Beatmaker 3 now free?

Comments

• @5pinlink said:
    @KING
    what do you mean Intua knowing who is who ?
    A customer is a customer, as forum users we have the choice to not answer or give the free support we have done up till now, but Intua have to treat each customer equally, no matter how they got the software.

They could be changing their business model entirely to try and keep Beatmaker alive and kicking, we know nothing at all about their business.

I'd say its more like someone randomly finding something on the street outside of a store than being one of the 'customers' inside...

• @Heyez said:

@5pinlink said:
    @KING
    A customer is a customer, as forum users we have the choice to not answer or give the free support we have done up till now, but Intua have to treat each customer equally, no matter how they got the software.

They could be changing their business model entirely to try and keep Beatmaker alive and kicking, we know nothing at all about their business.

I'd say its more like someone randomly finding something on the street outside of a store than being one of the 'customers' inside...

That analogy makes no sense, surely it would be like something being for sale in the shop on Monday, then being given away for free by the shop on Tuesday, this isn’t some slimey way these people will be getting Beatmaker for free, Intua are giving it to them for free. (Which as stated already, I don’t agree with, but it’s nothing at all to do with me)

• edited January 2018

Anyway guys, I’ve been up all night (as usual). Zzz time..

(Hope Intua have some special stuff for NAMM season)..

King

• @5pinlink said:

@Heyez said:

@5pinlink said:
    @KING

That analogy makes no sense, surely it would be like something being for sale in the shop on Monday, then being given away for free by the shop on Tuesday, this isn’t some slimey way these people will be getting Beatmaker for free, Intua are giving it to them for free. (Which as stated already, I don’t agree with, but it’s nothing at all to do with me)

Agree to disagree ;)

• there is nothing random about this though, it is Intua giving it away, they aren’t the only developers on IOS struggling to survive, @brambos pretty much makes his apps for the love of it.

To be honest at this point and with my investment of time in the app I’m hoping Intua are about to say “OK guys it’s £25 a year susbscription, those who bought get a year free, those who got it free have to subscribe to update”
    Normally I despise subscription, but in the case of developers like Intua with monthly updates it is viable to me personally.

• Maybe we should have a conversation about value? These kinds of promotions are not a kick in the teeth to previous adopters. When you buy something and you actively use it, do you get your money's worth? I know my purchase has been well worth it. 6 months, 20-40 dollars. Do the math. Your still here. You don't hate the app as much as your say you do. You feel wronged only because you've experienced and been a part of the development process here in these forums.

• edited January 2018

Hey everyone,

I totally understand the disappointment but all this could, and hopefully would, make BeatMaker 3 better in the long run. We have to re-think ourselves and adapt to the iOS market. Let's face it, the paid model is dying.

Let's keep positive and move forward, we will keep working on BeatMaker 3, bringing more improvements & features, as per usual! The NAMM is a great opportunity to try something else. Sometimes it's good to give back to the community and try something crazy. Nothing is set in stone.

We're not ditching anyone, our awesome community supports us every day, but we have to be able to scale up as well with all the great projects we have planned in the upcoming months / years.

Hopefully, no hard feelings...!

Sincerely,
    Mathieu.

• edited January 2018

@mathieugarcia said:
    Hey everyone,

I totally understand the disappointment but all this could, and hopefully would, make BeatMaker 3 better in the long run. We have to re-think ourselves and adapt to the iOS market. Let's face it, the paid model is dying.

Let's keep positive and move forward, we will keep working on BeatMaker 3, bringing more improvements & features, as per usual! The NAMM is a great opportunity to try something else. Sometimes it's good to give back to the community and try something crazy. Nothing is set in stone.

We're not ditching anyone, our awesome community supports us every day, but we have to be able to scale up as well with all the great projects we have planned in the upcoming months / years.

Sincerely,
    Mathieu.

May I ask if we have some sort of support time frame with BM3? Are there long-term support plans for BM3 is this just to expand user base? Or will BM3 cease development long term? I'm just trying to find out if this particular Intua product will be compatible with future plans?

• @mefisme said:
    Maybe we should have a conversation about value? These kinds of promotions are not a kick in the teeth to previous adopters. When you buy something and you actively use it, do you get your money's worth? I know my purchase has been well worth it. 6 months, 20-40 dollars. Do the math. Your still here. You don't hate the app as much as your say you do. You feel wronged only because you've experienced and been a part of the development process here in these forums.

You're assuming quite a lot here ;)

I've finished like 4 throwaway songs in BM3. Down to abandoning most sessions/ideas due to bugs and workflow. Is that worth £25? Dunno. Maybe. Maybe not. Would I have finished more in Cubasis? AUM? Maybe. Maybe not. Did I pay for an unfinished product with listed features of transient sample detection and macros that don't glitch. Yes. Are other people getting the same product for free now? Yes. Without quite the same uphill climb that paying supporters have had? Yes.

The above doesn't feel like a great experience overall for me personally...

I'm still behind intua and BM3. Down to their continued effort and the potential of the app. If this move helps them longterm to refine the product I bought then fine. But if this is a step toward subscription then it'll be Bitwig and Surface Pro time for me instantly and I'll just view iPad as an instrument.

• @mathieugarcia said:
    Hey everyone,

Sincerely,
    Mathieu.

Thanks for posting about it. Hope it works out optimally for you guys and users :)

• BM2, released in 2011, last updated a few months ago. You're in for some time :-)

• @mathieugarcia said:
    BM2, released in 2011, last updated a few months ago. You're in for some time :-)

I'm confused... So no transient slicing etc til 2025? Kidding ;)

• @mathieugarcia said:
    BM2, released in 2011, last updated a few months ago. You're in for some time :-)

So supported until BM4 then lol

• edited January 2018

@Heyez your right. I assumed. But I’m trying to somehow look at this positively for all of us. These bugs and workflow problems from each perspective are deterrents to ones creativity. But how does that have anything to do with value of a twenty to fourty dollar app? I don’t want us to feel mistreated at all. I’m on all sides if possible. I just don’t see the relationship to the announcement. All i see in the thread here so far are exchanges in frustration condemning the brighter side of things.

I guess maybe I have a different philosophy. The value in the money exchanged for me has been in the time spent with the product. I bought “time” with something....this is all we really do in my opinion. We spend and earn time.

• edited January 2018

I see what intua is probably thinking. App is free for a short period. People will definitely buy packs because they will like they got a great deal. Instead of buying one some people might buy the whole store. This will also help other developers since BM3 supports AU, IAA,ect...I'm not mad and I bought it on release day. All I ask is to be added to the beta team. Hansjbs@yahoo.com ;) @mathieugarcia

• Whats the fascination with being on the beta, you mention it often.
    You get monthly updates as it is and can report isdues here in the forum hahaha.

• I fear this is only leading up to BM3 being subscription only which I don't like. If this is the case then it's a damn shame because BM3 was awesome.

• edited January 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Whats the fascination with being on the beta, you mention it often.
    You get monthly updates as it is and can report isdues here in the forum hahaha.

To each their own. I’m a beta tester for Auria Pro, FL studio Mobile, iMPC Pro, and so on. I love and enjoy everything to do with music and I’m also an engineer who enjoys that kinda stuff, finding issues and solving problems. I buy, fix and sell items people use to make music with from eBay and sometimes keep some for myself. So what I’m fascinated by being on the beta? Does that help you better understand why now?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Does anyone remember when Animoog was offered for 99 cents in 2011? Yes it is a synth and it was 7 years ago but it is still regarded as one of the best instruments on IOS. Intua wants to create buzz during NAAM and they have. All of my accounts are in uproar over the price drop lol. I do not regret paying $20 for an app 6 months ago that I used every day. I can relate to some people's frustrations, but imagine if all that energy was used to finish a song :) >:)

• I feel a song forming...

Woke up this morning..
    Beatmakers gone free
    Looked in my wallet..
    Nothing to see...

• @hansjbs said:
    Does that help you better understand why now?

No not really.

• I'd be mad if I just purchased the App in the last few days but I got it at launch and have spent a good 50 or so hours fucking around in it so I got my moneys worth. I've not finished anything that I would consider releasing but that's my own problem really.

• @Hirokoaiisdead said:
    I'd be mad if I just purchased the App in the last few days but I got it at launch and have spent a good 50 or so hours fucking around in it so I got my moneys worth. I've not finished anything that I would consider releasing but that's my own problem really.

If you had just purchased it, you could always ask for a refund, and then get it for free.
    As it has already been said, I got it when it was released, at the introductory price, and I have been very happy with it
    No problem if some people can now have it for free!

• edited January 2018

Come on.. some of you are acting as if this is unusual behaviour on the iOS app store.

Every week there are things going free that I paid for, things being reduced that I paid full price, and things going back up that I got free - this is just every day life in the digital economy!

Speaking for myself, I chose to pull the trigger on BM3 at launch, as I already could tell it would be something pretty special (just like Nanostudio will be in Q2 2018). I'm glad I did buy BM3 at launch... and perhaps I feel a little guilty for only paying 50% of the standard price as an early adopter. I've certainly got my money's worth since July (despite a few bugs along the way) and have no regrets. Note - I also picked up Auria and Cubasis half price during their various promotions (it happens every few months), and though they have never been free, they also more than justify their full price tags.

To be honest, I would expect all serious iOS musicians to have bought BM3 before the 50% launch price ended (it lasted over a month ffs!) so I'm not too bothered about a few casual people now picking it up free at NAMM.

Intua will have made this decision after looking at sales data, and trying to adapt to the ebbs and flows of the market... and as much as they will want to support the niche community of hardcore users on this forum, ultimately they have to secure their future financial situation above all else.

(ps. I'm one of those lucky guys who managed to pick up Animoog, Sunrizer and Magellan for £0.99 each)

• I don't really mind the free part at all.

In spite of what I wrote earlier, I HAVE had £20 worth of fun/amusement from it without a doubt. I think I just snap reacted out of concern that it's leading toward subscription. But there's nothing so far to indicate this so I'm chilled now ;)

As always, good luck to intua with it all.

• I couldn't care less about how much i paid, but i am worried that updates will be slowing down now.

• I also got BM3 for the 50% off launch price, and I still love it and have spent a lot of time with it. I got BeatHawk for free at some point, but guess what - I don't like it and I never use it. This deal will get BM3 out to a lot of people who maybe were on the fence about it, or didn't know about it, or who are just so lucky that they're looking when this sale happened. It will put BM3 in the hands of so many more people. Those people are likely to buy the packs from the store, whereas they never would have if they never took the plunge to buy the app at full or even half price. More people showing their friends this awesome app, lookit what they can do with their iPad! Think of the increase in views for youtube channels that have already covered BM3 a lot in their videos. You think HennyThaBizness wishes he never paid for BM3? He has made countless tracks with it - he's a producer.

BM3 will go back to full price or half off or whatever they choose after NAMM. People who don't even have an iPad yet will get one after the sale is over, they'll see all this buzz about the app, and they'll buy it. This is not the end of the world, y'all. If you just paid for BM3 and you feel cheated, go ahead and try and get a refund. Intua owes nothing to anyone just because they put BM3 up for free for a week or a month or forever.

You know what I did when I heard this news? I shared Intua's post on FaceBook, and I'll tell everyone I know that has an iPad that they need to go download this while it's free. Hopefully I'll get some more users that I can collab with.

• @5pinlink I also enjoy beta testing like @hansjbs. I like getting the latest version of something, testing, finding and fixing problems, having input on things, before the release comes out, hoping to have helped fix some issues before it gets in the general public's hands. To each their own. I spend enough of my time helping find problems with the release product, and I don't feel like I'd have time to beta test, but I'm glad some people do. I signed up to beta test Auria Pro, and I got in, but I never had time to beta test it, and in the end I never use Auria Pro anyway. There's something about BM3.

• edited January 2018

I paid something like $25 six months ago and got about $400 out of it.

burp

This discussion has been closed.