value on all layers, and also works for layer FX and modulators ‘siblings’.".... good times right :)

I will reply because i think this was asking me directly.
    The answer is no, it is not good times, if you have to go to set a pref for this behaviour every time you want to use it, it will be a major pain, but even then it completely ignores BM3s samplers only major failing.

It has no global control, so you can't have one amp being modulated by modulators that is effecting all underlying layers of that pad, you can't have one filter that is being driven by modulators that is effecting all underlying layers of that pad.

Trying to work around it with a preference like this is no fix, the only real fix is for there to be a pad based amp/filter that can be modulated by modulators, they could just make pad effects be modulated by modulators and add a simple gain effect, that would fix it.

I am not going to go heavily in to this again, but just a reminder
    A super basic 3 layer (Oscillator) saw synth
    3 Samples
    3 Filters + 3 Envelopes
    3 Amps + 3 Envelopes
    Should actually be
    3 Samples
    1 Filter + Envelope
    1 Amp + Envelope

If you are still failing to see why BM3s way of doing that is not a resource issue, then so be it, but the fact remains, a global Filter and Amp are better, again, as a reminder, iPad resources are finite, not infinite, this is an iPad app, poor resource use should be considered, while this may be a good option, and it probably is very very useful, it is not even close to covering what i was talking about before .

@Heyez said:

Banks ARE 'instrument tracks' in BM3 ;) For the moment at least. I'm hoping they make it possible to save/load individual pads (+fx/params etc) as 'instruments' too tho...

Ok so is it a mistake on the webpage or a new feature in 3.0.2 ?
    Because there are no unlimited instrument/bank tracks, there are 8.

• @Heyez with 128 banks there's really no need. You can use your banks to make groups of different instruments though, like a guitar bank or a pads/strings bank. This way you can get more use out of the empty pads.
  • @LucidMusicInc I know what you're saying, I'll often make a sound on a pad that I'd like to bring in to another bank in a different project at some point in future tho ;)
  • @Heyez aye, it's a powerful idea.
  • @5pinlink Intua already said that fx will be modulatable at some point in an update + more modulation additions :) That's one I'm eager to see too ;)

I just figured that the 'control all layers' paramater with one knob' was a pretty cool option and temporary fix for what you were complaining about before? Double click on a layer param and select 'all layers and from then on you have your functionality? Will only take a couple of seconds...

And it gives more sound design/tweaking options re having different param behavior per layer etc. As opposed to the '3 layers = 1 filter and 1 env' thing you're ideally looking for..

Will be cool to see fx modulation added at some point tho for sure.
  • Again, and this is the last time i will mention it, for fear of another thread getting ruined, it is not so much about all the extra controls, it is much more about the wasted resources, as i said, this new feature looks like a great addition, however it is not a workaround or fix for what i spoke/complained about.

• single cycles.... yawn

• Its totally a valid workaround! It does exactly what you asked for in the other thread! Control a parameter over all layers with one knob...

I've had to use far more tedious workarounds for far simpler things in the past. Until fx modulation arrives, this option should suffice for me..

Re the resources thing, the stock filters/amp + envs etc use barely any cpu as far as I can see and a lot of sound design people are going to want a separate filter/amp on each layer...

I bought a new ipad after checking out BM3. Ipad mini 2 didn't have enough power for what I wanted to do. Imo there's only so much that people can expect intua to consider when it comes to saving resources. Like I wouldn't expect U-He Diva to work great on my ancient pc..

Having cpu resources allocated to having a filter and amp + envs 'per layer' isn't something they should be losing sleep over imo...seems fine/nice options to me?
  • I was wrong entirely, my mistake, I apologise.

• edited August 2017

This is great stuff Intua :-) Cheers!

Keep em coming, thick n fast. Love it.

So many little tweaks, additions and fixes.

I guess coding takes time, and some more than others, but I'm happy that you are listening and implementing. We might not have it all in one update but I see we will have it eventually.

Great Stuff, looking forward.

King

P.S; Cheers for answering my question, with this thread. ^

My Question:

https://intua.net/forums/discussion/4977/what-can-we-look-forward-to-in-the-update-3-0-2#latest

• edited August 2017
    @5pinlink I don't get why you react like that with the weird sarcasm? We're just discussing gear...

Believe it or not I was just trying to say 'look! some good news for you'..
  • As far as I see the 'work around' here needs to have an option in the UI for on/off while editing parameters as it is sometimes useful to have minor variations on each of the layers.

It is still no 'substitute' for a more effective way of processing the samples and modulation parameters.
    (Ie. mix say 2-3 layers together using the same set of parameters and pass them thru one set of amp and filter).

A modular approach to 'processing blocks' (Filters, Apps, Gainers, Saturators etc.) is one of the long-term solutions that would make sense. Meaning add filters and processing blocks on 'need to use' basis instead of a preset configuration of one amp and filter in a fixed configuration... (Right now you can't for example have both high and lowpass filters active on one layer with individual envelopes or other modulation sources for each).

• @samu agreed. An on/off toggle would be cool.

Would love to see an expansion on Elektron's 'ctr-all' functionality..it would solve it and then some... So there was a 'ctr-all' button in the left side column of BM3 and there were 3 levels to choose from - 'all layers', 'all layers on all pads in bank', 'all layers in all pads in all banks'...

As long as you hold the ctr-all button and make tweaks to params it will effect whatever of those 3 level options you have active. Also With an option to resign individual layers/pads/banks from being included... Would be next level for performance/recording automation....

The modular processing blocks would be a cool idea too. Tho if that kind of move is too much upheaval then hopefully they can just add more fx options to the 'layer FX' list and modulation....
  • edited August 2017

"New hard-reset option for database in settings/general. Use with care."

Hopefully this has a clarification pop-up, or you (Intua) could move it to the iPad settings where it was.. [BM2]. If it's something that can be tapped accidentally.

"Use with care" I'm cautious, but can't speak for all on this.

King

• @Heyez
    I also have an ipad mini2. I haven't gotten deep with BM3 just yet. I'm curious what your particular work flow was that M2 wasn't powerful enough.
    Thanks.
  • Cool to see the updates coming, I have faith this app will get there!

• @Blipsford Baubie couple things seemed to hit the Mini2 pretty hard. timestreching a samples and playing it polyphonically with lots of voices (one of these was OK but several in one session simultaneously started to choke OT) and also having more than a few synths/external apps running at once. Probably could have worked round most of it by recording to audio tracks and bouncing timestreched samples etc but bit of a vibe killer ;)
  • Yep love to see the frequent updates!
  • edited August 2017
    I think I will go and RTFM for awhile as I wait for the next update.
  • Any chance MIDI CC info on imported MIDI tracks will start to work with this update?

• @d4d0ug
    Yeah, not sure your issue with this website. But it doesn't allow me to quote from my phone. I have no problem on the AB forums with this.
  • edited August 2017

Tip of the Day!

Using some Smileys deletes everything after it (post-post)

Also a little more info about Quoting below:

https://intua.net/forums/discussion/4638/new-forum-is-great-but-still-teething#latest

King

• Great Job on the update.