BeatMaker Batch Kit Creator

Hello! I've recently started using BeatMaker 2, and needed to convert hundreds of folders of samples for use with the app.

While the Intua BeatPack app is nice for doing one-off kits, it wasn't suited for crunching through hundreds of folders of samples.

So after some sleuthing, I created a simple utility that will scan a "master" folder and create .bmk kit files for each subfolder (and associated samples) it finds. You can then copy all samples and kits to BM2 using iFunbox, rescan the database, and off you go.

You can download the utility here:

BeatMaker_Batch_Kit_Creator.zip

Sorry to my Mac people, this is PC-only at the moment.

Here's the readme (also included in the zip):
BeatMaker Batch Kit Creator:

This utility automatically creates drum kits for use with Intua's BeatMaker2 iOS app. It scans a folder path, and creates .bmk kit files for each subfolder of samples it finds.

How to use it:

- Create a master samples folder that will be scanned
- Inside the master folder, create subfolders for your kits, and place the associated samples there.
- Name the subfolders as you want them to appear in BM2.
- Start the .exe
- Paste the path to the master samples folder in the text field. (you can copy the path from a windows explorer window)
- Click START
- The utility will now scan each subfolder it finds, and create .bmk files containing the samples inside
- On your iPad, close BM2 if it's running
- Copy the folders (samples and .bmk files) to BM2, using iFunbox
- In your iPad settings, go to BM2 settings, and enable the "Update Database" option. (this option will automatically reset to off once you run BM2)
- Start BM2.
- You will see a dialog box asking you to perform database update. Hit "Yes". this process may take a few minutes depending on how much content you have.
- Once database has been updated, you should be able to locate the kits in the location where you copied them.

Notes:

- you can use up to 128 samples per kit
- supports .wav, .aif, .aiff formats

Comments

• Hey @misho !

This is impressive and I'm sure this will help a lot of people to create kits for BM2. I will try your tool later today and give some feedback.

Thanks !
    Mathieu.
  • Seems to make .Bmk files and not .Bmk2 files.
    These aren't recognized.
    Can this be changed?
  • Paint said:

Seems to make .Bmk files and not .Bmk2 files.
    These aren't recognized.
    Can this be changed?

.bmk files are recognized. But you'll need to enable "Update Database" in iPad / BM2 settings, then run BM2, as described above. You'll then see the .bmk presets.

.bmk2 files are more complex than .bmk files, so I figured I'd start with the easy option for the first version. Will look more into it again at some point.
  • I stand corrected.
    Your application works fine.
    I made a silly mistake.
    Great tool..
  • edited December 2016
    Hey @misho, any plans to release the source code on Github ? It could be a nice collaborative project. We could sure help you with file formats used in BM2 as well.

Cheers !
    Mathieu.
  • I WISH THERE WAS A TOOL TO COVERT SOUNDS FOR THE KEYBOARD INSIDE OF BM2!
  • edited January 2017
    intua said:

Hey @misho, any plans to release the source code on Github ? It could be a nice collaborative project. We could sure help you with file formats used in BM2 as well.

Cheers !
    Mathieu.

Sure! I don't have much experience with GitHub, but I could probably get it up there. It's pretty kludgey though... :)

edit: I should add that this was built in AutoHotKey.
  • I WISH THERE WAS A TOOL TO COVERT SOUNDS FOR THE KEYBOARD INSIDE OF BM2!

I WISH THERE WAS A TOOL TO COVERT SOUNDS FOR THE KEYBOARD INSIDE OF BM2!

I looked into that too. The keyboard instrument format requires knowing the length of each audio file, in samples. I ran into challenges getting this info for each sample programmatically. I'll give it another go soon. At best, it would probably just play the instruments as one shots, without sustain looping.
  • edited January 2017
    misho said:

Hello! I've recently started using BeatMaker 2, and needed to convert hundreds of folders of samples for use with the app.

While the Intua BeatPack app is nice for doing one-off kits, it wasn't suited for crunching through hundreds of folders of samples.

So after some sleuthing, I created a simple utility that will scan a "master" folder and create .bmk kit files for each subfolder (and associated samples) it finds. You can then copy all samples and kits to BM2 using iFunbox, rescan the database, and off you go.

You can download the utility here:

BeatMaker_Batch_Kit_Creator.zip

Sorry to my Mac people, this is PC-only at the moment.

Here's the readme (also included in the zip):

BeatMaker Batch Kit Creator:

This utility automatically creates drum kits for use with Intua's BeatMaker2 iOS app. It scans a folder path, and creates .bmk kit files for each subfolder of samples it finds.

How to use it:

- Create a master samples folder that will be scanned
    - Inside the master folder, create subfolders for your kits, and place the associated samples there.
    - Name the subfolders as you want them to appear in BM2.
    - Start the .exe
    - Paste the path to the master samples folder in the text field. (you can copy the path from a windows explorer window)
    - Click START
    - The utility will now scan each subfolder it finds, and create .bmk files containing the samples inside
    - On your iPad, close BM2 if it's running
    - Copy the folders (samples and .bmk files) to BM2, using iFunbox
    - In your iPad settings, go to BM2 settings, and enable the "Update Database" option. (this option will automatically reset to off once you run BM2)
    - Start BM2.
    - You will see a dialog box asking you to perform database update. Hit "Yes". this process may take a few minutes depending on how much content you have.
    - Once database has been updated, you should be able to locate the kits in the location where you copied them.

Notes:

- you can use up to 128 samples per kit
    - supports .wav, .aif, .aiff formats

Bro you are single handedly the most impressive man of 2016. You deserve the IOS Man of the year for this OMG. I would love to showcase this app on my youtube channel Shazamm The Ipad Producer. The software worked so fast I didnt think it worked then I checked the folder and BAAAAAMMMMM LOL Impresive Most Impresive
  • misho said:

Paint said:

Seems to make .Bmk files and not .Bmk2 files.
    These aren't recognized.
    Can this be changed?

.bmk files are recognized. But you'll need to enable "Update Database" in iPad / BM2 settings, then run BM2, as described above. You'll then see the .bmk presets.

.bmk2 files are more complex than .bmk files, so I figured I'd start with the easy option for the first version. Will look more into it again at some point.
    Please tell me you are a beta tester and making one of these for BM3
  • I've been trying to get a copy of the BeatMaker_Batch_Kit_Creator.zip file referenced in this thread but it seems that it is no longer available. Does anyone have the file available to rehost for those of us trying to convert some of our samples to .bmk2 patch banks? Thanks a lot in advance.

• edited November 2017

Hope you don’t mind, I’ve spread this thread over at Audiobus forum.. lots of BeatMaker fans on there too...

• Broken link now?

• Yep, link borked....

• Bump... Anyone has a copy of the file that may be hosted in a Dropbox or anywhere to share?

• Oh man. This would sooooo great for BM3.

• I'm trying to get a copy. Shazamm made it even more popular with his YouTube video ().

• @Prophessor Yes me too. I emailed his as well. If we get let’s share the love.
  • @chaztrip said:
    @Prophessor Yes me too. I emailed his as well. If we get let’s share the love.

@chaztrip you have an agreement. I'm converting and assembling my Maschine and MPC kits along with getting a 128GB iPad Mini 4 so I can convert them into BMK files to load them on my iPad for supreme studio mobility.

iPad Mini with Beatmaker 3, Auria, Apogee One, CME 25 key Bluetooth keys, and these triple driver earbuds (https://www.amazon.com/1MORE-Headphones-Earphones-Compatible-Microphone/dp/B01KB9K9Z0/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1511960360&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=triple+driver+earbuds&th=1) and you have a supreme mobile studio. I'm trying so hard to get my hands on the batch converter.

• What I am curious about is the layout of the pads in a bank? This thing just throws them in there correct? It’s early and don’t have my coffee,but is it easy to move the pad assignments around?

• I don't but I will take having the banks (100s) created for me automagically and then work on reassigning the sounds to conform with my workflow than having to manually set up each bank, like I do when sampling. Getting my hands on the batch converter is objective 1 then correcting the layout of the sounds on the pads will become secondary, if necessary.

• Bump... Anyone has this batch converter file available

• I might have it on my machine I’ll check tonight.
  • null

@eclipxe that would be great if you do and willing to share. Thanks a lot in advance.
  • edited November 2017

The site was down before, and oddly enough I still couldn't get to it on my phone, but my PC was able to load the site, and I've downloaded the utility. I'm gonna upload it to our resources Dropbox folder in case it goes down again.

Looks like it might be due to some weirdness with the "www" in the address. this link should work:
    http://tetmusic.com/BeatMaker_Batch_Kit_Creator.zip

shout out http://isup.me for showing me that the site was up as long as you removed the www

• since this was made with AutoHotKey, and it was compiled to an exe without a password, I was able to convert it back from an exe to an ahk file, so we now have the source. I respect that this was created by @misho, but they haven't been back to the forum since February, and they seemed keen on sharing the source. so, if anyone else is familiar with AutoHotKey and has time to look at this for ideas to improve it or to adapt it to directly create bmk2 or bmk3 files, here you go (attached)

• ronji YOU ARE THE MAN.... Thank you so much!!!! B)

• ronji said:

since this was made with AutoHotKey, and it was compiled to an exe without a password, I was able to convert it back from an exe to an ahk file, so we now have the source. I respect that this was created by @misho, but they haven't been back to the forum since February, and they seemed keen on sharing the source. so, if anyone else is familiar with AutoHotKey and has time to look at this for ideas to improve it or to adapt it to directly create bmk2 or bmk3 files, here you go (attached)

Interesting. I use autohotkey. Will look into it. Thanks for this. 
  • Hello, i found this thread searching for a way to batch create bm2 kits out of Maschine kit folders. Thanks to Shazamm - the iPad Producer for the tutorial by the way ;-)

Is there a new approach (maybe even for mac) for making BM3 kits.?

I loaded Maschine kits in Maschine 2 Software and saved the kits with samples. This way i get a folder named as i want with 16 (or more) samples in the folder. Is there something in work like the batch creator in this thread?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
    Sedat

• edited March 2018

@WillieNegus said:
    Was there any updates to the Batch Creator or anything like this available for Mac? @ronji, @mefisme...Anyone?

No, it was abandoned by the previous creator and only written in autohotkey (a scripting language for PC). I started coding a new one for all platforms in python but havent worked on it much and changed my mind. I've come to realize I'm getting ahead of myself and need to continue my support to other things first.

How many kits you need batched?

The quickest way is still the old version, open in BM2 and resave, then file transfer to BM3. Or just speed building in BM2/3.