Show us your BM3 rig!

Hey all,
What about sharing our BM3 rigs? Hardware controllers, audio and midi interfaces, etc. that play well (or those that should be avoided) with BM3, etc.

Comments

• edited February 2020

Mine is very simple...

...not even sure you could call it a rig.

On the go:

• iPad + BM3 + Headphones

At home:

• Above + Korg NanoKEY Studio + Korg MicroKEY Air 61

Everything is bluetooth, except for the headphones ;)

• iPad Pro 12.9 1st gen. Alesis idock 2. Nektar 88 keyboard. Roland SE-02. Korg Minilogue XD. Denon 9” cd/usb turntable. Technics SL1210. Desktop with Cubase 10... Vermona retroverb.

I now start all my tracks on BM3 and finish them in Cubase. Although BM3 is so buggy it’s almost unusable.
    Preying for an update soon

• iPad 9.7", BM3, korg nanokey 2, headphones / aux port in vehicle
    ...less mobile version adds a usb hub, yamaha MSP5 monitors, audient id14, microbrute, juno 60.

• Do your iPads manage to power your keyboards/controllers?
    Mine doesn't...

• My current setup:
    iPad 10.5"
    Arturia AudioFuse (it's the only audio/midi interface with phono inputs that I've found - have you guys found any other?)
    Lightning to lightning+USB adapter
    Akai MPK mini
    Pro-Ject turntable
    Headphones

I'll try Launchpad Xs in a near future.

• Although BM3 is so buggy it’s almost unusable.

Preying for an update soon

What are your specific issues?

• @pask74 said:
    My current setup:
    iPad 10.5"
    Arturia AudioFuse (it's the only audio/midi interface with phono inputs that I've found - have you guys found any other?)
    Lightning to lightning+USB adapter
    Akai MPK mini
    Pro-Ject turntable
    Headphones

I'll try Launchpad Xs in a near future.

Keith mcmillen k-mix has phono preamp built-in

• edited February 2020

I use BM3 mostly live without any hardware just to feel free. It triggers samples, plays wav files. Sometimes I would like to connect it to audiointerface, but in fact I need most minimal setup live without any midi-controllers.
    If I'm at home with my gear it can be combination with Arturia Beatstep or my Keyrig 25 or anything else).

• Cool. How you find the RX-7? I used to have an RX-15 but it broke. :-(

• @The_Bro said:
    Cool. How you find the RX-7? I used to have an RX-15 but it broke. :-(

It has old-fashioned interface where they hide some menus and actions to save space. You could simply set volume for sounds in RX-5, but this had only stereo-output and tweaking sounds is a mess. Really it is more simple to program beat with Volca beats for me. Sounds are simple, you can get them with downloading sample packs. So... it's useless as a module I think. Just sample it and use then)

• @bargale said:
    Keith mcmillen k-mix has phono preamp built-in

Good to know, thanks!

• I have the basic (2018 model) iPad. Good enough on that front, and it still has an actual headphone jack built in, fortunately.

I cycle through many things as controllers, mostly using the lightning camera kit adapter, and sometimes a powered USB hub, but sometimes bluetooth, to connect controllers.

I like the pads and knobs on my Korg Nanokey and AKAI MPK Mini, but the keys on my Reface DX or Casio (cheapo!) CTK feel better than most controllers, at least to me.

The arranger and mini-synth are powered by their own batteries, so they are easy to hook up, in contrast to the MPK, which seems to require a powered USB hub (sometimes it will work with "only" external power to the camera kit, but usually a battery is too low, or things were plugged/started in the wrong order). Bluetooth stuff is easy too, of course.

The $100 Casio arranger has the advantage that I can put the iPad on it's music stand, which is very convenient. It also can help you jump start some drum patterns by sending its own patterns out via USB, with MIDI sync.

• Regarding using arranger keyboards as controllers: Yamaha arrangers also have class compliant USB audio, so you can send audio both ways between the keyboard and your iPad (I have tried this in the music store, it's a nice feature). But I already have an arranger with USB, and don't need another one.

• Here is the configuration I was playing with last weekend: https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/7962/scaling-the-clouds#latest

The Reface DX is sending MIDI both ways with the iPad, and the headphone jack of the iPad is connected to the aux-in jack of the 'DX, all of it running off of internal batteries.

The audio interface on the table is actually hooked up to my phone to record the line-out merged audio from the 'DX, rather than using an amp, or only headphones. It's not involved in any of the actual playing/listening.

• Cool stuff, thanks!

What is that mini keyboard with 16 small pads?

• @StudioES said:
    @Roboprog Can the Reface DX's synth engine be 'de-coupled' from the keyboard (Local Off) & also receive MIDI on a different MIDI channel from what its keyboard is sending? i.e.-keyboard sends on MIDI CH1, synth engine receives on MIDI CH7. Thanks.

Yep. You can set send & receive to any of channels 1 to 16, and local on or off.

The MIDI implementation is pretty good. It's a shame they didn't include USB audio, though, since Yamaha's other keyboards have it, even the lower end PSR's as well as the MX and MODX and up "pro" boards.

• @StudioES

Yep. You can set send & receive to any of channels 1 to 16, and local on or off.

The MIDI implementation is pretty good. It's a shame they didn't include USB audio, though, since Yamaha's other keyboards have it, even the lower end PSR's as well as the MX and MODX and up "pro" boards.

Thanks for the info, good to know. Was looking at MIDI controllers with a built-in synth engine, & the Digitone Keys is a bit pricey, but it has the Elektron sequencer, & step-locking FM parameters is an infinite source of sample fodder.

Yeah, I like the sound of the DigiTone from what I have seen online. $1100 for the keys, even on sale, though.

Maybe look at the 4 octave Yamaha MX??? The keys are a bit light/small-ish, but I think it's only about $500, and would give you a USB audio interface, as well as the built in sounds. I don't know if the Korg Kross has USB audio, or not. I have a Roland Juno DS, but it only runs USB audio when you use the special driver on a desktop system, sadly - NOT "class compliant" audio.

• Regarding using a synth or arranger as a controller. I have 3 controllers with full size keys (a 4 octave and a couple 2 octave), and they all feel weird - stiff or "spongy". I personally can't really recommend them, I would prefer just to get a Casio (all but the cheapest are velocity sensitive), and velcro on a knobs + pads controller to the top of it. I'm NOT a piano player, I don't use weighted keys, but most dedicated controllers' keys just feel bad :-(

• Clean! I've never seen a x0xb0x with a gold top. Very cool. Love those Adams too.

• At home, Got an iconnectivity audio4+ with a beatstep and qnexus , tannoy speakers monitors, yamaha sub, 12ch tapco mixer .

Mpc one, and some other samplers n synths.

On the commute I take the iPad and a nanokeystudio, and the mpc one, and a little box with all the needed cables extra headphones n such stays in my backpack all the time.

• iPad is in a pretty bouncy rubber case and is stored inside a second zip up case, mpc one goes in a bag inside the backpack ( to protect screens and keep backpack lint outa my gear. )

I’m looking to build a live rig , I will mount everything in a oversized briefcase size flightcase, probly an iPad, a large battery, mc707, interface and mixer. Probly use a Bluetooth midi adapter to make the mpc one and or mc707 link with the iPad. And probly will use the qnexus or nanokeystudio for keys. Been looking at controllers but I’m really only looking at Bluetooth enabled and there isn’t much. I don’t wanna have to buy lots of adapters cuz keeping ONE connected to iOS is a pain enough.

Hop this gave ideas.

• Hi everyone, I have a question about pianos. I consider taking a digital piano I've been thinking about the Korg Home brand (something like this) but I'm not sure. Maybe you know something similar and less expensive? I would be more than happy to get some recommendations from you.