Having some banks/pads aux sends confusement.

edited December 2017 in Support

I’m extremely confused with some of the sends behavior with banks and/or pads.

What I do understand:

• Banks/audio tracks have independent send control (macros)
  • Pads do not as their macro controls are tied to the bank. We would need independent macros per pad to have full independence.

What I’m confused with is this:
1. I have an entire banks volume turned down or I map the volume of the whole bank to a knob on my midi controller.
2. On that same bank I had some other sends being fed to a few other global effects (auxes)
3. If I bring the volume down on the fader, it’s not bringing the global volume down of everything inside that bank.
4. This makes me hear the auxiliary sends as if they were soloed regardless of post/pre sends behavior.
5. Per individual pad volume it works as intended.

So am I doing something wrong? The audio output for the entire bank goes down as intended when I bring the fader down, but the signal for each pad is still being fed to auxes. I was under the impression the volume fader for the entire bank would globally adjust volume for the entire bank (not send anything into aux tracks)

I don’t know how to set this up. Am I going to have to map the volume fader of every single pads volume to the same macro just to kill its signal from being fed into aux tracks? So confused. Sorry for any idiocracy if I’m not understanding something.

Comments

• edited December 2017

Yeah a banks output is a bus not a VCA, which is what you want, VCAs are great for that because they control each volume within the VCA group, so yeah setting up a macro as VCA should do you fine :)

As per traditional analogue desks, bus's don't affect sends pre or post, that is why VCAs are used ;)

• A small thought though, a macro will never work as a proper VCA though because it doesn't work relative, so if you turn down the macro -2 all volumes will be -2, a real VCA would subtract 2 from all the current values.

Damn we need relative macros option please @mathieugarcia lol

• edited December 2017

@5pinlink said:
    Yeah a banks output is a bus not a VCA, which is what you want, VCAs are great for that because they control each volume within the VCA group, so yeah setting up a macro as VCA should do you fine :)

As per traditional analogue desks, bus's don't affect sends pre or post, that is why VCAs are used ;)

I didn’t know what i was setting up was called at all. So I’m setting up a VCA grouping across each bank/track! Cool and thanks! It essentially allows me to ride the volume fader down with the auxs functioning as a group per bank. I can now fade out with any aux effect. I guess I should set this up as a whole separate session because if I want to override these mapping’s it requires a lot of unbinding.

• edited December 2017

I need an unbind all button in the macros. Lol. Either that or save macros option.

• edited December 2017

@5pinlink said:
    A small thought though, a macro will never work as a proper VCA though because it doesn't work relative, so if you turn down the macro -2 all volumes will be -2, a real VCA would subtract 2 from all the current values.

Damn we need relative macros option please @mathieugarcia lol

+1 Yeah that’s what I’m currently struggling with. I’ve got literally every pads volume fader mapped to the same macro. I can’t assign anything else to the fader once I’ve done this. And all are locked to the single macro. So it’s not a true VCA, but i guess it’s sorta functioning like one?

• Its a macro not a VCA, would be a VCA if it was relative, we need relative setting in the macro, not sure unbind would be as useful as a bypass, unbind you would have to set up again, global bypass could be tapped off and on.

• @5pinlink said:
    Its a macro not a VCA, would be a VCA if it was relative, we need relative setting in the macro, not sure unbind would be as useful as a bypass, unbind you would have to set up again, global bypass could be tapped off and on.

Good thinking. Bypass. Reset up would be just as equally painful.