Learning about electronic music

Hello there people!

I was always an "only rock guy". I know a lot about rock from punk to hard rock. I love 90's rock. I always said that electronic music was not form. But since some years I like a lot electronic music.

Problem is that my head is full of rock, and I want to start learning about all related to electronic. So, I started to listen some artist, but I would like to have some suggestions to what is the core of the electronic music.

I'm listen you!

«1

Comments

  • The key for me is the beat. Bass Drum & Snare for a start.
    I too started out in rock and metal music, playing the guitar, Metallica, AC/DC, RATM, Joe Satriani, etc.
    I heard Squarepusher, Autechre, Chris 'The Glove' Taylor, J Dilla, Timbaland, Roni Size, Amon Tobin, etc.
    I learned by trying to mimic what they were doing: the complex drum programming, groove & swing, sampling, & audio synthesis using computer software, wasting time & money trying lots of hardware, etc.
    Spending a lot of time in the Piano Roll painting MIDI, adding modulations, editing, is the key for me. There are lots of plugins now that make it easier, but learning & practicing for a long time is key.

    Check out these YouTube channels:

  • imho, that is a very hard question to answer as electronic music is just as wide and varied as rock.

    One suggestion:

    1. Go here: https://www.beatport.com/

    2. Listen to multiple different genres until you start vibing one of them more than the others.

    3. Listen to many more artists in that genre.

    4. Don't hate on the other genres just because you do not like them as much - we all have different tastes.

    5. Make as much music as possible and have as much fun doing it as possible.

      <3

  • Oh sorry, my english is not enough good to make the question, so here it goes again:

    What artist do you recomend to listen to start building a playlist in my head. I mean, create electronic culture on me. I have that on rock, I can speak for hours about it :D

  • It might be more difficult to recommend a random artist in all of “electronic” music than in all of rock music. I recommend getting on Spotify and listening to their playlists for things. Can you give me at least one song or artist that you definitely like and want to hear more like them? Or do you know any styles you like? I’m a drum & bass fanatic, but I also like electro, dance, disco, house, hip hop, etc. etc.

  • If you want to listen to the core of electronic music, listen to Mozart, Beethoven, Bach etc, Einaudi is a great choice too, once you have an appreciation for classical, move to soundtracks, work your way back from modern to the 50s, make sure you check out covers of soundtracks as well as the orignals, Italian soundtracks of the 60s are a particular boon, once you have an appreciation for the soundtracks, listen to dancefloor music from the mid 70s until today
    70s Disco
    80s Electropop
    90s Terrible pop rave
    00s Terrible x factor crap
    Once you have an appreciation for popular dance culture, start listening to the underground dancefloor culture from the mid 80s to the 2000s.
    Electro HipHop
    Acid House
    Garage
    Hardcore
    Techno
    Jungle
    Gabba
    DnB
    Once you have an appreciation for those, move on to the current throw the kitchen sink at it processed dance genres..............

    As you see t can go on and on, who exactly do you like ?

  • Listen to Kraftwerk.

  • edited September 6

    Listening to the first 10 years of Warp records is a pretty good education.

    Includes Aphex Twin, Autechre, Plaid, Boards of Canada, LFO, Squarepusher, etc.

    Lots of good releases in 1997/98 if you don't have time to start at the beginning :)

  • Go back through the Resident Advisor album reviews and have a listen. So many great releases over the years.

  • edited September 6

    @5pinlink said:
    If you want to listen to the core of electronic music, listen to Mozart, Beethoven, Bach etc, Einaudi is a great choice too, once you have an appreciation for classical, move to soundtracks, work your way back from modern to the 50s, make sure you check out covers of soundtracks as well as the orignals, Italian soundtracks of the 60s are a particular boon, once you have an appreciation for the soundtracks, listen to dancefloor music from the mid 70s until today
    70s Disco
    80s Electropop
    90s Terrible pop rave
    00s Terrible x factor crap
    Once you have an appreciation for popular dance culture, start listening to the underground dancefloor culture from the mid 80s to the 2000s.
    Electro HipHop
    Acid House
    Garage
    Hardcore
    Techno
    Jungle
    Gabba
    DnB
    Once you have an appreciation for those, move on to the current throw the kitchen sink at it processed dance genres..............

    As you see t can go on and on, who exactly do you like ?

    I know Mozzart, Bach and Bethoven, and many others, I'm a musician after all and my daughter is pianist so classic is something exist in my family for years. Maybe you could just say "listen to that artist, I like it"... I asked for recommendations :p

    @tk32 that's a good starting point, thanks!
    @GusGranite checking right now, looks nice!

  • edited September 6

    The point of my post was to show the vastness of "Electronic music" as you call it, you have given no indication of the the type of "Electronic music" you have interest in, you just say "Electronic" which basically covers every form of music recorded since the 1950s, rock is "Electronic' unless it is acoustic, so give a bit more insight.

  • @5pinlink said:
    The point of my post was to show the vastness of "Electronic music" as you call it, you have given no indication of the the type of "Electronic music" you have interest in, you just say "Electronic" which basically covers every form of music recorded since the 1950s, rock is "Electronic' unless it is acoustic, so give a bit more insight.

    Yes, but because we are mature people, we can think and say, as others said before, what do you like. Man, I'm asking for recomendations, not to get a degree in electronic music :p

  • edited September 6

    Ok im done, listen to the battles here, thats good enough, good luck ;)

  • In a more abstract way 5pin is of course correct, but it's a little too 'meta' for what was asked ;)

    Besides, nothing upsets people quicker (myself included) than when you point out the fallacy in their line of questioning.

    I hope @amunocis gets both some straightforward recommendations from this thread.. and some more intellectual food for thought too :)

    All I'm saying is Gödel, Escher, Bach

  • edited September 6

    It isnt fallacy, just too wide ranging, which was my point, example.....
    I really got used to living inside a bubble most my life because i had a breathing deficiency, they cured me and now i love oxygen (oh dont forget to listen to JMJ by the way) please recommend me the best oxygen to go and breath.

    The question itself needs some qualifiers...

    Im getting in to electronic stuff, loving stuff with synthesized beats.
    Im getting in to electronic stuff, loving those detuned sort of lead sounds.
    Im getting in to electronic stuff, really loving the pumping basslines.
    Etc etc etc.

    I dont really want to point him to all the Neuro im in to, for him to hate it, when he could say "Loving slower stuff with chopped vocals" ok go check out early todd edwards.

  • But ok, ill play
    Noisia
    Diode
    Stakka and skynet
    RAM records
    Audio
    DJ Hazzard
    Aphrodite
    Roughneck Records
    Midtown Records
    Stay up forever collective
    NWA
    Jungle brothers
    Run DMC
    Hijack (hiphop, not the dance garbage)
    Kamanchi Sly
    Gunshot
    All Britcore in fact
    Schooly D
    Ghetto boys
    Jean Michel Jarre
    Meco
    Queens soundtrack work

    That will do for now, go learn.

  • Tuff crew
    World class reckin cru
    King Bee
    Magic Mike (miami, not the film)
    Scratch pickles
    Dr octagon
    Scratch perverts
    Mixmaster mike
    Force Mass Motion
    Prodigy
    Nile rogers
    Bomb da bass
    William Orbit
    Massive attack
    Eurythmics
    More to follow

  • And be sure to let us know what you liked after you listen to all this music hahaha

    On the DNB tip lately I’ve been really about Culture Shock, Rockwell, Dawn Wall, Dimension, and we’ll heres my playlist:
    https://open.spotify.com/user/djronji/playlist/1a9LWKfzoKpCeuxgY9MfCY?si=0jCNINAVQHWFQcvhj96pkQ

  • @5pinlink said:
    I really got used to living inside a bubble most my life because i had a breathing deficiency, they cured me and now i love oxygen (oh dont forget to listen to JMJ by the way) please recommend me the best oxygen to go and breath.

    If you live in Chile I would recommend INDURA (http://www.indura.cl/web/cl), since is a company with 50 years, and all the hospitals use their products in Chile. But I think you live in GB.

    That's an answer :)

  • @amunocis said:
    That's an answer :)

    Also completely proved my point ;)

  • Ok, I'm done

  • Why ?
    There is a huge list of music given, are you not even going to listen to any of it ?

  • edited September 6

    Can everybody stop being 'done'.

    Please. :p

  • Dun da dun dun dun.

  • When writing your dissertation, you will want to review these:
    Morton Subotnick, Barron brothers, Walter/Wendy Carlos, Kraftwerk, Vanilla Ice.
    Silver Apples of the Moon, Forbidden Planet soundtrack, Switched on Bach, Autobahn, Ice Ice Baby.

  • edited September 6

    Ewwwww Walter/Wendy great call !!! (Especially Tron)
    That will even get you a pass for Vanilla Ice lol.

  • edited September 6

    Karlheinz Stockhausen.

    (Mic drop)

  • edited September 7

    Oh yeah, forgot Stockhausen & Brian Eno. Tangerine Dream too. Ambient music be good music. Edit: Add Vangelis, Jarre, ....

  • If the surface of the Earth was scorched by nuclear war, and you are forced to live underground - You are allowed to keep one electronic music album, what would it be?

    For me it would be either Techmaster P.E.B. - Bass Computer 2000, Autechre - Chiastic Slide, Boards of Canada - Geogaddi, or Enya.

  • edited September 6

    John Cage
    Delia Derbyshire
    BBC Radiophonic Workshop
    White Noise (UK band)
    United States of America (US band)
    Raymond Scott (Soothing sounds for baby, etc.)

    (Note - this is not a response to @MSandoval's question, that would take me longer to figure out :))

  • @MSandoval said:

    If the surface of the Earth was scorched by nuclear war, and you are forced to live underground - You are allowed to keep one electronic music album, what would it be?

    For me it would be either Techmaster P.E.B. - Bass Computer 2000, Autechre - Chiastic Slide, Boards of Canada - Geogaddi, or Enya.

    Not just because it fits perfectly with the question, but because it is awesome too, probably War of the worlds, not strictly electronic, but good enough.

Sign In or Register to comment.