Forthcoming 3.0.9 update

OK, since we're doing the last round of beta-testing, here are the notes of the upcoming update 3.0.9.
No precise ETA as of yet but it should be available relatively soon (TM) (C).

https://intua.net/forthcoming-3-0-9/

Cheers!

Comments

• Woah, huge list again !!!

• edited January 2018

Unlimited pad colours :smiley:

Audio track recording too... sweet,

• @mathieugarcia = Megaman ;) Great work dude, thanks!

• Woohoo!

"Sequencer
    Added an arm button to enable/disable track recording."

Rozeta time!

• Yes it's looking really good!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @triton100 said:
    There’s dribble coming out of the side of my mouth as I await... it’s not a good look ...

Lol.

• Great update, can’t wait. This however makes me think:

Focus-actions learning will discard MIDI data coming from apps and virtual MIDI sources.

That’s how I connect macros to Rozeta. What’s the official way to do this in the future?

• edited January 2018

Super stoked about the update! Some major love on the mixer this update. Getting a chuckle out of some of the release note wording and have a question.

Does anyone know what he means by this?
    When displaying the FX panel back, restore the position where it was left on.

My chuckles:
    “Dynamics” effect improvements. (In other words, the compressor/limiter/expander is probably way more prepared to handle dynamics sufficiently as an effect.)

When double-tapping the sequencer stop button, don’t send note off’s messages on all 128 keys and all 16 channels.(can’t stop giggling. I believe This is what was causing the audio engine to make some pretty nasty noises with AU/IAAs)

This will be a great update. Good job!

@whiteout if I’m understanding you correctly, when Rozeta is loaded as an AU, certain midi adjustments will be made in Rozeta itself, any AU parameters available will be mappable to macros as they were before.

Oh and major love to this Improvement (the small things are some of the biggest things):
    Parameters controlled by a macro will now act as macro knobs themselves, rather than displaying a panel to change/set the value.

• edited January 2018

@mefisme regarding the FX panel, I'm fairly sure that is referring to how in 3.0.8 (and probably prior), every time you open the FX panel it is scrolled to the top. in 3.0.9, if you scroll down the in the FX panel and then close the panel, the next time you open the panel you'll be greeted by the same controls that were visible the last time you looked at it. I'm assuming this is stored per bank/pad.

regarding @whiteout's question, I had the same question when I read the notes. pre 3.0.9, I would run Rozeta LFO with one of the LFOs active, so one midi cc# was being sent constantly, and then I'd turn on midi learn for a macro in order to set the LFO to control that macro. I don't know of any other way to set a macro to a specific cc# than via midi learn. this is more of a concern since while you can set a midi cc# on most controls in the bm3 UI, midi cc doesn't yet seem to work for anything except macros. I guess we could go and create some midi focus action templates with each macro programmed to some cc#, before installing the update, but that's not a good solution.

• edited January 2018

@ronji I'm guilty. I should not speak about Rozeta yet as I still haven't purchased and know nothing of how it works yet. I am still heavily focused on sequencing things independently (performance) and I'm reading Rozeta as a bunch of powerful midi controllers. So when the question arises of controlling an LFO in Rozeta because it's being ran in BM3 as an AU, my assumption to the worry is there is no way to assign midi learn in Rozeta? I hope I'm making sense of this. By this I mean letting Rozeta do the midi mapping? This of course i think cancels out BM3 out of the equation for any parameter. Yeah that would be a problem.

• edited January 2018

Focus-actions learning will discard MIDI data coming from apps and virtual MIDI sources.

On another note, This could mean with BM3 in an active playing/recording state but not in an idle state. If it’s set up this way it’s ideal. Meaning you won’t accidentally record any automations as you assign a focus action. Because right now it does. We will have to see, but I’m hoping that’s what is meant by these release notes. Discarding the midi data when record is enabled, not the inability to assign. If it’s not this, then BM3 would have just broke support for assigning things in real-time for not only Rozeta, but any IAA/AU. Don’t think they would do this. I think they are talking about the midi data being discarded from being captured in the pattern editor/automations while assigning a focus action.

• Is one of the bug fixes one that once you select your track type that the window auto fades away so you don’t have to tap somewhere else on the page to get it off the the screen?

• @stormywaterz said:
    Is one of the bug fixes one that once you select your track type that the window auto fades away so you don’t have to tap somewhere else on the page to get it off the the screen?

I don’t think so. What your talking about is the +Add track option and it is implemented to not fade out so you can add multiple banks/audio tracks/auxes at once. This is why it doesn’t fade away. So you don’t have to make multiple taps.

• @mefisme thanks for your input.

@mathieugarcia anything official on this focus actions/macros/AU midi plugins like Rozeta thing? How is connecting a Rozeta LFO to an AU synth going to work in 3.0.9? Thanks.

• edited January 2018

Well, I reverted the change, it will still be possible to bind actions from MIDI coming from other apps.

• @mathieugarcia Thanks. Perhaps it would be trivial to just add a pop-up to configure the macros manually, just like we get when we choose to modulate other controls with midi ;)

• edited January 2018

@ronji said:
    @mathieugarcia Thanks. Perhaps it would be trivial to just add a pop-up to configure the macros manually, just like we get when we choose to modulate other controls with midi ;)

You’re hinting at global macro Learn? EDIT: I mean are you hinting at global focus action learn? I definitely like how focus actions are self-contained in BM3 settings, but this idea is essentially like a global midi Learn in theory. Neat idea.

I do have a question for anyone or @mathieugarcia

What was the original intention for this to fix/improve? Was it causing problems? Because the way I see it, could still be implemented to prevent things from being captured to the pattern editor while assigning in real-time if that was even the problem in the first place.

• @mathieugarcia will this update have the minimisable audio recording window for recording performances to audiotracks?

• edited January 2018

@mefisme I’m just talking about the current focus actions settings page getting a new button or something that will pop up a small window to enable us to set the midi cc# for each macro manually vs learning, but hell why not any other applicable focus action in that page. The window pop up I’m thinking about is the same exact one you see when you go into the modulation options and choose midi on every other control in bm3.

I mean what I would really love is for this existing menu to actually work, and allow us to control any parameter with midi. The menu is right there! Why doesn’t it work? :bawling:

• edited January 2018

@ronji me too on cc modulations. Me too. You know it might be this extravagant surprise with 3.1. Who knows? Right now it’s like the cruelest tease ever. Lol. Maybe we don’t have it yet...

• Yeah, I mean I have to assume it’s part of the plan, and several users including myself have asked about this, haha, but alas. If there’s a problem that is fixed by disabling midi learn from hearing virtual midi, then perhaps the easiest fix for assigning virtual midi to focus actions is to just add that manual configuration pop up to the focus actions. I’m no developer, though, so chances are it’s not as easy as code copy pasta.

• edited January 2018

@ronji This is my big off the top of my crazy head guess...I like guessing. Lol.

the whole virtual midi/focus actions/CC modulations assigning globally will eventually rear its head in each specific panel.

3.09 hints at all kinds of things coming in the future. Especially the topic you responded about that was pulled from the update we haven’t received yet. Now, your suggestion (a panel within focus action settings) I wanted to elaborate on my original question. When I tagged you in this:

are you hinting at global focus action learn? I definitely like how focus actions are self-contained in BM3 settings, but this idea is essentially like a global midi Learn in theory. Neat idea.

I was complementing you to your idea of a panel to assign CCs inside settings, but instead of it being just in settings, I see it working in the future like the CC MODULATIONS panel or like the release notes say:

Parameters controlled by a macro will now act as macro knobs themselves, rather than displaying a panel to change/set the value.

All release notes hint to future plans! Numero Uno on that list is definitely a big one. iPhone prepping. It’s probably coming soon!

I’m only guessing but I see only two reasons you’d want to do this. Both @whiteout and you (@ronji) pointed out one of them as a very potential problem, but only if it were released...now.

And here are my guesses on this. Again I like to guess and dream.
    In a perfect future:
    Firstly, The settings focus actions screen would eventually become a container showing all midi maps for all parameters/focus actions similar to Ableton’s pop out window showing all mapping’s but not copying it’s design. This is one reason why you’d want to disable incoming data on this screen because....

...The settings screen would be one way to assign things, but wouldn’t be our primary way. :smile: It would all be done in each parameters (Ex. macro, modulate) associated panel. Working together in the background with the settings screen.

I’ve read it in the thread before somewhere. The quote was along these lines. “Sometimes you need to release, and then workaround the bugs and features you want to implement through your users.”

In a nutshell, You both probably saved the day.

Hope you enjoyed my extremely annoying and long post! The joker gif was actually an analogy to the psychology of app users and the development process. But this thread isn’t for that. Nobody caught it. Lol.

• @mathieugarcia Thank you.

(If you, however, discover a better and faster way to assign CCs, whether they’re coming from AU virtual midi apps or hardware, I’m all in :) )

• There are only two ways to assign MIDI CCs, MIDI learn and manual assign, EVERY piece of software (and i mean EVERY) should support both ways.

• Any release date for the update ? :)

• Probably next week!

• Bless you !