Global macros (or MIDI learn)

2»

Comments

• @mefisme I'm not sure I follow. In the second video, you see everything I do, including set the midi input on that bank to my Korg nanoKontrol midi controller, connected via USB and Apple CCK. I didn't override BM3 as far as I know.

• @ronji said:
    @mefisme I'm not sure I follow. In the second video, you see everything I do, including set the midi input on that bank to my Korg nanoKontrol midi controller, connected via USB and Apple CCK. I didn't override BM3 as far as I know.

At the beginning of the video in Midi Wrench and when you set your Korg nanokontrol it shows you have a virtual midi port for your nanokontrol. Oh wait is that BM3s virtual midi port?

• @mefisme Honestly I have no idea haha. Here’s another video, showing again that it works, but it is weird, and I do get a bad crackle at the 2:00 mark. Again, there’s delayed audio cuz I switched apps during recording. The beginning shows that nothing is connected, and then I connect the nanoKontrol. No idea why there’s a separate listing in virtual midi for slider/knob, but I’m not convinced this really matters.

The weirdness you see me trying to figure out in the first half of the video is due to automatoin getting recorded into pattern 1 for some reason. This is likely just still needing to be ironed out with the whole midi cc automation setup in BM3. Note there’s no track midi button next to track automation, and remember how we have to activate the pattern in order to record automation into the pattern. It’s also weird to me that you can’t see the position of the controls that are being automated with midi unless they’re moving and a sound is playing. This all makes this difficult to really use.

• edited January 2018

@ronji hahaha the pattern mid is just gone and the button. Only on the first bar you recorded it stayed? Definitely an unfinished feature and buggy as a cockroach. Trying to draw in predefined CC paramaters and then adding a bank will crash BM3 so users don't do it.

• @mefisme no, it recorded into the first pattern, I finally realized this, then I activated pattern two and it recorded to that pattern as I expected it to. I intended to activate pattern 2 to begin with, but obviously I didn't haha. I double tapped an empty bar thinking I would create a new pattern, but it repeated pattern 1 (which it always does and I always forget), and when I opened the track helper to activate pattern 2 is when I realized it. I should have gone back to activate pattern 2 right after I successfully created it by duplicating pattern 1.

• @ronji said:
    @mefisme no, it recorded into the first pattern, I finally realized this, then I activated pattern two and it recorded to that pattern as I expected it to. I intended to activate pattern 2 to begin with, but obviously I didn't haha. I double tapped an empty bar thinking I would create a new pattern, but it repeated pattern 1 (which it always does and I always forget), and when I opened the track helper to activate pattern 2 is when I realized it. I should have gone back to activate pattern 2 right after I successfully created it by duplicating pattern 1.

That’s good it’s capturing to patterns only based on loop brace. So essentially a lengthy pattern duration would work. Have you tried modulating anything else besides gain? Also, I noticed CC#14 is undefined. So after CC assignment in modulations panel to another value that isn’t undefined, do you get the same results?

• @mefisme yeah, I actually just did some tests cuz I was trying to get a crash like you and @5pinlink were describing, but I haven't yet. I've successfully had three separate knobs affect gain, pan, and saturation, and I've created CC automation lanes without using the controller, drew the automation, and then assigned the same CC to a control. It's all still half baked, like you need to tweak things to get the results you might expect, and there's way less support than there is for macros when it comes to setting minimums and maximums and all that. Also, the saturation control has an output gain that's hidden, but you can see it in the automation lanes when you go to add an automation manually. This makes it so that using CC on saturation does nothing if the saturation knob itself is all the way down, even if the CC takes it all the way up. You have to turn the saturation knob up to something like 20% before you might notice the effect.

@mathieugarcia hey man you got any insight on this midi cc stuff for us? :joy:

• @ronji I just created a thread requesting info on internal CCs as well. We need to know I think. Especially since your getting this sort of working.

• @ronji for the crash you have to assign a labeled MIDI CC (i used 70) then un assign it by clear all, then reassign it and it crashes.

• edited January 2018

Btw, I set rozeta lfo to control a parameter (like gain) via midi cc, and the effect is not heard on the export. =( More evidence we need to stay away from midi cc until it's fixed.

Actually I stand corrected, recorded midi cc automation IS heard on the export, it's rozeta going live that isn't heard on export (or at least rozeta LFO, haven't tried other rozeta tools).

• edited January 2018

And on the subject of zipper noise, here’s an example of rozeta lfo recorded midi cc vs hand drawn, both done with grid set to free and automation record set to 1/64. Zipper noise on the first half, no zipper noise (that I could detect) on the second half.

Oh haha, the straight line in the first half is when I used the line tool to straighten out the curve to see if it had any effect with grid set to free, and of course it didn’t...duh. The line tool doesn’t add nodes, it just places existing nodes in a line.

• There should be interpolate built in to any recieved MIDI CC, be it from hardware or AU MIDI or indeed drawn automation, this combined witha simplify command etc makes automation much easier to work.
    The lack of any interpolation may also be the reason we dont have any curves yet, obviously they are interpolated between two points.

• Hope it's fixable. (Global) macros are a pretty big part of what I plan to do using bm3. Obviously crackles or whatever totally scupper that.

Also not sure if relevant, but I had BeatMaker being transport and bpm sync'd from my OT and 3 instances of zeeon and some other stuff. Some zeeon sequenced from OT, some zeeon sequenced in BM3. Touching controls in Rozeta would cause audio glitch and then I'd instantly audibly lose sync with the OT....

• +1 Global MIDI