Set Default BPM (currently 120)

I work in 170 BPM almost exclusively, it would save a few taps for every project i make and would probably save other users who focus on a specific genre some time as well. Could be hidden in the settings somewhere

Comments

• Ditto. Long time campaigner for this simple change @lums. Relieved I'm not the only one to be honest!

https://intua.net/forums/discussion/5429/f#latest
    https://intua.net/forums/discussion/4829/new-general-setting-bpm#latest

• How is it 120, my default is 90 ?

• @5pinlink said:
    How is it 120, my default is 90 ?

Oh right, my bad. Takes even longer to scroll it up to 170 :D

• @Nick said:
    Ditto. Long time campaigner for this simple change @lums. Relieved I'm not the only one to be honest!

https://intua.net/forums/discussion/5429/f#latest
    https://intua.net/forums/discussion/4829/new-general-setting-bpm#latest

Neat, haven't been on the forums much but was annoyed every time i started a new session, in a weekly workflow it really would save a lot of time for me. Could just make it look like the other session global tune option, but neat annotation :smiley:

• @lums said:

@5pinlink said:
    How is it 120, my default is 90 ?

Oh right, my bad. Takes even longer to scroll it up to 170 :D

Double click it and type 170 or hit x2 and scroll down 10 ;)
    Yes I want a default setting too, but they will stop it annoying you.
    I’m lucky I am in nose bleed neurofunk mode at the moment, so I just hit x2 and work at 180 lol

• 70 is my swagger

• Doesn't the 120 BPM default have something to do with Ableton Link being enabled?
    V

• Not unless something else is link enabled first, Link always follows the BPM of the link session you join.

• I don't get why the default session tempo is 90, while every sample dragged onto a pad gets a default tempo of 120. new recordings made in the app abide the current session tempo, at least.

• BM3 tries to figure out what the tempo of the dragged sample is. Some samples have BPM info 'baked in' and it doesn't always match the samples actual tempo. When Link is 'enabled' it does actually default to 120BPM since Link doesn't care what the hosts tempo was set to before it gets enabled. (So when Link is enabled BM3 defaults to 120BPM instead of 90BPM). This plagues all apps that deal with Link. After link is enabled changing the tempo syncs the other apps...

I personally prefer lower BPMs in favour of of something in the 120-140 range since I can't keep a tight timing at higher BPMs ;)

One thing that could be neat when creating a new session is to have a tap-tempo button right there in the create new session dialogue... (This is one feature I use all the time in LogicPro X).

• @samu said:
    When Link is 'enabled' it does actually default to 120BPM since Link doesn't care what the hosts tempo was set to before it gets enabled. (So when Link is enabled BM3 defaults to 120BPM instead of 90BPM). This plagues all apps that deal with Link. After link is enabled changing the tempo syncs the other apps...

Thanks Samu, I thought so.

One thing that could be neat when creating a new session is to have a tap-tempo button right there in the create new session dialogue... (This is one feature I use all the time in LogicPro X).

BM2 has Tap Tempo, perhaps INTUA can add that back into BM3.

• edited October 2017
    That isnt what happens here, when i enable link the tempo stays the same, it doesnt change to 120BPM.
    So is this a bug in BM3 if it supposed to do what @samu says ?

Ok just tried a bunch more apps, non of their tempos change when you enable link, pretty sure what i typed is correct ;)
  • From the Link FAQ
    "How does Link decide whose tempo to use?
    When starting a session, Link uses the tempo from the app who has been in the Link session the longest. For example, if one person starts an app with Link enabled before anyone else does, this app’s tempo is chosen as the initial tempo for the session."

There is no 120 default for link ;)

• I stand corrected. In my case it's mostly IAA Zombie's that 'get stuck' at some other tempo than the tempo set in the session I'm opening thus 'Link' overrides the saved sessions tempo since it's opened after the Link tempo is already set. I avoid Link equally much as I avoid using AudioBus. I honestly prefer 'host sync' when ever it's applicable...

• I only use Link over LAN for some basic stuff, i avoid multiple apps at the same time on a single iPad like the plague ;)
    Audiobus/AUM all that stuff, just never going to be used by me, and i have next to non of the stability issues some complain about haha
  • edited October 2017
    Good strategy @5pinlink - I think I get your vibe! The only question I would put there would be AUM. I suppose I am a little protective of it as I was a beta tester, but yes - the only quality product for iOS that I would recommend if want to go that route would be AUM - it’s as close to system as you can get with iOS architecture :)
  • Oh im not saying dont use it, some stuff cant be done without it, i just cant be arsed with instability, so i stick to simple set ups.
  • > so i stick to simple set ups.

100% :)
  • edited October 2017

Getting back to the original question, my view is that BPM is something I usually set once and then forget (perhaps to be tweaked a little later down the line). It's therefore hard for me to support the need of a global preference for this over some of the much more pressing default settings we need for things like pattern grid divisions, pattern length, quantise settings, automation enable, record chords to pattern midi etc..