Why is BeatMaker 3 crashing often ?

Comments

• @groovey said:

@ronji said:
    It's not an easy work flow to get into, but a lot of producers work that way. Design, bounce to audio, rearrange and tweak. It helps if you keep the instruments in a separate session or saved to a bank so you can go back and tweak and renounce if necessary. I'm really trying this work flow out on the current battle.

But the whole point is to try and stop b3 from crashing by not having any instruments loaded up, so am not clear how you can keep them in the bank in case you need to rebounce, as the crashing will still happen

You can't have one session with endless banks of live instruments, but you can have separate sessions or saved banks that aren't always loaded with each other. You can make a session or bank for "battle 10 drums" and "battle 10 bass" etc. If you save a bank, you can unload it and reload it later with all the patterns and presets you were designing.

• @ronji said:

@groovey said:

@ronji said:
    It's not an easy work flow to get into, but a lot of producers work that way. Design, bounce to audio, rearrange and tweak. It helps if you keep the instruments in a separate session or saved to a bank so you can go back and tweak and renounce if necessary. I'm really trying this work flow out on the current battle.

But the whole point is to try and stop b3 from crashing by not having any instruments loaded up, so am not clear how you can keep them in the bank in case you need to rebounce, as the crashing will still happen

You can't have one session with endless banks of live instruments, but you can have separate sessions or saved banks that aren't always loaded with each other. You can make a session or bank for "battle 10 drums" and "battle 10 bass" etc. If you save a bank, you can unload it and reload it later with all the patterns and presets you were designing.

Ok and of course when you save a bank with some instruments in it, it will also save the patterns too AND the AU fx AND therefore all the associated FX automation. Which means this is a way is saving automation and going back to it if you have printed your instrument to an audio file after all. That’s interesting. I will also try bouncing audio a lot more now too. It’s a hassle saving the banks each time but at least it’s a workaround.

• Definitely looking forward to BM3 becoming as stable as BM2.

• @ronji said:

If i am creating an album, i create an awesome s*** ton of loops and hits in a single folder, that becomes the albums backbone, I have always worked this way, doesn’t matter what genre, even with rock i split the guitars in to loops lol.

• edited July 2018

I never work with patterns, scenes or timeline aspects of BM3, I host my entire session in a single bank (inc 2-3 AU instruments), I only have 2-3 FX (native eq and compression) across my whole session, and I can honestly say that if I I’m not touching those arranging elements, it’s 100% stable — I’ve never had a single crash with that workflow.

Obviously for some people’s workflow that’s just not viable, as the arrangement features are definitely a major part of the package. Personally I only use BM3 for live performance and all my MIDI is coming in from either controllers or an external sequencer, with all FX processing happening in AUM on a second device.

However, if I try to record one pattern.. record to timeline.. start playing with transport.. Bam, crash.

• I must be the luckiest person alive with crashes !

• It would be sooo happy the day I can run at least 16 AU instances without crashing in BM3. If GarageBand can do it, then Intua has something to aspire to.

• True, it crash a lot...but it indeed intend to manage also a lot...
    I managed to crash it without even running / playing midi , just by receiving midi , or seems to be...
    Midi live packets seems to slow down everything, I suspect a lack of ram...

• I just started having this issue today. If I load an AUv3 plug-in and hit record, Beatmaker crashes. This just started happening for me
    today and I cannot get rid of it. I tried restarting several times. Hoping for an update soon. Until then, think I have to move over to GarageBand...

• @dafingaz said:
    I just started having this issue today. If I load an AUv3 plug-in and hit record, Beatmaker crashes. This just started happening for me
    today and I cannot get rid of it. I tried restarting several times. Hoping for an update soon. Until then, think I have to move over to GarageBand...

Dude I wrote pretty much the same post as you and a lynch mob here tried to come at me ha ha. So before any ‘helpful’ people decide to do the same again, have you checked all of your associated AU and IAA synth and fx plugins. For me i eventually found it was the AU perforator that caused the instant crash issue.

• A lynch mob came at you, please link to this so that i can moderate it, i must have completely missed it.

• @dafingaz check for any MIDI AU too, they seem to be a complete mess right now in B3.

I think using GB may be a good idea for a lot of people right now, it does seem that certain features in B3 are destroying peoples ability to make anything.

• edited July 2018

@groovey @5pinlink thanks! Got it all working again. That session seemed to be corrupt somehow. Opened a new one and all is working. Thanks!

• edited July 2018

I'm here to investigate a potential violation of the B3 user's code, Section 5 clause 3:

"Mentioning other iOS or desktop DAWs, specifically in the context of abandoning B3 as the result of failing to workaround or manage one or more 'vibe-killing' glitches"

Penalty: a week at Lieutenant Colonel 5pinlink's "pull yourself together, soldier!" boot camp.

• Alright. I think a few of you need a little bit of a reality check.

You want to run dozens of instances of plugins made by small teams in a host that's also built and maintained by a small team. You want to run these dozens of instances on a device that costs half of what a decent laptop would, with specs that reflect that. You're wanting to run all of these plugins on a device that has TWO gigs of ram and you want this setup to work on a 512 or less sample rate.

Demanding that workload and expecting stability is ludicrous. Give me a break!

• edited July 2018

@groovey said:

@dafingaz said:
    I just started having this issue today. If I load an AUv3 plug-in and hit record, Beatmaker crashes. This just started happening for me

Dude I wrote pretty much the same post as you and a lynch mob here tried to come at me ha ha. So before any ‘helpful’ people decide to do the same again, have you checked all of your associated AU and IAA synth and fx plugins. For me i eventually found it was the AU perforator that caused the instant crash issue.

That's a known issue in the current BM3 implementation of MIDI routing. Perforator sends out MIDI, and apparently this causes an infinite MIDI loop when recording. The same issue probably occurs when using other effects which send out MIDI, such as FAC Envolver, etc.

The workaround for now is to go into BM3's settings panel and disable "Route all MIDI to selected pad".

:)

• @brambos said:

@groovey said:

@dafingaz said:

That's a known issue in the current BM3 implementation of MIDI routing. Perforator sends out MIDI, and apparently this causes an infinite MIDI loop when recording. The same issue probably occurs when using other effects which send out MIDI, such as FAC Envolver, etc.

The workaround for now is to go into BM3's settings panel and disable "Route all MIDI to selected pad".

:)

@brambos thanks mr brambos sorry was going to add that to my post but had already logged out and rushing off. Cheers mate

• @XanderJames LOL. I never run more than 3 plugins at once, and very rarely more than 1 (since the crashing bug). I run 1, convert to audio do it all over again and usually end up with maybe 8 tracks at the most. The bug I was having was if I just opened 1 bank with 1 plugin (AUV3 or internal sounds) and hit the record button, BM3 would crash. Seems to be a fluke session I had and all is back to normal. If someone wants to hand me a maxed out iPad Pro though I will gladly accept it. LOL...

• Sorry @dafingaz I was directing my comment more towards those who were griping about having to print to audio. Sounds like you and I have a similar workflow. I just do a save before and after every print. Not ideal, but it's second nature at this point.

• @XanderJames Yeah. It is a good habit. I also need to backup all of my BM3 files. I have Dropbox and will probably back up to that and possibly an external HD. What backup options do you use?

• I pay for Google Drive so it's a bit more of a hassle, but I back up two folders. First, I have a 'User Samples' Folder I organize all of my favorite sounds in. Second is just the sessions folder. I just find both of them in the files app and select 'move' and then dump them into Drive > Beatmaker 3 Backups

• Good idea! I might do something similar in Dropbox and maybe use Google (or Amazon or iCloud...so many options) as a 2nd backup.

Thanks!

• No problem! :smile:

• edited July 2018

The sound engines for IAA apps are still in general better than AU right now. Not having IAA work but advertising that your app supports it is unethical and bad. You can’t tell people “just don’t do this and don’t do that”—all stuff the app advertises as being able to do. What are you gonna tell people “don’t use Animoog.” 😂

BM3 crashes like clockwork every single time I open it to do ANYTHING. Sampling, AU, IAA, using samples only. It doesn’t matter, and usually for some brand new reason every time. Like this morning I sample Sunrizer synth from AudioShare, I didn’t even load it in BM3, just loaded samples from AudioShare after recording there and boom—when I switch to 64 pad view and play them, it crashes. Of course I shared the session in bug reports. But, I would literally be sharing every single session I ever create doing anything ever in BM3 but I just don’t want to spam the forums.

It may not be normal for you, but it IS normal for me and many others.

IAA is here to stay and relevant on iOS and will be for a long time. No one is giving up their Animoog, their Patterning, their Elastic Drums, or their Xynthesizer, or their iVCS3, or their Thor, or whatever, just so they can use crashy BM3. BM3 is the closest thing to a DAW on iOS and it is just failing so hard for so many people because it just doesn’t work for them.

I was excited to make music this morning, and then was just let down cause I couldn’t even sample my synth—like, sample my synth—-a basic action in any DAW, because it led to a corrupt bank and a crash.

Tomorrow if I got up and tried to do something else with BM3, I guarantee I’d be sending in a new session.

@5pinlink I’d love for you to download my session and give it a whirl.

• I’ve recently switched to the common production method of working with bounced audio clips made with midi or performance precisely because of the unstable nature of iOS.

After being too frustrated and having so little fun trying to make music, I realized I had to change something, and it was ditching trying to sync and midi automate IAA and AUs in a host. The whole iPad became modular and now AUM is used to load sound generators and design a sound to sample raw or an entire multi instrumental loop I EQ and compress and effect chain right there and then. Both of these, sounds or entire loops are saved in Audioshare and open into banks in BM3.

BM3 is supposed to be my beat maker, arranger, resampler, and recorder, arranging and stitching and mangling and editing what’s loaded into the bank pads, loops or sounds, into an audio song with the timeline and scenes, adding effects and delays and reverbs and recording again into a fresh audio track so I don’t need to have AU or IAA effects running.

Then final stems are sent to Cubasis to finish with Waves and do final touches.

Even in this audio based, diversified workflow (AUM loads all IAA and AU seamlessly flawlessly perfectly with like, 1 crash every 6 months), using every thing to its strengths, working with only sampling in audio mostly in BM3, the weakest link in this otherwise very stable, diversified, strength focused iOS workflow, is BM3. And it breaks my heart. I hope this update brings some improvement.

• edited July 2018

IAA does work in B3, but as with most other host apps it is a pain. IAA was added to audio apps to make using multiple audio apps more bearable, but AUv3 is the future of iOS audio apps. BeepStreet is updating all of their apps and removing IAA and AB functionality in favor of AUv3. Moog is adding AUv3 functionality to its apps too, including Model D and Model 15, and Animoog will probably be updated in the same fashion.

There are bugs that need fixing, and Intua has been hard at work on the next major update, 3.1, ever since 3.0.10 was released in November 2017. In that time there have been updates to apps that introduce issues in B3, bugs have surfaced, iOS has been updated, and yes we need 3.1 to save us from these issues. It’s coming, but we are ost likely not getting any other point releases until 3.1 is released. We’ll likely then get a string of bug fix updates once 3.1 is in the wild, as we did when 3.0 was released to the wild last year.

• Am I allowed to ask if anyone has an ETA on when 3.1 will be released?

• You can ask..

But the answer will always be the same: when it's ready.

;)

• I'm new to BM and yea I've noticed this too. Especially if you leave it sitting without messing with it foe a bit. It has also messed up while loading samples to the pads or I'll loads up sounds at if it doesn't lag meaning it's late or doesn't work at all they load up but woun't work. Frustrating as hell.

• I have neve had any of those issues, do the samples load and then all of a sudden they dont load ?