Discussion on 3rd party eq/compression (vs built-in)
Lately I've been tempted to pick up some of the most useful looking 3rd party EQ and compression AUv3 effects, and I wondered what everyone's opinion on these were vs the built-in parametric eq and dynamics tools.
The 4 I am most interested in are:
- Zmors EQ
- DDMF 6144 EQ (emulation of Neve Portico 5033)
- DDMF NY Compressor
- FAC Maxima (is this a compressor too, or just a limiter?)
- The Zmors seems great for sound sculpting, but - apart from the m/s options - is it really any better than the built in EQ?
- The 6144 EQ looks like a really nice way to boost freqencies and add shimmer more transparently than cheaper EQs.
- The NYCompressor seems a far better option for my needs - ie drum compression - than Intua's dynamics, or the free Rough Rider 2.
- Maxima looks nice, but is it really just a limiter? In which case it probably doesn't belong in the mixing stage.
Does anyone have experience witht these, or advise if they are noticebly better than the built-in options?