Loading a Single BM3 Bank as an AU

I'm looking a little down the road here obviously, past the early bug fix patches and the addition of an iPhone interface.

Would be pretty (very) useful to be able to load a single saved bank as an AU in other apps, and take advantage of the fantastic sampler instrument in that way.

Oscar

Comments

• In other words make BM3 sampler a stand-alone AU instrument?

• BM3 Light / Bm3 Player, good idea

• edited August 2017
    @Hansson0728 @realdavidai
    Yeah, that (all of the above)
  • First thing I thought of when I saw BM3. Could have been the Kontakt of iOS
  • Could still be!
  • This would be amazing.

• I can see the appeal of this for people that have invested in other daws and IAP in those daws. But would much rather intua just continue to focus on BM3 and gradually add/nail the best features/workflows from those other daws, making an AU version mostly pointless ;)
  • @Heyez I was personally thinking more towards live performance purposes and the 'Kontakt for iOS thing makes a lot of sense to me too. Becoming the 'standard' format for sharing samples on a platform is a powerful position to be in!
  • edited August 2017
    Yeh, that's definitely something I can see sense in. I just imported a ton of Kontakt instrument/percussive/noise samples across from my daw pc.. Gradually going to rebuild some of them them in BM3.. Would be cool if that kind of work slowly became unnecessary after the BM3 sampler becoming the 'standard' like you describe.. Personally I wouldn't need it as an AU but if that kind of move helped in terms of more BM3 sampler instruments being available etc then it can't be a bad thing ;)

Edit - Also if intua started making that kind of move and it looked promising financially, I'd bet NI would suddenly wake up and a Kontakt AU would appear overnight.. Which would be a pretty cool twist ;)
  • Standardising on a messy proprietary format such as Kontakt or ESX is never a good idea in the long run...
    What is needed is a truly open format for both meta-data and wave/sample-data.

• Interesting insight @samu, perspective I hadn't thought about.

I didn't think about the 'Kontakt for iOS' idea until @realdavidai mentioned it. Personally I was thinking more of 'running light' for live performance, loading instruments in AUM and operating them with MIDI controllers.

It makes a lot of sense though as if there's going to be a Mac version of BM3, people who prefer that platform could prepare sample packs there and then they could be loaded into any iOS instrument as well as used on the Mac platform. Powerful shit!
  • As long as the file format is somewhat open it's always possible to write a 'converter'.

Converters are almost always a compromise since not all parameters are the same or behave the same way.
    Different filter-types, envelope timings etc.

But as for pure sample-mapping (velocity & key-ranges) it should be fairly straight forward.
    It would be up to the host to decide if it can do 'layering & layer crossfading' of the imported samples or not.

As long as the samples themselves are kept 'open' it's always possible to re-create the patch.
    But if we start with 'closed encryption' of the samples then we're in the no no no no zone...

• @samu its not something I know much about but almost all the Kontakt libraries I wanted to pull across were open as far as having samples folders with wavs. That was just random luck I think though. Plenty of others are locked with the closed Kontakt encryption.
    Dunno how much patience/success I'll have when it comes to re-building some in BM3 tho..
  • @Heyez said:
    @samu its not something I know much about but almost all the Kontakt libraries I wanted to pull across were open as far as having samples folders with wavs. That was just random luck I think though. Plenty of others are locked with the closed Kontakt encryption.
    Dunno how much patience/success I'll have when it comes to re-building some in BM3 tho..

I've come across both variants...

I don't use much 'presets'(but I will re-consider it once/if we get 'pad presets' and 'per pad macros').

Usually I just drag the samples I need onto pads and go from there.
    That's the way I work with trackers and for me it's highly applicable to BM3 as well :)

In some other cases I just load an AUv3/IAA to one pad and sample the sounds and go from there.

I'm looking forward to real-time manipulation of sample-start, sample length and loop length parameters.
    (Ie. something similar to what can be done with the Korg Volca).

Back to the topic.

I feel the biggest challenge in making a 'BM3 AUv3' would be on how to handle the files.
    There would have to be some kind of 'sample sync area' between the BM3.app and the BM3-AUv3?!

Don't know if AUv3's will be able to access content from the iOS11 Files.app but if they can that could be one way to solve it...

• @samu said:

@Heyez said:
    @samu its not something I know much about but almost all the Kontakt libraries I wanted to pull across were open as far as having samples folders with wavs. That was just random luck I think though. Plenty of others are locked with the closed Kontakt encryption.

I've come across both variants...

I don't use much 'presets'(but I will re-consider it once/if we get 'pad presets' and 'per pad macros').

Usually I just drag the samples I need onto pads and go from there.
    That's the way I work with trackers and for me it's highly applicable to BM3 as well :)

In some other cases I just load an AUv3/IAA to one pad and sample the sounds and go from there.

I'm looking forward to real-time manipulation of sample-start, sample length and loop length parameters.
    (Ie. something similar to what can be done with the Korg Volca).

Back to the topic.

I feel the biggest challenge in making a 'BM3 AUv3' would be on how to handle the files.
    There would have to be some kind of 'sample sync area' between the BM3.app and the BM3-AUv3?!

Don't know if AUv3's will be able to access content from the iOS11 Files.app but if they can that could be one way to solve it...

Yeah, very technical considerations. I was thinking in mind of a @brambos kind of thing where if you load the app you get one thing and when you load the AU (official disclaimer: I'm living in a post 'Audiobus Forum Political Correctness' paradigm regarding the term 'AUv3', however technically accurate it is) you get another, more streamlined thing. I've got no idea of the technical ramifications involved to the developer.

In comparison to your use case, as primarily an instrumental performer everything is an 'instrument' to me. I build sample banks from my real instruments or new creations inside the digital realm which offer me some previously inaccessible performance possibility (almost always with controllers or controller apps) and then I perform with them! For my own personal use case, building instruments in the full on app and then loading a light version (I'm just thinking of something that loads a single bank at a time and probably just shows the 'pads' screen with the extra mod/pitch/sums/repeat tabs in its UI) in AUM, AB or something similar makes perfect logical/functional sense to my workflow.

• edited August 2017

If BM3 ever gets an AUv3-PlugIn I hope it will be heavily inspired by Serato Sample :)

(Many of those features would be totally awesome to have in BM3).

• Good stuff in this thread!